Summiting Piegan September 6th, 2014

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Summiting Piegan September 6th, 2014

Post by PeteE »

Here's a video of my hike to the summit of Piegan back on September 6th.
Here's the links:

Flickr for some snaps
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98975350@ ... 158661760/

The day was absolutely perfect for hiking. No way was I staying home :)
I did this one in 2012, but there was smoke/haze in the air which made the views less than awesome.
Not so today!
This time I was going to try going a little different way from the the Piegan-Pollock saddle to avoid so much walking in the scree.
I would try and stay as high as possible traversing around to the SW but without getting into the ledges.
I did that part but somehow wound up going farther than I needed.
I came up down near the middle of the top of the circ. LOL!
Nice though because it gives you a different look at the glacier and over towards Matapahi and Preston Park.
And the walk to the summit along the circ edge was actually pretty nice.
In the video you'll see a guy lying on the rock napping. His name was Ryan, down from Calgary.
Nice young fellow and we spent about 90 minutes on the summit chatting and enjoying the incredible view on this bluebird day.
It's hard to make yourself start down on a day like this.
Next year, I'll go on up through the ledges on a lot more direct route. Ryan came that way and said it was easy and he thought I could do it.
Ryan did it more like Passmore indicates in his book.
I stayed away from a route through the ledges purposely since I assumed I could not get up that way.
Doing a hike like this different ways is also fun. No way to get lost up there. Worst case you lose a little time.
The hike is roughly 6 miles round trip with about 6600 total elv change(+-3300ft)

Yes, the video is long at 26 minutes. That's part of my style. I want long scenes and I like narrating them live as best I can.
That sometimes results in errors like calling Cataract "Matapahi" at one point. Most can be fixed editing.

The purpose is I want folks, who haven't been to Glacier Park, or not done these hikes, to get a nice, long look at what they will "experience".
In a perfect video, the video would not need any of my yammering---the scene would tell its own story.
It not being a perfect world, I feel I have to narrate. And my "style" won't suit everyone, but it "is what it is" as the wag says.
I would also like to show that these hikes can be down by my fellow old folks. You see me out here doing it.
A lot of you boomers need to get out more. You'll feel, and you will be, more healthy.

And so yup, this puts me at the polar opposite end of the popular style I see on youtube today.
Short, choppy scenes some just a couple seconds long it seems. Lots of camera movement and weird angles.
Most have music of some sort in addition to, or in place of any verbal narration.
Not my cup o tea but, as some know, I'm a "libertarian".
People should make the video that they want, and that makes them happy, right?
Sorta like "hiking your own hike", ain't it :)

Here's the video link again:

Here is a link to Flickr for some snaps
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98975350@ ... 158661760/

cheerios

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
J.Peter
Donator
Donator

Re: Summiting Piegan September 6th, 2014

Post by J.Peter »

Pete,
Thanks for posting the You Tube.
I am doing it in 2015!
ND

Re: Summiting Piegan September 6th, 2014

Post by ND »

Nice video, Pete! What a view! Hopefully I can get up there next summer.

Return to “Hiking”