Need One More Possible Hike !!

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

davidwayne
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Need One More Possible Hike !!

Post by davidwayne »

One week away from our trip to GNP! Weather permitting, we have the following on our hopeful hiking list: Iceberg, Grinnell Glacier, Cracker Lake and either the Hockey Ref hike or the Loop, depending on how well we are holding up. All will be new for us except for Iceberg Lake. That leaves one more possible day of hiking. The following are on our short list - Upper Two Medicine Lake, Cobalt Lake and Otokomi Lake. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. We're staying on the east side of the park but wouldn't rule out doing some driving to get to a great hike. Thanks in advance!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Need One More Possible Hike !!

Post by llholmes1948 »

I think it would depend on how difficult or long of a hike you are looking for. From what I have seen on the Chat, Otokomi Lake does not tend to get great reviews except early in the season when the creeks have plenty of water. However I have not done that hike so I am only repeating what I have read.

Upper Two Medicine is classified as an easy hike, (and a rather short one if combined with the boat) but it would be a nice hike if you are looking for an easy one.

Cobalt Lake is a moderate hike with about a 1400 foot elevation gain. It is a nice hike and you may encounter a lot of wildflowers along the trail above Rockwell Falls. I think that is the one I would choose. Scenic Point would be another great option.

Many people recommend continuing on beyond Cobalt Lake to Two Medicine Pass/Chief Lodgepole Peak which has great views but my group ran out of energy so we only went as far as the Lake.

Lyman
Dusty in CT
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Dusty in CT »

Hiked Medicine Grizzly last year. We were staying in East Glacier. The wildflowers were absolutely awesome. It felt like something out of Alice In Wonderland!!! Also saw a large moose and very few people. Hiker Doc and I will be in the park July 11-25 and hope to do this hike again and possibly Triple Divide. I know it will be a long day but I can't wait.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Just so you're clear, the Loop trail is sort of an extension of the Highline (Hockey Ref) hike that descends quite steeply from Granite Park Chalet to the Loop turn on the GTTS Road. I wouldn't classify this as a separate hike, unless you want to start at the Loop on the road and make the strenuous climb to the chalet.

As for your other options, I would choose Cobalt Lake, or as Lyman suggested, perhaps Scenic Point. Scenic Point has some very nice views that are more sweeping than Cobalt. It's also shorter, but steeper, than Cobalt. You could probably do it in half a day.

If you're up for something more challenging, try the Dawson-Pitamakin loop hike in Two Med. It runs 19 miles (17 if you catch the boat) and gains close to 3,000 feet. But the views, especially from the stretch along the Continental Divide, are outstanding.

You could also give Piegan Pass or Siyeh Pass a try. Piegan Pass (at Siyeh Bend on the GTTS Road three miles east of the Logan Pass visitor center) – Moderate; 12.8-mile through hike to Many Glacier Hotel; climbs 1,670 feet; descends 2,640 feet. Links the GTTS Road with the Many Glacier region of the park. After leaving a fir and spruce forest, the trail offers tremendous views, especially along a traverse of Cataract Mountain, from the pass itself, and during the subsequent descent toward Many Glacier. The trail passes Morning Eagle Falls then re-enters the dense forest and connects to the Grinnell complex of trails before ending at Many Glacier Hotel.
Siyeh Pass (at Siyeh Bend on the GTTS Road three miles east of the Logan Pass visitor center) – Moderately strenuous; 10.3 mile through hike to an exit at Sunrift Gorge at mile 40 on the GTTS Road; climbs 2,240 feet; descends 3,440 feet. This hike shares the first 2.7 miles as the Piegan Pass trail before branching off and entering beautiful Preston Park, a meadow area populated by small tarns and abundant wildflowers. The climb up and over the pass offers excellent views of Mt. Siyeh, the St. Mary Valley, peaks along the Continental Divide, and Sexton Glacier. The final portion of the descent passes Sunrift Gorge and Baring Creek before exiting on the GTTS Road. (Note: Deep snow may persist along the trail’s upper elevations until late in the season; consult park rangers before attempting this route.)
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
davidwayne

Post by davidwayne »

HockeyRef, we plan to utilize the shuttle system to do the hike bearing your name, but if we feel like we are not up to it towards the end of our stay, we will park at Logan Pass and do 'Loop' hike. I am looking for a somewhat easier hike to do before we finish up with HockeyRef... Considering Ptarmigan Tunnel but the elevation change worries me some. Dont want to use up our energy .
grizzlyguy
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by grizzlyguy »

Hockey Ref wrote:
If you're up for something more challenging, try the Dawson-Pitamakin loop hike in Two Med. It runs 19 miles (17 if you catch the boat) and gains close to 3,000 feet. But the views, especially from the stretch along the Continental Divide, are outstanding.
)
If you decide to try the Dawson - Pitamakin loop it is now clear of snow. The trail crew has shoveled out the trail thru the Mt Morgan drift so no ice axe is necessary. Go have fun!

--Sam T
barbuck

Post by barbuck »

llholmes1948 wrote:Cobalt Lake is a moderate hike with about a 1400 foot elevation gain. It is a nice hike and you may encounter a lot of wildflowers along the trail above Rockwell Falls. I think that is the one I would choose. Scenic Point would be another great option.
Hockey Ref wrote:As for your other options, I would choose Cobalt Lake, or as Lyman suggested, perhaps Scenic Point. Scenic Point has some very nice views that are more sweeping than Cobalt. It's also shorter, but steeper, than Cobalt. You could probably do it in half a day.
Ditto (tritto?) what they said.
-Bruce

Return to “Hiking”