Summary of Good Eating Places

Have you had a good, bad or indifferent experience at a restaurant in the Glacier area? Let us know about it right here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

McNeill78
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Summary of Good Eating Places

Post by McNeill78 »

Okay this is based a little on tripadvisor which I know is a big no no and of course the chat forum but this is what I will be using the next two weeks.

Babb - Glacier Edge Cafe - Good breakfast
Babb - Cattleman - expensive but good steak
MG - Swiftcurrent Restaurant - Pizza only
MG - OTHER OPTIONS???
East Glacier - Luna's - Pie for sure
East Glacier - Serrano's - Pork dish
East Glacier - Rock & Roll Bakery - Pie for sure
St Mary - Two Dog Flats Cafe - Pork dish
St Mary - Two Sisters - everything
St Mary - Snow Goose - better than new Park Cafe
St Mary - Johnston's - Okay plus
McDonald Lodge area - NEED OPTIONS???

Also, will it be too late for Huckleberry items?

Thanks for your help.
pitamakan

Re: Summary of Good Eating Places

Post by pitamakan »

West side dining? I think the best place around west Glacier by far is the Belton Chalet, though it's a little high end and only open for dinner. They have a lighter afternoon/evening menu at the bar, too, which is also really good.

Of the three burgers-and-fries places in West Glacier, my favorite is the Glacier Highland. West Glacier Cafe is #2, and also good, though I haven't eaten there since GPI took over. I'd stay away from Eddie's in Apgar, except for the ice cream.

If you're willing to drive just a little ways on Highway 2, all the locals love the Glacier Grill in Coram ... I don't swoon over the food there, but it's definitely fine. The other place there is the Spruce Park Cafe, which is where everybody used to go before the Glacier Grill showed up, and it seems to still have decent diner food.

Of course, the other mandatory adventure is to drive to Polebridge and have dinner at the Northern Lights Saloon. If you're up that way for breakfast or lunch, the take-out hot sandwiches at the Merc are to die for.

From both my own experience and what I've heard from friends, I'd avoid all the Xanterra places in the park for now.

It seems like nearly all the places in East Glacier are at least worth trying, and in St. Mary I always head for Johnson's, with Two Sisters as the alternate.

On the south edge of the park, Summit Mountain Lodge has new owners and I've heard really good things about the place, though I haven't tried it yet. (Dinner only.) And though the Izaak Walton's dining room doesn't seem to be quite what it used to be, it's still worth a visit.

Mark
davidwayne

Post by davidwayne »

Our first two days at Swiftcurrent last year we wanted to eat light, and our party of four all agreed that the large dinner salads were good.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Agreed. I have done soup and salad at swiftcurrent with no complaints.
BCD
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by BCD »

From a neewb
west side dining- 7 miles to Hungry Horse. Elkhorn grill. Midtown, S side of road.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

My group of 4 ate at Belton Chalet last week. The meal was excellent and service was great. However, everyone who ordered an entree at our table had to send their meat back because it was undercooked. Two steaks and one pork chop-- all completely raw when they cut into it-- we're talking red and gellous. We weren't the only table to do so. I saw both a chop and steak go back from the table next to us, and talked to someone at Sperry who sent their steak back that same evening.

Not sure what was going on in the kitchen, but once they were cooked a little longer, everything was delicious.

Glacier Grill in Coram served an excellent breakfast. Eddies . . . meh. Waited forever for cold eggs.
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

We ate at the Northern Lights Saloon in Polebridge. Fun experience! Very laid back. Small menu; Friday is pizza night. They open at 4:00 for dinner only. Here's a short video clip:

The mountains are calling and I must go.
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

My wife and I love Two Sisters pie near Babb/St. Mary. Its our favorite place to eat on the east side of the park.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

smahurin wrote:My wife and I love Two Sisters pie near Babb/St. Mary. Its our favorite place to eat on the east side of the park.
This afternoon, during the course of a minor business transaction, I had the pleasure of talking with "Big John and Susan", the owners of Two Sisters Cafe in Babb.
I told them they had many fans on the Glacier National Park chat. John and Susan appreciate your business and hope to see you again this season.
They told me Two Sisters will open its 24th season this year on June 5th.
Nice folks.
Susan makes sure I get my buffalo burger cooked just like I like it. 8)
Yeeeehawww!
:arrow:

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
jamesdak
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by jamesdak »

Two Sisters is very good and I was pleased with Johnson's too.

The pork pork sandwhich I had at Two Sisters was very, very good and went well with the Huckleberry shake. I'm a man of simple pleasures.

Did not try Park Cafe this year as there rep now is pretty bad.

Return to “Restaurant Reviews and Recomendations”