Favorite places to eat near St Mary?

Have you had a good, bad or indifferent experience at a restaurant in the Glacier area? Let us know about it right here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Favorite places to eat near St Mary?

Post by llholmes1948 »

Thanks for those reviews on the Glacier Edge, etc. Does anyone know if the Babb Press and the Firehorse Cafe in Babb are still with us or have they departed the scene?

The Babb Press (and also the Firehorse Cafe, I believe but I have never been there) are located on Route 89 north of the junction with the Many Glacier Road so people heading to Many Glacier would not ordinarily pass their locations.

Lyman
Jen

Post by Jen »

Lyman: I am almost certain that the Babb Press is now Glacier Edge.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Jen wrote:Lyman: I am almost certain that the Babb Press is now Glacier Edge.
Jen,

I had wondered about that. The Babb Press, as of a couple years ago. was located right across the highway from Thronson's General Store and Motel and just below the Church on the knoll that gets good cellphone reception. I think the building where the Babb Press was located may have been owned by the Thronsons and leased to the restaurant operators. One post made it sound like the Glacier Edge was right across the road from the Cattle Baron but maybe I misunderstood it.

Lyman
Jen

Post by Jen »

Lyman:
I made a visit to the Babb post office earlier this month. I had made a promise to Farmgirl that I would send a Huckleberry Bear Claw from The Merc. It was then that I realized the Babb Press was no longer there. I didn't take note of the new name but I am willing to bet money that it is Glacier Edge. Jim is still out there. Do I need to request a photo?

Jen
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by MarxMN »

Glacier's Edge cafe is directly across Highway 89 from Thornson's General Store and Motel. The first time I visited the Glacier's Edge cafe was in 2011 - I don't know what it may have been before that.
Jen

Post by Jen »

MarxMN wrote:- I don't know what it may have been before that.
The Babb Press :mrgreen:
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Jen wrote:Lyman:
I made a visit to the Babb post office earlier this month. I had made a promise to Farmgirl that I would send a Huckleberry Bear Claw from The Merc. It was then that I realized the Babb Press was no longer there. I didn't take note of the new name but I am willing to bet money that it is Glacier Edge. Jim is still out there. Do I need to request a photo?
Jen,

No photo is necessary. Thanks to you and Bill, I get the picture now and it is clear that the Glacier Edge is located where the Babb Press used to be. The mystery has been solved and much quicker than the East Glacier Laundromat mystery of a few years ago.

As I recall hearing from others a few years ago, the Firehorse Cafe is (was) located in the same building as the Babb P.O. or was near there. Did you notice if the Cafe is still with us?

Lyman
Jen

Post by Jen »

Yes, Firehorse Cafe is still next door to the P.O.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

i understand the firehorse grill guy cooks on a george foreman grill.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

scott-atl wrote:i understand the firehorse grill guy cooks on a george foreman grill.
We have had an extensive discussion about the Firehorse a few years ago, mainly over whether the place existed at all.

http://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/ph ... =25&t=3695

We have had only two actual reviews, both from Slowhiker in 2009 and 2010 where she reported a limited menu, nothing fancy, and prices were reasonable.

Maybe someone can give us an updated review. I am under the impression that the Firehorse is open all year round but corrections would be welcome

Thanks,
Lyman
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

This will probably be seen as blasphemy but I've never been overly impressed with the park cafe. I like the Pie at two sisters quite a bit more, and as far as food goes the park cafe is pretty mediocre (just one man's opinion, I'll probably get killed for it though lol). I think the food at two sisters is very good and their pie is fantastic, and the food at johnsons is probably my favorite in the area.

The snowgoose used to be great back and in the day, and hopefully now that GPI is in charge again it'll get back to being a good place. But last time I went there (which granted was several years ago) it was fairly underwhelming and very expensive.

I should probably branch out but I pretty much only eat at two sisters and johnsons when I'm up in St. Mary anymore and once in a while go to cattlemans. But two sisters and johnsons are just impossible to beat in that area.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

smahurin wrote:This will probably be seen as blasphemy but I've never been overly impressed with the park cafe.
Blasphemy? Hardly. The Park Cafe was, by far, the worst meal we had during last year's visit (despite my recommendation on the previous page and beating out the Cattle Baron for second-worst). It was practically inedible. Even the pie was second rate (and all second choices since they were out of everything we wanted). I probably won't go back this year.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

smahurin wrote:... the food at johnsons is probably my favorite in the area.
Mine, too. Johnson's is always my first choice when I'm over that way, by far.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

I like the Two Sisters, the food is good and the place is entertaining. Johnson's is also a great place for dinner as long as you are OK with college dorm type food. The Two Dog flats cafe is great for breakfast. When I worked at St Mary lodge I filleted the whitefish every morning and thought it was one of the best items on the menu. I don't think it is available anymore. Overall I have low expectations of park food and that way I am less likely to be disappointed. I hate paying high prices for supposedly gourmet food.
Last edited by Stmarypete on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Just a reminder that now that the 2013 season is upon us, we will be needing updated restaurant reviews and especially mention of any new restaurants or any that have closed.

Return to “Restaurant Reviews and Recomendations”