Nell’s

Have you had a good, bad or indifferent experience at a restaurant in the Glacier area? Let us know about it right here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Nell’s

Post by teapot57 »

Xanterra has, in my opinion, ruined Nell’s, the restaurant at the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn. It is now set up like a Starbucks. You stand in line at the entrance counter where you place your order, pay, and receive a number to place on your table so they know where to bring your food. Drinks are self serve, unless you order a draft beer which they pour for you. The line seems to be constant as there is only one cash register. And the menu is limited.

PeteE
Gender?: Male

Re: Nell’s

Post by PeteE »

Yeah, I agree with Teapot about Nell's.
The change is quite obviously related to reducing labor costs.

I got in there about 0645 on July 20th and there only two employees--a guy who was taking orders and money, and one gal who was bringing the orders out from the kitchen.
The guy appeared to be helping out with various other tasks related to the service bar like making coffee, etc.
Don't know if they had more "servers" to put on later in the morning in case it got busy.
There were about 6-7 tables occupied when I left just after 0700.
Everything is self serve too. Get your own water and coffee.
I hope the servers don't expect big tips because they don't do anything except deliver your meal from the kitchen-period.

pete :wink:

This is a bacon and cheddar "scramble"($8.95). The egg scramble was actually "ok". The toast was cold and dry. The potatoes were same as always--dry and tasteless.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

and then when you get up there to order, they ask you a bunch of questions regarding customizing your order as far as what type of bread and that sort of thing.
Do NOT order the pizza or the side salad unless you like all iceberg lettuce with a very small smattering of vegetables. The pizza didn't even taste as good as one you can get in a grocery story and bake yourself.

The other thing is when we were up there for breakfast, there was a little mouse running around that a couple customers help guide it out the door. We are sure he just went in the back door again :lol: .

It was just so perfect last year. Great menu and service and ambiance. Now, you only go there if you have to. Fortunately the line was too long our first nite so we opted to go over to Many Glacier and ended up eating at the Swiss Lounge where I had a yummy Huckleberry cocktail and the food was pretty good too including the Trout dip (plenty of it too).
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Yep, the pizza was about a 2 out of 10 at the restaurant. But as a trail lunch in the backcountry, it tasted pretty darn good. :D
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

Very sad!!! Why can't the concessionaires run reasonable operations with the goal to provide good service to the visitors to the park, rather that having to try and maximize profits for everything?
Can you imagine what things would be like if all Park management was privatized?
indiana hiker

Post by indiana hiker »

I figured they might have went to this format because they couldn't find enough workers. When we were there they had two workers, one at the cash register and the one delivering the food. A lot of the tables had the numbers from patrons that had already left so no one knew which tables were open.
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

Sad to hear this. The service had been improving since I first started visiting, and I always thought the food was fine.

We switched our nights over to Many Glacier Hotel last month (I like the idea of saving some money on a cabin, but R has gotten used to the luxury of the balcony and indulge him by stalking the Xanterra website). I told him it looked like we could just leave the car parked in the hotel lot for 3 days, since our planned hikes start there and it wasn’t worth eating a ‘Nell’s anymore. We’ll probably drive over to check out Fishercap at least once, though. I’m too lazy to walk it :D

I wonder if they’re technically able to server more people this way, especially with to-go orders? I always ate there at non-peak times, 6:30 am and 4:30 pm, but it would be packed until late in the evening. Several of the NP’s I’ve visited recently have these fast-casual setups. I tend to like the sit-down, slower pace in Glacier, but I assume it’s hard to keep up with the demand.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

indiana hiker wrote:I figured they might have went to this format because they couldn't find enough workers. When we were there they had two workers, one at the cash register and the one delivering the food. A lot of the tables had the numbers from patrons that had already left so no one knew which tables were open.
I don't think it was because they couldn't find enough workers.
Many of the kids I talked to that worked there over the years liked working there. There were some who came back year after year.
The guy working there last week was one such person.

This new venue is pure and simple-- "a cost cutting deal"--and I bet it backfires on them.
There are a lot of folks who've been coming here for years just like many of you here on the chat.
I suspect the park service will hear from them. I know I'm going to give Teagen at Park Headquarters an earful when I get a chance.
This operation is an insult.

George Carlin
mattB

Post by mattB »

indiana hiker wrote:I figured they might have went to this format because they couldn't find enough workers. When we were there they had two workers, one at the cash register and the one delivering the food. A lot of the tables had the numbers from patrons that had already left so no one knew which tables were open.
I think they're trying to maximize profits by cutting wages as much as they can.. If they paid better I'm sure they wouldn't have any trouble finding summer employees at Many Glacier.

The Park is having a similar situation at Goat Haunt, they aren't allowing anyone to depart the Waterton boat at Goat Haunt because they can't can't find a Water system maintenance technician to maintain the system. I am pretty sure if the NPS had decent funding and the position paid half way decent it wouldn't be a problem to find someone to take a seasonal job maintaining the Goat Haunt water system... Plus if the NPS had reasonable funding the road in to Many Glacier wouldn't be so horrendous..
mattB

Post by mattB »

I just returned from a trip through Utah, we spent a half day in Zion and a half day in Bryce Canyon....
Xanterra is the concessionaire for Zion and Forever Resorts was the concessionaire for Bryce Canyon..

In Zion, prices were high and it seemed like a fast food place....
In Bryce things were more reasonably priced and the atmosphere was much better, much calmer and relaxing!!

Just saying.....

Just say NO.... to Xanterra...
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Late to the party, but it was pretty bad some years back when GPI was still running it. Xanterra's not perfect, they definitely have some hickups from year to year, but overall I think they've done the best of the vendors in the parks. Yellowstone and Grand Canyon in particular.
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

I miss Heidi's at Many Glacier. However, if you get downstairs REALLY early, you can get coffee. And I've learned travel with instant oatmeal, boiled eggs, cheese, granola bars, and dried meats to get going in the a.m. Self checkout (and check-in) is everywhere now.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Nell's has gone the way of many places these days--tasteless instant type food served by a "robotic" wait staff.
However,Two Dog Flats at Rising Sun was still serving a pretty decent breakfast last year.
I just wish they'd do something different about those dry tasteless potatoes. 8)

George Carlin
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

My suggestion for the potatoes: https://texaspete.com/shop/original-hot-sauce/

Made right here in WInston-Salem, NC
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

brindledog wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:30 am My suggestion for the potatoes: https://texaspete.com/shop/original-hot-sauce/

Made right here in WInston-Salem, NC
Well Well, Do Tell 8)
I wondered "why" that particular hot sauce, and know I know.
I do like Texas Pete, but not so much on hash browns unless they are lousy like Two Dog Flats offering.
My hash browns are, even I do say so, superb without anything added when served from the pan. :arrow:
Well maybe some fresh ground black pepper. 8)

I put TexasPete on scrambled eggs made by anyone except me since I'm quite picky about my scrambled eggs.
Or, if forced for some reason to eat any version of a friend egg(like back in US NAVY times)
Then TexasPete becomes an absolute necessity to get them down.

Hash Browns my way :)
Use the little golden new potatoes which are sold under various names.
Dice them into roughly 1/2 inch pieces--no need for a ruler though 8)
Sauté with chopped shallots in butter(ghee works too) until nicely browned.
I'm a garlic fan so I add finely chopped garlic about 10 minutes or so before they potatoes are browned.
Take care not to burn the shallots or the garlic! Burning either results in a really nasty taste.
If in a hurry nuke the diced potatoes. This reducing time in the pan and helps to keep shallots and garlic from burning...
Onions of your choice can be substituted for the shallots, if you're too cheap to buy shallots. 8)

George Carlin

Return to “Restaurant Reviews and Recomendations”