Medicine Grizzly Lake questions

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

calicotraveler
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Medicine Grizzly Lake questions

Post by calicotraveler »

Although we've been to Glacier many times, we've never hiked to Medicine Grizzly Lake. Could some of you chatters that have done this hike tell me what it is like? I understand it's in the Cut Bank area (for some reason we've never even been there) and we'd like to do a hike in this area to see what it is like. Anyone have any photos of the hike? Does this hike have many grizz? Are many people usually on this trail? Any info would be appreciated.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: Medicine Grizzly Lake questions

Post by isleroyaleguy »

We have been to Med Grizz a couple of times. We had been staying at Atlantic Cr.CG along the Triple Divide trail. So I can't comment about the hike in from Cut Bank. But from ATL it's a nice trail in. you pass thru some patches of forest and into open meadows. Great views of Triple Divide peak on right and Med Grizz peak on left. There is a hanging valley on left with a small lake and a waterfall coming from it. Once your at the lake you can take the trail around the right side to right below another waterfall. Beautiful spot. Good fishing there too. I read there used to be a CG there but they had to relocate it because of bears. We didn't see any when we were there but lots of sign. Nice moosey area too.
Have fun
IRG
pitamakan
Gender?: Male

Post by pitamakan »

It's definitely a nice hike ... and I love how quiet the Cut Bank valley is, compared to the rest of the east side. You'll probably see very few people, and though the trail up the valley isn't unusually dramatic, the lake itself is lovely.

Another suggestion from Cut Bank (no better or worse, really) would be to hike from Cut Bank to Pitamakan Pass and back. More strenuous, but quite pretty once you gain elevation.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

Love Medicine Grizzly Lake hike...

I really like the Cut Bank area...no significant gain but lots of little ups and downs (I think that I had it as 12 miles and 1,100 feet of gain/loss round trip)...

After the junction with Triple Divide Pass you enter an amazing meadow for about a mile before you reach the lake...I think that the lake itself it VERY pretty, on par with Iceberg Lake (minus the icebergs)...I have done this hike twice...
Dusty in CT
Donator
Donator

Post by Dusty in CT »

And the flowers in the meadows were INCREDIBLE. And from what I hear this year's flowers are already fantastic putting this hike on our to-do list while in the park July 20-Aug 3. The fishing was excellent, my son accompanied us on this trip and everytime he threw in the line he came out with a fish. A little hike around to the top of the lake revealed a very fresh and very large pile of bear scat, the hugest I have ever seen but didn't actually see a bear and there were very few others around.
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

Thanks for your comments! Looking forward to this hike.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
limedes

Post by limedes »

I just did this hike 2 weeks ago for my first time...I really enjoyed it! the views during the hike aren't the most exciting until you reach the meadow and then the lake, but it is worth it in my opinion. Beautiful lake with nice waterfalls. We saw tons of scat on the trail - probably the most I have ever seen on a hike. We did not see any grizzlies but we saw two black bears. One was fairly close to the trail wandering in the bushes and the other was walking around on the other side of the lake - kind of fun to watch! The flowers were beautiful! Really nice area with less people. We didn't see anyone on our way up except trail crew.

Here's a few photos:

The beautiful meadow before the lake:

Medicine Grizzly Lake:

Some more waterfalls behind us:

Return to “Hiking”