Hiking in Smoky Conditions

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

TNsoccer07
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Hiking in Smoky Conditions

Post by TNsoccer07 »

Good morning,

I just made a more thorough, separate post on my "Thoughts on Upcoming Hiking Trip (Sept. 8-15)"

My return to Glacier (much anticipated) comes in roughly 2 1/2 weeks (September 8-15). *I am very aware of and staying up-to-date on conditions relative to Howe Ridge and western fire conditions in general. We are confident in choosing excitement for our trip while being realistic that the brilliant blue skies and endless views previously experienced are highly improbable*

I am hoping to see if anyone can provide information/recommendations concerning the following:

1. Since it is very likely that smoky conditions may be constant during our upcoming trip, can anyone provide good recommendations about hiking in smoky conditions?

I'm assuming it is recommended to take even more water than usual and to take more frequent breaks as well. Also, maybe choosing shorter hikes than otherwise planned? Are there any recommended breathing protection items? I am recommending my mom talk with her allergist/doctor about the upcoming trip, and I know that things may be very dependent on one's conditions, but I am curious about any general guidance on this topic.

2. Does anyone know of detailed posts made and/or photos taken ON HIKES in the last ~1 week in Glacier during the "worst" of the Howe Ridge fire?

I have been paying attention a lot to the park webcams, but I am finding photos taken by folks while hiking or "trip reports" from hikers to be scarce. I'm not sure if this is because those folks are still out enjoying their trip and haven't posted anything or whether people are just not hiking much or taking that many photographs. For instance, I still see a decent number of cars parked at Logan Pass and other eastern areas of the park - any photos or reports on visibility from Hidden Lake Overlook, Grinnell Glacier, Iceberg Lake, or other popular eastern hikes? I am also aware some of these may be closed or have been closed due to bear frequenting as well.

Thank you!
Sean
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Hiking in Smoky Conditions

Post by teapot57 »

I was in the Park this past weekend. I’m not gonna sugar coat it- we had the smokiest conditions I’ve ever experienced. Driving down from Calgary, it was like the mountains weren’t even there. For the first time, Chief Mountain did not greet me as I crossed the border. Kinda eerie. Visibility was even worse driving home on Sunday.

We decided to drive to Logan Pass on Friday to see what the conditions were like up high. We easily found a parking space at Logan Pass when we arrived at 10:30 am. We hiked down to Hidden Lake and it was a nice hike, but the smoke was just pouring up the valley from the west side. We decided that hiking up a pass or anything with a lot of elevation gain was not worth the effort, and that inhaling that smokey air deep into our lungs while exerting ourselves would not be healthy, so on Saturday we decided to hit up the waterfalls in the Two Med area.

If it’s really smokey and visibility is limited, I would suggest hiking down low or to a "closed in" spot instead of trying for hikes with wide, expansive views. Medicine Grizzly Lake, St Mary waterfalls, Iceberg Lake, Cracker Lake, Two Medicine south shore to Rockwell Falls or Cobalt Lake . . . something along those lines.

My friends enjoyed the hikes despite the conditions. I didn’t have the heart to tell them how they were missing out with the poor visibility.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

From Hidden Lake Trail on Friday, Aug 17:

Two Medicine Lake on Saturday, August 18:

PeteE
Gender?: Male

Post by PeteE »

TNsoccer07 wrote:Good morning,

I just made a more thorough, separate post on my "Thoughts on Upcoming Hiking Trip (Sept. 8-15)"

My return to Glacier (much anticipated) comes in roughly 2 1/2 weeks (September 8-15). *I am very aware of and staying up-to-date on conditions relative to Howe Ridge and western fire conditions in general. We are confident in choosing excitement for our trip while being realistic that the brilliant blue skies and endless views previously experienced are highly improbable*

Hard to know what conditions will be like. I have 3 nights at Granite park Chalet Sept. 8-10.
So I have many of the same concerns you do.

I am hoping to see if anyone can provide information/recommendations concerning the following:

1. Since it is very likely that smoky conditions may be constant during our upcoming trip, can anyone provide good recommendations about hiking in smoky conditions?

I've been hiking in it and the smoke while annoying, hasn't otherwise bothered me. I'm 70 but in reasonable shape.I snort and sniff and my nose "runs" on a crystal clear day. So I'm a bad example. I have no allergies.

I'm assuming it is recommended to take even more water than usual and to take more frequent breaks as well. Also, maybe choosing shorter hikes than otherwise planned? Are there any recommended breathing protection items? I am recommending my mom talk with her allergist/doctor about the upcoming trip, and I know that things may be very dependent on one's conditions, but I am curious about any general guidance on this topic.

Those with respiratory issues should check with their doctor about precautions.
Keep in mind that people who live and work here while not "hiking" they still are exposed to high levels of smoke 24/7.
Your Mom should be fine if she takes her doc's advice and whatever precautions he recommends.
The West side is CLOSED for all practical purposes.
It has been very dry, so do take care about water. Many water sources dry up by early September.
Ask the rangers about water and/or carry extra.

2. Does anyone know of detailed posts made and/or photos taken ON HIKES in the last ~1 week in Glacier during the "worst" of the Howe Ridge fire?

I have been paying attention a lot to the park webcams, but I am finding photos taken by folks while hiking or "trip reports" from hikers to be scarce. I'm not sure if this is because those folks are still out enjoying their trip and haven't posted anything or whether people are just not hiking much or taking that many photographs. For instance, I still see a decent number of cars parked at Logan Pass and other eastern areas of the park - any photos or reports on visibility from Hidden Lake Overlook, Grinnell Glacier, Iceberg Lake, or other popular eastern hikes? I am also aware some of these may be closed or have been closed due to bear frequenting as well.

Current pics would be nice but the smoke conditions can change somewhat from day to day depending on the wind. In general the East side has been better. There's smoke everywhere out here though. Just a matter of degree. I've been to Helena and Missoula both within the last week.
The smoke is EVERYWHERE...just a matter of how bad

Thank you!
Sean

This is from the summit of Piegan last Tuesday, Aug 14. There was smoke in every direction. Least bad to the NE that day.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “Hiking”