Favorite places to eat near St Mary?

Have you had a good, bad or indifferent experience at a restaurant in the Glacier area? Let us know about it right here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

TnTammy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Favorite places to eat near St Mary?

Post by TnTammy »

Johnson's was hands-down our favorite restaurant of last year. Since folks may be thinking of eating options for this year, it seemed like a few photos might get the taste buds goin'. :D

Kinda cute, their menu says not to ask what kind of soup it is, its "Just Good Soup". We agreed and ate up every piece of their homemade bread too! They sure don't skimp on butter. :shock:

Their Mile High Huckleberry Ice Cream Pie was unforgettable. :mrgreen:

2nd Favorite: Two Sisters Twofer, Huck Pie with Huck Ice Cream. :arrow:
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by Stmarypete »

I had forgotten about the fantastic Johnson's ice cream pie! It took me, my wife and two kids to eat one.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

I think it's a fairly safe bet that visitors to Glacier take more photos of delicious pie than visitors to any other National Park. Yet ANOTHER reason why Glacier is the greatest of the parks!

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

TnTammy wrote:Johnson's was hands-down our favorite restaurant of last year. Since folks may be thinking of eating options for this year, it seemed like a few photos might get the taste buds goin'. :D
Kinda cute, their menu says not to ask what kind of soup it is, its "Just Good Soup". We agreed and ate up every piece of their homemade bread too! They sure don't skimp on butter. :shock:
Their Mile High Huckleberry Ice Cream Pie was unforgettable. :mrgreen:
2nd Favorite: Two Sisters Twofer, Huck Pie with Huck Ice Cream. :arrow:
Tellem "lil huck" 8)

pocketlint :wink:
TnTammy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by TnTammy »

petedoc@cableone.net wrote:I had forgotten about the fantastic Johnson's ice cream pie! It took me, my wife and two kids to eat one.
Twas Mighty Fine and we had no problems polishing it off between the two of us. :P

pitamakan wrote:I think it's a fairly safe bet that visitors to Glacier take more photos of delicious pie than visitors to any other National Park. Yet ANOTHER reason why Glacier is the greatest of the parks!

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Never "got" pie until I started following Chat and so many people loved Glacier's Pies that I had to find out if it was really up to all the fuss. Now I'm hooked!!! Agree Pitamakin 110%! I also never ever took pictures of my food until reading Chat's trip reports. Chatters are masters at showing off Glacier's finest morsels. Now I can't rest until I get to try some of the Polebridge Merc's pastries :!:

A very respectable third favorite from Park Café. What is a Razzleberry??
Pocketlint wrote:
Tellem "lil huck" 8)

Last but not least, a classic Glacier Park Pie smile (Our friend Pocket at Two Sisters with a caramel special) :wink:
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Pie photos are the Glacier Chat equivalent to cat videos except that the pie photos are better and definitely more nourishing in a vicarious sort of way.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I ate breakfast at the Park Cafe this morning, Sunday, June9.
Nice and quiet this time of year.
There was nobody at the counter the whole time I was there.
So maximum time to flirt with my cute server who took my picture 8)
Only 3 tables were occupied.

Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

Just got home from a week in the St Mary area. I am a former SML employee and have some perspective on the local cuisine and our group of 11 ate at several locations. Johnson's was great for breakfast and hasn't changed in 40 years. The Park cafe is good for lunch and pie, but the number of people in line is daunting. Kipp's hasn't change a bit, except Kipp is no longer behind the bar with his trusty 2X4. Two Sisters was good and different. St Mary Lodge is the biggest improvement. Since GPI is now the new owner many very good changes have occured. The owner for the last three years had let the place go.......... It is now clean, the employees were very helpful and friendly and the food in the dinning room is the best ever. Also you can get a huge double scoop ice cream cone in the snack shop for 3.00$, far better than Eddies in Apgar and more flavors. Stopped at the Duck lake lodge and the place has potential, but it was smoky. The remodel of the dining room at Many Glacier lodge is just plain spectacular. We didn't eat there, but the setting is amazing. I would be happy to have a PBJ there. Sperry Chalet was good and filling. The rooms on the lower level are a lot colder than upstairs and noisier.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I ate at Johnson's this afternoon. 1/3 lb buffalo burger cooked perfectly. Bun was home msde texss toast type bread--lightly grilled. Soup today was a delicious home made chicken with rice. Really good.
Breakfast not until 0800. 0700 after Sun Road opens.

So cold sandwich breakfast for me in the AM. I want start Iceberg Lake before then.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

just got back from a week on the eastside. only time we ate out was two sisters. the chicken fried steak was a big disappointment. used to be the real deal, now just a quick fried frozen thing. the menu at the st mary lodge looked good, reasonably priced. park café was empty every time I went by.

kipp died 6-7 years ago. challenging personality...

Return to “Restaurant Reviews and Recomendations”