Tents, tents, and more tents....

Have a favorite? Have one that you hated? Let everybody know about it here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

The.Trout.Whisperer
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Tents, tents, and more tents....

Post by The.Trout.Whisperer »

What is your goto tent...when I fist starting backpacking it was a "light" Sierra Desiggns meteor light wt. 6 1/2 lbs...whew. I still have it 19 yrs later and in good spape too.

I use a tarp for March in New Mexico and Nov-feb in Texas...no bugs but in the Rockies in Summer the skeeters require an enclosed shelter.

For 2 persons I go with a Shires Tarptent Squall. It weighs a whopping 2 lbs....
I am considering a new 18 oz tent from tarptents called the sublite...I may have it for my Glacier trip this summer!

What about all of you out there? What is your shelter of choice?

John
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Tents, tents, and more tents....

Post by Ear Mountain »

Generally as long as the tent will keep the bugs off and keep me and my gear dry I am happy. I use a small 2 person tent when solo camping.

When mountaineering in more extreme conditions I use a North Face Expedition. It's bomb proof in the wind and has plenty of room for all the gear and two people.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
peleebird

Post by peleebird »

Hi,
We bought a Eureka Mountain Pass (2 person) while we were looking for a new car camping tent or maybe a trailer -decided to go backpacking instead.......... Two doors and two vestibules so no waiting, regrettably only one see thru window but we don't fight over it much. In hot weather, which we have not encountered yet at night, an all-mesh tent might be nice, but I like the extra insulation of the fabric walls for Glacier nights, it does make a difference. I doubt you will ever see me under a tarp, unless its for cooking. Tarp-trekkers feel free to smile at me while you whizz by under your lighter load -to each their own preference! 8)
tjholyoke

Post by tjholyoke »

We love our North Face Roadrunners. We have a two-person and a three-person version. Love the space in the vestibules and the ventilation. Also been through heavy rain with no issues. Easy to set-up.
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

A spolied backpackers, we opt for the Mountain Hardwear Haven 3 - lots of room, two doors, good ventilation and under 6 pounds. For mountaineering or fall or winter trips, I go with the SD Sphere Expedition, a bomber tent with lots of room.

Heff
peleebird

Post by peleebird »

Hey that's funny, the number of two people in three people tents. I was thinking that would be nice too. More ventilation for the hot flashes, and me and the hubby are not getting any smaller.
Note that the new three people tents weigh the same as old school two people tents or historic canvas tarps.
Maybe some day you'll see me pulling a pop up titanium trailer tethered to my backpack. :lol:

Return to “Tents”