HockeyRef Hike

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jen

HockeyRef Hike

Post by Jen »

Why is there no description yet?

Trying!

Post by Guest »

I'm trying...but this thing won't let me!
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Hockey Ref Hike

Post by Hockey Ref »

Note: The Highline Trail/Swiftcurrent Pass hike has been dubbed the "Hockey Ref Hike" by Glacier chat page users who like my description of it. So here goes...

The Highline Trail/Swiftcurrent Pass hike is one of the most spectacular day hikes Glacier has to offer. Some consider it Glacier's "signature" hike, combining unsurpassed beauty, plenty of opportunities to encounter wildlife, and requiring only moderate physical effort.

There are several ways to enjoy this hike. To take advantage of its full 15-mile length (and don't let the distance dissuade you because it's not that difficult), take the morning hiker shuttle from the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn in the Many Glacier region to Logan Pass. You'll arrive at the visitor center around 9:30. The Highline trailhead is located across the road from the visitor center parking lot. Make sure to top off your water containers at the visitor center before heading out.

The day's first adventure begins with a series of narrow ledges along a cliff face known as the Rimrock area which soars a couple of hundred feet above the Going-to-the-Sun Road. But don't worry, it sounds scarier than it really is. And there's a cable to grab for the faint-of-heart.

Once past the ledges, the Highline heads northward along the Garden Wall and parallels the Continental Divide as it makes its way 7.5 miles to Granite Park Chalet. Spectacular vistas unfold every step of the way -- 500-foot high Birdwoman Falls cascades from a verdant hanging valley; snow-capped Heaven's Peak towers above the neighboring mountains; and McDonald Creek cascades through McDonald Valley on its way to Lake McDonald, the largest body of water in Glacier. In the earlier part of the season, waterfalls fed by melting snow tumble across the trail from above. Later, the meadows around the trail blaze with wildflowers. If you're making a one-way trip, be sure to turn around from time to time and check out the views behind you.

Chances are good that you'll encounter mountain goats and bighorn sheep along the way, along with marmots, ground squirrels, and other smaller mammals. You might even get lucky enough to spot a bear or two, so keep standard bear safety in mind. By the way, if you encounter goats or sheep walking on the trail, the rangers ask that you NOT step aside to let them pass. Instead, stay on the trail so that the animals will step off. The rangers prefer that the animals stay off the trail as much as possible, and humans giving them the right-of-way simply encourages them.

The hike to Granite Park Chalet is relatively flat, with only a few short uphill portions. For those with a limited amount of time, simply park at the Logan Pass visitor center and walk as far as time allows before turning around. A possible goal for those short on time is a saddle behind a rock formation known as Haystack Butte about 3.5 miles from the trailhead at Logan Pass. The butte is the large, flat-topped rock formation visible to the north from the trailhead.

About a mile before reaching the chalet a steep spur trail takes hikers to an overlook of Grinnell Glacier. The views from the saddle above the glacier are truly spectacular and well worth the effort. Keep in mind that you cannot leave backpacks at the foot of the overlook trail. To climb to the overlook without your pack you'll need to continue to the chalet, leave your pack there, and return.

Granite Park Chalet is a good place to stop for lunch (bring your own) as it is the halfway point for those going all the way to the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn. The view from the chalet is not to be missed, so make your lunch a leisurely one. And for those who have advance reservations, the chalet also is a great place to spend the night. Additonal info on the chalet is available at: http://www.graniteparkchalet.com/

Atop nearby Swiftcurrent Mountain, a peak just to the north and above the chalet, you'll spot a fire lookout. Those who make the steep ascent are rewarded with a 360-degree view of Glacier that they won't get anywhere else.

After lunch, there's a quick climb of several hundred feet to the summit of Swiftcurrent Pass. This is the most climbing you'll do all day (unless you check out the Grinnell overlook or the fire lookout), and it's not all that much. On the other side of the pass is one of the most spectacular views Glacier has to offer. All of Swiftcurrent Valley stetches out some 2,300 feet below you, with a chain of lakes leading your eye toward the Many Glacier Hotel in the distance and the start of the Great Plains even further beyond (bring binoculars).

You'll make your way down a series of switchbacks along the cliff face, passing silky ribbon waterfalls fed by melting snow, until you finally reach the valley floor. The trail works its way through low underbrush with Mt. Wilbur and Mt. Henkel on the left and Grinnell Peak rising on the right. Be sure to look for moose browsing in the brush and along the lake shores or mule deer grazing on the ridges. A nice final rest stop is Red Rock Falls at the head of Red Rock Lake, about 2.5 miles from the end of the hike. Sitting on the rocks above the falls provides a good overall view of the valley, the lake, and the surrounding mountains.

The hike ends in the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn parking lot. All in all, this is a 15-mile day, but the lack of any significant uphill makes it quite doable for anyone who's in reasonable shape and who is willing to make the effort. One of the keys to making this a successful hike is to carry adequate water supplies, especially on hot days.

As noted earlier, you can shorten the day by hiking only a portion of the Highline. Even hiking just a mile or two will give you an idea of the incredible beauty this trail has to offer.

Another alternative is to hike the Highline to Granite Park Chalet then descend to the GTTS Road via the Loop Trail. In the past this route has not been considered quite as scenic as others, but reports since the 2003 fires indicate that it has taken on a new-found beauty. Descending to the GTTS Road via the Loop Trail makes it easy to connect with the hiker shuttle and return to your vehicle at Logan Pass. Just keep the shuttle schedule in mind to avoid missing the last one of the day.

One other thing...the Highline Trail doesn't open until all the snow has melted from the Rimrock ledge areas and the hand cables have been installed. The Swiftcurrent Pass trail also is dependent on snow melting before it is opened. This is typically in late June, or even early July. So if you're planning a trip to Glacier and the Highline Trail is on your list, make sure it's during a time when the trail is sure to be open.

So that's the Highline Trail/Swiftcurrent Pass hike, aka the "Hockey Ref Hike." Hope you enjoyed it. I've hiked it three of the last four times I've been to Glacier, and I can't wait to do it again.

Hockey Ref
(updated January 2009)
Last edited by Hockey Ref on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
dorf
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Photos of this hike...

Post by dorf »

Well done hockeyref.

Here are some photos I took last August. The first 15 of these take you from the Visitor Center to the Chalet. But first, a few photos of the "ledges" above the sun Road:

http://www.dorfworld.net/backcountry/gn ... index.html

When we backpacked from Bowman Lake, we spent our last night at the Granite park campground and then hiked down to Swiftcurrent. Here are the photos from that day:

http://www.dorfworld.net/backcountry/gn ... index.html
So many mountains, so little time.
flatlander
Donator
Donator

Hockey Ref trail

Post by flatlander »

You have awakened my Glacier Addiction!! What a description -- you deserve to have the Trail named after you! And then Dorf (not a bad writer himself!) jumps in with his great photos!!

You two should get together and combine your prose and photos for another Glacier book! Good stuff -- keep it coming!!
Jen

More Highline Photos

Post by Jen »

I have never posted photos before so I hope this works. These were taken September 14, 2005. That is my hubby carrying our sweet baby girl. He was a little jittery.
Image[/img]
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Highline Photos

Post by Hockey Ref »

Some of my own photos from the Highline Trail and Swiftcurrent Pass can be seen at

http://photobucket.com/albums/v700/Hock ... al%20Park/
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Jen

Re: HockeyRef Hike

Post by Jen »

bump
poky5mom
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by poky5mom »

Thanks Jen!!
Mzambo
Donator
Donator

Post by Mzambo »

As the anticipation of our August trip continues to grow, and this trip will be our first time doing the HockeyRef Hike I am back once again reading Andy's description and thinking about him. There is no doubt that each and every one of us that hikes this trail will be talking about him and carrying him along with us in memory.
KyCindy

Post by KyCindy »

Mzambo wrote:As the anticipation of our August trip continues to grow, and this trip will be our first time doing the HockeyRef Hike I am back once again reading Andy's description and thinking about him. There is no doubt that each and every one of us that hikes this trail will be talking about him and carrying him along with us in memory.
I have the highline hike on our wishlist for our July 2017 trip. When I heard about the hockey ref hike I thought it was probably too advanced for us but Hockeyref's description almost inspires me to want to try it. This would be our longest day hike and one that requires some logistic challenges. I guess we could park at Logan Pass and if we end up going all the way to Swiftcurrent taking a shuttle back. Having car at Logans pass means we could do and out and back route if we are overwhelmed. Right? How late do shuttles run? Are the shuttles over crowded or require a long wait? We will be there in peak season. I've been impressed by others ingenuity with regard to knowing how far they can hike and how fast but I'm not confident of our stamina or pace yet in Glacier. I can easily walk a half-marathon on our flat course for the Kentucky Derby festival but it is harder to train for mountains here.Our Appalachian mountains are 90 minutes away. Maybe Hockeyref will be at the top of our second trip wishlist.
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

KyCindy wrote:
Mzambo wrote:As the anticipation of our August trip continues to grow, and this trip will be our first time doing the HockeyRef Hike I am back once again reading Andy's description and thinking about him. There is no doubt that each and every one of us that hikes this trail will be talking about him and carrying him along with us in memory.
I have the highline hike on our wishlist for our July 2017 trip. When I heard about the hockey ref hike I thought it was probably too advanced for us but Hockeyref's description almost inspires me to want to try it. This would be our longest day hike and one that requires some logistic challenges. I guess we could park at Logan Pass and if we end up going all the way to Swiftcurrent taking a shuttle back. Having car at Logans pass means we could do and out and back route if we are overwhelmed. Right? How late do shuttles run? Are the shuttles over crowded or require a long wait? We will be there in peak season. I've been impressed by others ingenuity with regard to knowing how far they can hike and how fast but I'm not confident of our stamina or pace yet in Glacier. I can easily walk a half-marathon on our flat course for the Kentucky Derby festival but it is harder to train for mountains here.Our Appalachian mountains are 90 minutes away. Maybe Hockeyref will be at the top of our second trip wishlist.
My understanding is that the paid hiker shuttle from Swiftcurrent/Many Glacier to St. Mary must be booked in advance, but you could call and ask if walk-ups are available. Since the hiker shuttle only runs at specified times, you'd have to make sure you were off the trail before 4:45. I've taken this shuttle in the morning, and while we did have a long wait for a bus to pick us up at St. Mary, it wasn't crowded. I'd think taking a shuttle from St. Mary to Logan Pass later in the afternoon wouldn't be crowded.

http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.co ... /shuttles/

I understand about not knowing how long a hike will take you. I've done the hike described here, only I broke it up with a stay at Granite Park chalet. After doing the two separate halves, I know I could do it pretty easily in a day, and most anyone who as had some experience hiking could do it, too.
orin

Post by orin »

I have the highline hike on our wishlist for our July 2017 trip. When I heard about the hockey ref hike I thought it was probably too advanced for us but Hockeyref's description almost inspires me to want to try it.
I think you should give it a shot. The route to Granite Park from Logan has a modest amount of elevation gain all things considered. If you are too tired by the time you get to Granite you can always bail down the shorter steeply down trail to the Loop and catch a shuttle back to Logan. If your logistics allow you could start monitoring the Chalet openings page, snatch up a cancelation and make it a two day hike. That has worked for me several times. Or if you are staying in Many Glacier that night you could defer the shuttle back to your car until the next morning if you don't make it for some reason. And if you discover boundless energy after you are on the trail you could add the sidetrips up to the Grinnell. Glacier overlook and/or the Swiftcurrent Lookout. Lots of options.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

If you are staying at Many Glacier/Swiftcurrent the night before the HockerRef hike, then my preference would be to get the early morning shuttle from Many Glacier. You may be getting to the Highline trailhead later than you might prefer but once you start you have all day to do the hike and you don't have to be concerned about getting back to Many by 4:45 p.m. to get the afternoon shuttle. Your hike will be more relaxed and you can leave the Chalet area at 5 or 6 pm. and hike down. And you may want to try one of the side trails such as the Grinnell glacier overlook or Swiftcurrent Lookout although they require a bit more time and stamina. At least that is how I would do it but I realize that wouldn't please the early morning fanatics :wink:

And of course as Orin recommended a night at the Chalet if you can get one is just marvelous. Our stay there in 2014 was as a result cancellations. First we got one night and then another opened up.

Lyman
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Subject: HockeyRef Hike
KyCindy wrote:
Hi Cindy:

I agree 100% with orin and Jessica(al_in_al)
The HockeyRef hike is a classic in GNP.

If you can do a 1/2 marathon, you can do this hike with a light fanny/day pack.
In the past, I've done it in two bites staying at the chalet like orin.
However, I know I can do the whole hike now even though I'm a geezer of 69 8)

I always recommend people get as much off street miles done with the shoes/boots they're going to wear out here.
Hiking on relatively flat, even surfaces like a street/road do not work your feet inside your boot like a rough mountain trail does.
I know that's not easy in Louisville 8)

That said, look for anyplace where the terrain you'll be walking on is "uneven", e.g. grass athletic fields, even a cow pasture would be good. A hilly pasture would be even better. :D That will help with both fitness and getting your feet and ankles toughened up.
One blister could make your trip miserable. So don't let that happen.

The shuttle deal is the only real issue.
I lean towards leaving my vehicle at Logan to get and early start.

Otherwise I would try to be at Logan Pass as early as you can make it.
Reserve the first shuttle. as suggested.
You don't want to be rushed on this iconic hike :)
It's cooler. Better light for pics and maybe see more animals. I usually get to the chalet (7.6 miles) in about 4 hours--and that's doggin' it while I take pics and video. It's a beautiful walk the whole way out to the chalet.
Then you'd break for lunch at the chalet with its gorgeous views. Picnic tables outside are nice in good weather.

The hike up to Swiftcurrent pass is short (<1mile)but a bit steep. Once over the pass, it's 6 1/2 miles all down hill with great views looking East as you descend the switchbacks to the valley below. The last few miles will likely be in the afternoon sun. So hot but still flat(ish) to gently down hill to Swiftcurrent parking lot.

You'll have until dark to make it 8)

Do it if you can.

pete :wink:

PS
I know most folks can't start their hikes early, but...
Maybe see the old boy at the end of the video in the Logan pass lot if you get there early enough. 8)
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “Hiking”