Snowslip Inn

Have you had a good, bad or indifferent experience at a restaurant in the Glacier area? Let us know about it right here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

distressbark
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Snowslip Inn

Post by distressbark »

After 4 summers working at MGH, nearby Two Sisters became my favorite place to grab a reliably delicious burgers when a break was needed from the hit-or-miss food in the employee dining room. I think the Red Burger is one of the best menu items you can get in the greater Glacier area. That being said, I have now eaten at the Snowslip Inn off Highway 2 twice over the the past couple of years, and I must say it has surpassed Two Sisters as my favorite place around the park to grab a burger. The owner is a super nice guy, who on both of my visits has been our bartender, server and cook. He's a big backcountry skier, so there's lots of cool winter photos around the restaurant. There is a nice little patio area out back that can be a great place to enjoy a bite on a nice summer day. And the food is delicious. Nothing fancy, but the burgers are spectacular, especially after a long day on the trail! Too often I find myself trying to make good time between East Glacier and West Glacier on Highway 2, which I'm sure many of you can relate to... that being said, stop by the Snowslip for a beer and burger some time, I doubt you'll be disappointed!
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Re: Snowslip Inn

Post by wnysteve »

I agree completely about the Snowslip. For years I have passed by it and only visited it last year after hiking in that area. Friendly service, very good food (breakfast, lunch, or supper), and reasonable pricing. And, they are open all year round.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

where along hwy 2 is the snowslip inn?
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

scott-atl wrote:where along hwy 2 is the snowslip inn?
It is between Essex and Summit right near Snowslip Mountain (between McCarthy Flats and Essex to be more precise). It was quite a popular place in the 1970s and as I recall it was a lunch stop for the bus that used to run between Great Falls and West Glacier (and went on to Kalispell I think).

I suspect that it may have changed hands a few times in recent years but maybe someone knows for sure. We stopped there to eat in 2005 but it was closed then and was probably in the process of changing hands then. I believe the place also has (or had) some camping sites. Corrections to my information would certainly be welcome.

Lyman
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

Izaak Walton Inn is at milepost 180 between West Glacier and East Glacier.

Snowslip Inn is at milepost 180 "between East Glacier and West Glacier." http://www.snowslipinn.com I vaguely remember something across the road from Izaak Walton, which would put it on the river side of Highway 2. (Ear Mountain?)

It's my understanding the owner of Izaak Walton Inn has been quietly buying up properties as they become available between East and West Glacier, which may account for the good food. (The Izaak Walton Inn is known for its dining offerings.)

Snowslip Inn also has a motel and tent camping, per its website. I will keep it in mind for July or September hiking of Calf Robe, Dancing Lady, and others in that sector of the Park. I hope the website is updated from 2011.
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

Selkie,

I see that both locations claim Milepost 180, but one of them is wrong. In fact, the two are about ten miles from each other, Snowslip being closer to West Glacier. . Snowslip Inn has an Essex address, but is not at "Essex proper". Snowslip is just a mile, or less, east of Devil Creek Campground. I would say that 180 is the milepost nearest Snowslip.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

The Snowslip Inn is a few miles east of the Izaak Walton on US 2 ... heading east from Essex, it's after you pass through the southern edge of the park and start heading up the Bear Creek drainage towards Marias Pass. The closest Glacier landmark would be the trailhead for the Elk Mountain and Fielding-Coal Creek trails.

I've never stopped there, but I guess I need to add it to my bucket list this year.

The building across US 2 from the Izaak Walton was constructed a couple decades ago as a general store, but it didn't last very long. Other than the Izaak Walton, it seems like a lot of the businesses between East and West Glacier have a hard time making a go of it.

Mark
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

It seems to me that the place across the road from the Izaak Walton was called the Halfway House or something like that. I believe it burned about 2005-08 and was being rebuilt at some point.

The Snowslip Inn that I recall was definitely east of Essex. I had some friends years ago who were hitchhiking in the area and got picked up by a fellow who stopped at the Snowslip Inn. They all went inside to the bar/restaurant and while there the fellow who was giving them a ride went to the restroom. He then crawled out the window, slipped back to his truck and drove off with their backpacks in the back of the truck.

Lyman
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

I confess that I got a chuckle out of that story, Lyman, though I'm sure that back then your friends didn't think it was very funny!

I believe the Half-way House was a little ways west of Essex, though I can't remember exactly ... maybe over by the Pinnacle area. The former General Store by the Essex turnoff is now a house, next to the Quick Response Unit building.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

Thanks for the various corrections.
Snowslip didn't seem right as milepost 180. There was a plowed-out area opposite the entrance to Izaak Walton (which is at 180), and there seemed to be some sort of building, not visibly in use. So that's some other establishment entirely. Snowslip is shown on the map on its website as being east of Izaak Walton.

OK, I won't hitch and leave my backpack in the bed of a pickup!
:shock:

Some of the Forest Service camping sites along Hwy 2 looked fun - deep, dark, quiet, and $10 a night. (I found them a bit scary.)

Let's return to the food: what did you eat there? :lol:
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Selkie wrote:Let's return to the food: what did you eat there? :lol:
It used to be primarily a burger place and it sounds from the reviews that it still is. I have only consumed alcohol there.

Lyman

Return to “Restaurant Reviews and Recomendations”