Your Favorite Day Hike in Glacier

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

djbouqu
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Your Favorite Day Hike in Glacier

Post by djbouqu »

Here's another vote for Pitamakam Pass/Dawson Pass loop. I am an avid hiker and have hiked in 10 other national parks, and in the Alps and Pyranees. This hike is the most scenic and enjoyable day hike that I've been on. My experience was to perfect blue skies in early July. There was still some snow on the trail and the bear grass was in peak bloom. I encountered big horn sheep, mountain goats, and a black bear while on the hike. It just doesn't get much better than this in a day hike. I've posted a few photos at Panoramio and on Google Earth under djbouqu. If you haven't tried it, the 3D feature in Google Earth is particularly cool while viewing the GNP area.

The Swiftcurrent Pass and Gunsight Pass hikes are also amazing. I am a geologist and the geology on the Gunsight Pass hike is incredible. Glacier NP is a hiker's paradise and I plan to visit again soon.
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

djbouqu wrote:Here's another vote for Pitamakam Pass/Dawson Pass loop. I am an avid hiker and have hiked in 10 other national parks, and in the Alps and Pyranees. This hike is the most scenic and enjoyable day hike that I've been on. My experience was to perfect blue skies in early July. There was still some snow on the trail and the bear grass was in peak bloom. I encountered big horn sheep, mountain goats, and a black bear while on the hike. It just doesn't get much better than this in a day hike. I've posted a few photos at Panoramio and on Google Earth under djbouqu. If you haven't tried it, the 3D feature in Google Earth is particularly cool while viewing the GNP area.

The Swiftcurrent Pass and Gunsight Pass hikes are also amazing. I am a geologist and the geology on the Gunsight Pass hike is incredible. Glacier NP is a hiker's paradise and I plan to visit again soon.

Wow! I just downloaded Google 3D after reading your post. Such an improvement over the old version. I know what I'll be doing with any free time this evening. I love how you can keep the image in motion as if you were in a helicopter. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dusty in CT
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Dusty in CT »

Grinnell Glacier, we've had many memorable moments on this hike on previous trips. Last year hikerdoc and I got engaged on the Glacier, next year we are hoping for a wedding.......
Bruce
Donator
Donator

Post by Bruce »

Dusty in CT wrote:Grinnell Glacier, we've had many memorable moments on this hike on previous trips. Last year hikerdoc and I got engaged on the Glacier, next year we are hoping for a wedding.......
Great story and congratulations! :mrgreen:
Jen

Post by Jen »

Dusty in CT wrote:Image

Grinnell Glacier, we've had many memorable moments on this hike on previous trips. Last year hikerdoc and I got engaged on the Glacier, next year we are hoping for a wedding.......
WOOTWOOT! Congratulations!!!!
distressbark

Post by distressbark »

Tough one... I guess my favorite three maintained trail hikes would have to be:

* Siyeh Pass
* Lee Ridge to Gable Pass
* Pitamaken-Dawson

Favorite off-trail hikes with minimal climbing:

* Logan Pass to Lake McDonald via Floral Park
* Snow Moon Basin
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
ManyGlacierSean

Post by ManyGlacierSean »

Agreed distressbark, very tough to choose just a few from the plethora of great hikes.

On-Trail
1. Pitimakin-Dawson - for anyone not familiar with the park or this trail wanting to do it, DO NOT TAKE DAWSON PASS FIRST when leaving Two Medicine campground. Take Pitimakin Pass first, a very gradual elevation gain, as compared to the brutal uphill slog you will encounter going up to Dawson first.
2. Lee Ridge to Gable Pass
3. Piegan Pass (Highline would go here if there weren't so many tourists on it)

Off-Trail
1. Skyline Experience
2. Lee Ridge to Gable Pass to Chief Mountain
3. Lake Nitahki or Snow-Moon Basin
He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary - Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

I just saw this...congratulations!!!!

Return to “Hiking”