Status of Ahern Drift?

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

jc83290
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Status of Ahern Drift?

Post by jc83290 »

Has anyone seen the Ahern Drift in the past week or so? I’m scheduled to do the Northern Highline trail on 8/4 and am not sure what to expect. I see it required crampons and ice axe on 7/18 according to the status page but the expected clearing date is 8/1. I’m trying to figure out what I might be dealing with and how difficult it would be to bypass, so any help would be appreciated.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: Status of Ahern Drift?

Post by Ear Mountain »

Here's the link to the Trail Status page for that area: https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/ ... s.cfm?t=MD

The information below is presently on the trail status for the highland trail (Aug 8, 2018). It appears that the trail between Granite Park and Fifty Mountain is open. A tread was cut across the Ahern Drift on July 27, 2018. Lots more melting would have occurred since then. Same goes for the Cattle Queen drift.
Highline Trail
Logan Pass - Granite Park Chalet/ 7.6 mi.
Initial clearing scheduled: 7/4/18 per 250
Rimrock handline projected installation:INSTALLED 6/29/18

Trail clear and in good condition, save for few remaining snow fields close to Haystack Butte. 7/18/18 224 Swilliams

Highline Trail - Grinnell Glacier Overlook/ 0.8 mi.
Initial Clearing scheduled: Complete 7/23/18 per 250
Granite Park Chalet - Fifty Mtn. Campground/ 11.9 mi.
Initial Clearing scheduled: 8/1/2018 per 250
Trail CLOSED from Granite Park CG to FIF spur due to hazardous conditions at patrol cabin. Access Granite CG via the Loop trail. 7/27/18 524 Guillard

Trail clear of downed trees. A 2' wide path has been cut into the Ahern Drift (approximately 2 miles north of Granite Park). Cattle Queen drift is currently hazardous for undercut snow bridging. CAUTION ADVISED. per 524 Guillard 7/27/18
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Status of Ahern Drift?

Post by Sue Z »

I hiked from Granite Park to Ahern pass on Aug 1. Ahern Drift has a clear, wide path through it. No need for special equipment. Poles helped with general slipperiness of snow, but not necessary. The cold drift was a blessing in the heat. Take plenty of water.
Sue Z

Return to “Hiking”