Ptarmigan Room at Many Glacier Hotel 8/14/13

Have you had a good, bad or indifferent experience at a restaurant in the Glacier area? Let us know about it right here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PJ

Ptarmigan Room at Many Glacier Hotel 8/14/13

Post by PJ »

We ate at the Ptarmigan Room at Many Glacier Hotel for our anniversary. We had planned to enjoy one of their famous Huckleberry Daiquiris before dinner. Alas! No Huck Daiq's! The drink Du Jour is Huckleberry Margaritas! Yuck – I don't like Tequila at all. And the bar has no blender to make one. Que lastima! We headed back to the "waiting area" where we visited with another couple planning to eat early to secure one of the coveted lake view window tables. When the restaurant opened, we went to our table – which would have been hot if the sun was streaming in the coveted windows, but luckily it was overcast most of the time and they had the AC cranked up so we were OK, but I'd urge you to check the weather before eating dinner at 5:00pm there. Have breakfast or lunch, or eat later. But DO eat there, the food was terrific. It is imaginative food done very well for the most part. Rick started with a poached pear and gorgonzola salad which he liked very much, and my (red) bell pepper soup was delicious. The rolls were excellent. The waitress recommended the Bogle Pinot Noir and we both liked it. Rick ordered the special, which was Steelhead with Lemon Sauce and Asparagus; the fish had been flown in that day from Washington. He said it was delicious and said if I'd just try it I would become a fish lover. (He says this about once a decade when he is served really excellent fish.) The sauce was very good, but I still don't like fish. I ordered the Chicken Wellington with Mushroom Duxelles. Unfortunately, there was a layer of cheese between the chicken and the pastry which I did not care for. I ended up scraping the crust off the chicken, which had been charcoal grilled with a rub so it was still good. The rice, sauce and snow peas served with it were all delicious. There was live piano music during dinner that we really enjoyed, it made for a nice, relaxing dinner in a spectacular setting.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Ptarmigan Room at Many Glacier Hotel 8/14/13

Post by Stmarypete »

We just walked in and looked around in the afternoon and I felt that a PBJ would have been excellent in that setting. They have done a wonderful job restoring the classic dining room and would highly recommend going there just for the ambience.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Ptarmigan Room at Many Glacier Hotel 8/14/13

Post by Stmarypete »

We had dinner at the Ptarmigan Room last Friday, my Birthday! The service was good, the view spectacular, and the food variable. I had the Bison filet and it was quite good. My wife had the schnitzle with spatzle and it seemed to be missing a sauce and was quite dry. My daughter had the roast chicken and it was delicious.

Return to “Restaurant Reviews and Recomendations”