lunch on the trail

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Bdavis32
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

lunch on the trail

Post by Bdavis32 »

I am trying to diversify my meals when backpacking and was wondering what some of your favorite lunches on the trail are? My wife and I usually do mac n cheese or ramen then have some trail mix/cliff bar/jerky/etc. Looking to expand our horizons. Interested to know what other people do.

Cheers!
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: lunch on the trail

Post by toddnick »

I generally buy one of the sandwiches from the camp store and add hummus with those pretzel rings as well as beef jerky...a meal that I look forward to day after day...
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

When I'm backpacking I actually have very little appetite during the day; but I recognize the need to keep my carbohydrate level up, so I usually stop for a pack of cheese crackers, and maybe a nut-and-chocolate protein bar. It's more than enough.
Jen

Post by Jen »

The only time I do a real lunch while backpacking is day one. I usually pack in a deli sandwich for the first day. The rest of the days I just eat jerky and protein bars.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

One year we came across a sale of those small packs of mandarin oranges and that was a real treat for lunch on the trail. Of course we could have just packed some oranges but those are real work.

Other than that it is usually peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, nuts and granola bars.

Lyman
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Post by isleroyaleguy »

PBJ wraps....Foil pack tuna and crackers. ...Pepperoni and crackers. ...those are our 3 lunch options .
IRG
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

We are usually day hiking but we split a deli sandwich w home grown GA tomatoes, chips, flathead cherries when available, and a oatmeal cookie w crunchy Pnt butter.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

If I'm on a day hike, I sometimes take a sandwich,whole wheat bagels or English muffins(buttered), otherwise same as backpacking snack stuff.
Backpacking I snack on nuts, cashews, walnuts, almonds, peanuts, dried blueberries, high fiber brownie 90 calories 5 grams fiber(FiberOne brand)

I can't eat all the "good stuff" I used to eat like candy bars and cinnamon buns :(
Since I'm now on a more disciplined(for me) diet.
Oh well...

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

I just carry a keg of beer on my back with some crackers and peanut butter!

:D
PJ

Post by PJ »

Day 1 Beefstick, cheese, wheat thins, Almond Joy (sometimes a sandwich, chips and cookies)
Day 2 Fantastic Foods Refried Beans & shredded cheddar or a cheese stick, Fritos and Taco Bell Fire Sauce, Biscotti (add hot water at breakfast to beans & cheese and wrap it up, it will still be warm at lunch)
Day 3 Pasta Salad, Mars Almond Bar (Ramen without packet, 2 T. dried or freeze dried veggies, 2 T. Dried Parmesan Cheese, packet Italian Dressing (this time add 1 cup cold water and dressing at breakfast and it will rehydrate as you hike.) We used to do wraps on Day 3, but they are heavy, with tortillas, chicken, mayo packet, relish packet, onion packet.
Day 4 The other half of the beefstick if we haven't used it for breakfast, cheese, wheat thins again. Sweet and Salty Nut Bar.
Nodust

Post by Nodust »

I enjoy the tuna packets with tortillas. Put some precooked bacon on it when you start getting tired to just tuna. The longer the trip the more I get tired of the food I brought.

Packit Gourmet is really good for breakfast & dinner
Knorrs rice sides supplemented with harmony house dried onions, bell peppers, and precooked bacon is good
I like the harmony house dehydrated veggies. I can add them to ramen, Knorrs rice sides, and just about anything that I'm getting tired of eating just to change it up.
brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by brindledog »

daveparker wrote:I just carry a keg of beer on my back with some crackers and peanut butter!

Now here's a man we'd all like to hike with!
IndianaTom

Post by IndianaTom »

Packet of Tuna
Miracle Whip Packet
Relish Packet
Triscuit Crackers
With a Fruit Snack Dessert
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

mozzarella and pepper jack cheese sticks
Last edited by Straight Arrow on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poky5mom
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by poky5mom »

daveparker wrote:I just carry a keg of beer on my back with some crackers and peanut butter!

I want to hike with you Dave!

Return to “Favorite backpacking recipes and food for the Trail”