Eagle Video March 28 2016 Near Somers MT35

Been to another area? Post your photos here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Eagle Video March 28 2016 Near Somers MT35

Post by PeteE »

I had some time to kill while working in Kalispell today. So I rode down to Somers turning East on MT 35. This whole area was once a large flood plain after the last Ice Age.
Now it is a vast complex of farm fields mixed with small woodlots, sloughs and seasonal wetlands. It's ideal habitat for many birds and animals alike.
I just happened to spot these eagles as I rode along North Somers Rd. Too bad they were a couple hundred yards away. I still got some video that bird watchers might enjoy.
I love watching these birds "doing their thing" undisturbed my humans(me in this instance) 8) I was too far away although I'm certain they "noted my presence".

I made a few mistakes narrating this video as I was making it. There was no "mating" activity in the tree. That was an "immature" eagle below the obvious adult eagle. I simply couldn't see clearly in the cameras viewfinder. Cold and wind blowing made my eyes water, etc. I was focused on trying to keep the mono pod steady since I was zoomed to the max(16x) with my lil Sony Point and Shoot H10 camera.

After watching on a "big screen" it was obvious that the mature eagle was eating on a piece of the carcass in the field. And my guess is that these immature eagles were offspring from last year, or maybe before. I'm assuming(speculation on my part)that they were engaged in some sort of "begging" activity, wanting to be fed my Mom and Dad. That's the way it appeared when I reviewed the video on a big screen.

I would think if the immature eagles were not related to the adults, the adults would have not tolerated them being around. And the adults will probably not stand for their last year's young hanging around once they hatch this years chicks, if they have a successful nest.
Bald Eagles are not known to "share" food very well :)

It was very cool seeing and hearing the eagles, ravens, and the turkeys while standing in one spot.
Great habitat for these birds. Flathead lake just minutes flight time, and the Flathead River not much farther.
Ospreys and bald eagles both nest in this area near Flathead Lake.
I need to get back there soon!!

Pete :wink:

Runs 10:30 minutes. I could watch this sort of wildlife activity ALL day.

Here is a picture I took when I first arrived. Twas hurried and hand held but you can see two of the 3 immature eagles with the adult.
The adults are surely the parents of these immature birds--in my non expert opinion. Many Bald Eagles in the Flathead are year round residents. So the young from last spring almost certainly have been hanging around their parents all winter. I would believe this to be "natural". The young birds hang around begging from their parents while learning to hunt. And I suspect these young birds will be driven off to find their own territory. The "resident" eagles currently occupying this area will NOT tolerate them, especially after their chicks hatch. Competition for food is always fierce for the predators like the eagles, ospreys, certain hawks and owls, along with mammals like foxes and coyotes. Everyone has young to feed in the Spring...and they're all hunting in the same habitat---same prey for many, e.g. small mammals and fish for the eagles and ospreys...in the never ending drama of life in the Flathead.
I love this stuff. :D

pete

These have to be sibling offspring of that mature bird--imo. I just can't believe they would be let near that carcass if not. I just remembered typing this that I believe you'll see the adults fly in at one of the young birds in the video at about 1:30. The young bird moves away from the carcass.

"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “Non-Glacier Photos”