Backyard Visitor

Been to another area? Post your photos here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ND
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Backyard Visitor

Post by ND »

This is pretty rare.. As a matter of fact this is the first time I have seen a Red-tailed Hawk in my yard. This was in July the day before I left for Glacier.

Last edited by ND on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sam
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Backyard Visitor

Post by sam »

great clear photo!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

ND,

That is a great photo. Just a couple days ago, you referred to yourself as a "rookie." We have seen your early morning photos of St. Mary Lake and of Two Dog Flats and we know better.

Lyman
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Post by Kathy »

WOW!!!! Again, a fabulous photo, ND!!!

As Lyman said....we've known for a while you are no rookie, so..........what else ya got??? :mrgreen: (Thank you for sharing your incredible shots with us!!!)
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
Todd
Donator
Donator

Post by Todd »

To repeat everyone, great photo!

Question ND. Rare because it was in your backyard, or rare in North Dakota?
poky5mom
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by poky5mom »

Very nice! We almost got nailed by a hawk on the motorcycle yesterday! He must not have heard us and all of a sudden he flew in front of the bike & his wing hit Kent on the leg!
Kim
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

Beautiful pic ND. What are you shooting with?
ND

Post by ND »

Lyman & Kathy- Thanks! It is true I have been fiddling with a camera for a few years. When I say "rookie" I mean I still make plenty of rookie mistakes. Like sometimes not properly checking the camera settings for the situation or getting in too much of a hurry and completely screwing up a chance for a nice photo. However, I keep trying and they say that's the only way to get better. It doesn't eliminate being a doofus at times though :lol: Check the image below. Whose shadow is that anyway? :shock:

Todd- Having a hawk in my backyard is rare. North Dakota is loaded with these birds.

Poky5mom- that sounds a little scary. It reminds me of the movie "Wild Hogs". What a hoot!! :lol:

Chewy- I use a Canon Rebel XT. The bird pic was taken with a inexpensive 75-300 Canon Zoom lens. I recently purchased a monopod which I used for the hawk photo. It really helps for sharper images and is much quicker to use than attempting to set up a tripod when one doesn't feel there may be a lot of time to capture the image.
Rose
Donator
Donator

Post by Rose »

ND wrote:Lyman & Kathy- Thanks! It is true I have been fiddling with a camera for a few years. When I say "rookie" I mean I still make plenty of rookie mistakes. Like sometimes not properly checking the camera settings for the situation or getting in too much of a hurry and completely screwing up a chance for a nice photo. However, I keep trying and they say that's the only way to get better. It doesn't eliminate being a doofus at times though :lol: Check the image below. Whose shadow is that anyway? :shock:

ND.... you weren't being a doofus.... you were just trying to decide whether you liked the flowers better in the full shade or partial shade :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Dreams Often Become Realities~

Return to “Non-Glacier Photos”