flat tarp and boots

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

McKee80
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

flat tarp and boots

Post by McKee80 »

Hi,

I'm preparing for a trip in early-mid sept in the northern part of the park and I was curious if anyone had used a flat tarp for a shelter out there. Seems like it would be fine if you knew how to pitch it. Or even a bivy. I'm wondering since I've heard lots of stories about deer and goats getting all up in your business. Seems like it might be nice to have a tent to put some space between me and them. But I'll be rolling with 8 days of food and trying to cut weight where I can.

Also, with the possibility of snow and some off trail planned, I'm thinking of leaving the trail runners at home and bringing the big 'ol boots.

Anybody have experience with minimal shelters or trail runners out there?

Thanks,
Sean
PeteE

Re: flat tarp and boots

Post by PeteE »

Hey Sean and Paul:

You and Paul were talking about tents and...
I was going to post it on your Yosemite report but I'm posting this here so more people can see it.

I have two minimalist type "Tarptents" made by Henry Shires-- An original Tarptent I and Tarptent II.
Bought them years ago.
Very well made. Shires has gone on to expand his line of tents and he has a wide variety to chose from now days.

This particular one might be something you'd like Paul. Out of stock now so you may want to see about availability.

Dorf camped in the Beartooth in two different models of Shires' tents.
Dorf is/was a moderator on this GNP chat gear thread.
Check out dorf's site for pictures and reports. http://www.dorfworld.net/backcountry/backcountry.html

Tarptents are now available in freestanding models like this one. The price is certain right if they get more stock
https://www.tarptent.com/product/bowfin-1/
Main site
https://www.tarptent.com/

I've camped in my old Tarptent II in some BAD weather a couple times and it held up well.
The Bowfin which is freestanding looks good to me. 38oz. is pretty light too for a good tent.
Good company to deal with too. They stand behind their product.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Post by McKee80 »

Cool, thanks for the info! With the way the weather turned out, I’m really glad I didn’t go with just a tarp!
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

I have a tarptent but it's not free standing. I'll check out the new ones online. I like the tarptents because they are so light and there's plenty of room for gear. I never used them in bad weather. Dorf inspired me to buy my tarptent.
Last edited by paul on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

I have been swapping out a few pieces of gear by selling my old stuff and buying used. My most recent purchase is a Tarptent Double Rainbow, which is in like-new condition. I am looking forward to the extra space without any weight sacrifice from my 1P Big Agnes tent.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”