Gassing up

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

RussC
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Gassing up

Post by RussC »

I will be in flying to get to Glacier, and I am wondering how easy it is to get fuel once we land. Is Whitefish fairly well equipped with stores that sell fuel? We will be bringing stoves in our checked luggage. Bear spray is another purchase we will be looking for. I assume these items are not sold at the Park Service stations where we get our permits.

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks,

Russ
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Re: Gassing up

Post by cdsmith379 »

You will have no problem finding the more popular fuels you may need once you arrive. You wrote after you land, so I assume you are flying into FCA and depending on if you have a rental car or not obtaining those fuels will vary from easy to moderate. I usually head to Snappys Sports Center for my fuel and bear spray but you can find these at most outdoor themed stores on the way into the park. If you are taking a private shuttle in just ask them to stop for you I can't imagine that would be an issue. If it is an exotic fuel(ie not butane/propane canister or white fuel) you could have more of a challenge.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

You might want to email or call the Glacier Outdoor Center in West Glacier. If they don't carry your fuel, chances are they would know who would. Bear spray is readily available at many places in Whitefish and West Glacier.

https://glacierraftco.com/glacier-outdoor-store/
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

Bear spray and fuel is not going to be a problem to find, if you have some really weird requirement for fuel, you might have to detour a bit to someone like Sportsman's, Cabela's or Snappy's, but between those three you will be able to get most what ever you can think of.

Bear spray you can get at gas station convenience stores during the season.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Thanks for the info! You have to love a place where they sell bear spray at a gas station!

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”