So what new piece of gear have you purchased lately?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jen

Re: So what new piece of gear have you purchased lately?

Post by Jen »

missguinness wrote: after 5 minutes of wearing it, it starts to smell.
Glad to learn it is not just my funk. ;)

Great find! Thanks for the tip!

( I am still waiting for my email from REI. :( )
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by mattB »

missguinness wrote: On a different note, I recently became a product tester for REI. They sent me their Igneo 17 sleeping bag. Best part is I get to keep the gear. :arrow:
How do you get that job????? Where can I signup? :-) :-)
missguinness
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by missguinness »

mattB wrote:
missguinness wrote: On a different note, I recently became a product tester for REI. They sent me their Igneo 17 sleeping bag. Best part is I get to keep the gear. :arrow:
I joked with Jen that it must have been a slow email day because I read an email from REI asking people if they wanted to be product testers. I had to fill out a form about the different activities I do and my sizes. This first round I had choices of 1 or 2 person tent, different sleeping bag temps, 70L backpack, and a camp chair. I marked the ones I was willing to test, and they sent me a 17 degree sleeping bag. I just had to review it and then I could keep it. :arrow: Can't wait for the next round.
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
~Victor Hugo
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

missguinness wrote:
mattB wrote:
I joked with Jen that it must have been a slow email day because I read an email from REI asking people if they wanted to be product testers. I had to fill out a form about the different activities I do and my sizes. This first round I had choices of 1 or 2 person tent, different sleeping bag temps, 70L backpack, and a camp chair. I marked the ones I was willing to test, and they sent me a 17 degree sleeping bag. I just had to review it and then I could keep it. :arrow: Can't wait for the next round.
Sounds like a great deal. I hope I get that email!
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Hi Jay,

I've taken a pretty close look at these Aegismax bags. The price can't be beat and from what I've read, the down is the same as that used in some of the high end bags that are made in China (for those with ethical concerns). Aegismax makes a few different types of sleeping bags and quilts. This particular model is new to me. The baffles do not appear to be sewn through, which is a good thing.

There is much discussion of the Aegismax bags on the Reddit ultralight community forum. This bag, as well as most Aegismax bags, is made with 20D fabric. Some reviewers on Reddit claim that the 20D fabric is not conducive to breathability, resulting in complaints of waking up a bit sweaty. Others say if you sleep in clothing made of breathable fabric, you should be fine. So there are mixed reviews.

Finally, I'm not sure that I would rely on the given temperature rating. A suggestion that I've read is to wash an Aegismax bag with Nikwax Downwash, and then treat it with Nikwax Downproof wash-in water repellant. Doing so apparently increases the loft and adds warmth to the bag.

I was seriously considering one (the Aegismax M3), but did not pull the plug. If you decide to go for it, you can also find them on Amazon if you are leary of purchasing through Aliexpress.
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Heff936 »

It looks like a very good deal given the down and weight specs. The down weight looks right for the stated temperature ratings.

Heff
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Thanks for the feedback, especially teapot with an "A" for extra credit in the detail department. I freeze my ass off in a "19 degree" bag from REI when the temp gets near freezing...hell, below 40F. I kind of doubt I'd be far from the car when it looks like snow flurries, so this would be a car camping bag (for the freeze baby.)

Normally Julie and I each have bags, and then we throw a warm blanket over the two of us. That's great for 40-45F. Alone, and when the temps get colder, I'm climbing in the bag with a ton of clothes.

Thanks,

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Thanks for the feedback, especially teapot with an "A" for extra credit in the detail department.
No problem, Jay. I've been obsessively researching sleeping bags and quilts lately. :D
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I gave my new Salomon boots a "break in" yesterday along with my new Osprey Talon 6 fanny pack.
I wore the boots right out of the box after removing the factory foot bed and replacing with my custom orthotics.

4.72 miles in 1:18 minutes-- non stop. Moving right along for the geezer. 8)
Boots felt really, really good. So did the little pack, very comfortable.

Boots

Talon6(I bought locally)
https://www.backcountry.com/Store/catal ... u&q=Talon6

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
indiana hiker

Post by indiana hiker »

Hey Pete, I ordered the Osprey Talon (from Backcountry) right after you mentioned it in April. Haven't used it yet, but some reviews note the waist strap as being too thin. What did you think? Just trying it around the house, seemed ok, but didn't have any water or supplies in it.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

indiana hiker wrote:Hey Pete, I ordered the Osprey Talon (from Backcountry) right after you mentioned it in April. Haven't used it yet, but some reviews note the waist strap as being too thin. What did you think? Just trying it around the house, seemed ok, but didn't have any water or supplies in it.
Yeah, I saw that criticism about the waist band being too thin, and therefore uncomfortable.
Beginning with the general proposition that:

No pack will fit comfortably on every person

And given that any pack can be uncomfortable on any given person(no different than boots/shoes, or anything else "personal")...
In my opinion, most of those complaints regarding the waist belt cutting into them come from:
1) overloading the pack and/or...
2) from people who are "overweight".

I weighed mine after seeing your post. Refilled the bottles(which I do not like because they won't stand up. Those were a DUMB design)
Just over 4 lbs. Other than the ~1liter of water, I had a light windbreaker, two energy bars, Sony P&S camera. GPS and wallet in pants pocket.
Never felt the weight while walking. Loosen the belt a bit and slide the pack around to reach water and camera.
IMO, this pack is not made to haul a lot of weight. I got mine to do short(ish) hikes on GOOD weather days like ShangriLa, the Dragon's Tail, Scenic point, etc.
Then if I'm carrying my A77II, it will carry more comfortably than if I was wearing a backpack.

Some people believe that because a pack has pockets, they all need to be stuffed full of "something" 8)
Fine with me, be uncomfortable.

I measured the "tag end" you pull on to tighten the belt. After i got in on around my waist(34"W, 34"inseam---6'4"/182lbs) where I wear it(right over belly button)...
The loose ends were each 8 inches.
More important, the padded hip portion of the belt ended just above my hip bone.
The pack weight is held snug against my back above my waistline, where it should be.
And I don't overload the pack, and so it is less prone to "sag", pulling at my stomach in front.

The larger one's waist line is, the more of that thin belt will be let out.
That in turn places the body of the pack in a position to sag over your butt....
Since the "hip belt" is no longer properly situated over your hips.
And the tighter you pull the belt to try and get the pack up where it's supposed to be, the more it cuts into your mid section.
I don't doubt it's uncomfortable for some people.

Bottom line for me is that one needs to find a fanny pack design that fits ones body properly.
Get that weight, whatever it is, distributed on ones hips. It'll make a HUGE difference in comfort over a long day.

I have a Marmot fanny pack for heavier loads. Big wide, tall lumbar pad in back. Wider waist belt.
I used it last year summiting Piegan---on a very nice day.
Way more comfortable than a back pack for lighter loads imo.

George Carlin
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

When I met my partner a couple of years ago, it had been about 30 years since he'd been backpacking, but he was thrilled to take it up again with me. Since then, we've been getting him outfitted bit by bit, but he's been using a slightly heavy/bulky-but-serviceable old sleeping bag of mine, and recently I've been advocating upgrading him to a nicer one. He finally agreed, but wanted us to try a two-person quilt rather than getting him his own mummy since he has no interest in backpacking solo.

So, during the big Memorial Day sales, we pulled the trigger on a system similar to the one that Heff and MissGuiness have: A Nemo Tango Duo Slim (30-degree) with a Thermarest Down Coupler to go over our two Big Agnes (insulated) 20" pads . :arrow:

The Tango is warm and deliciously light and fluffy. Since I sleep pretty cold, however, I doubt it would be enough for me if I were alone in the 30s or low 40s unless I put on some extra layer(s). Still, I'm hoping that having two people will help keep my feet toasty in that range, and I'm frankly unlikely to do any real "winter" camping. I think I will like the flexibility of the system: the hood is removable and the Tango also has a non-insulated undersheet which I think should be sufficient for many of our trips here in Virginia.

Bonus: because the bag he was using wasn't particularly light, we'll actually be shaving some weight by using this system vs what we had before. :mrgreen: I can't wait to try it out! I'm even considering using the quilt solo sometime: it weighs roughly what my 20-degree down mummy bag does, packs smaller, and boy, it would be nice to be able to sprawl in my sleep a bit...

Many thanks to Heff and MissGuiness for sharing their experience and answering my questions!
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Here's a tripod I bought last week that hikers and backpackers may be interested in.
I wanted something light and compact that I could use with my new Sony A77II.
The hodgepodge tripod setup I had used before was heavy and not the easiest thing to use.
I believe this tripod will work well.
Here's a link for the official data.
Good value for under $30.00 imo.

I used it the other night at Lake McDonald. It might appear that the A77II is unstable on it, but the lil tripod held it just fine.
This is a "no brainer" for those with small P&S cameras.
It does extend to 39"
Click 'em

Lame video report on it here for those interested. 8)

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

indiana hiker wrote:Hey Pete, I ordered the Osprey Talon (from Backcountry) right after you mentioned it in April. Haven't used it yet, but some reviews note the waist strap as being too thin. What did you think? Just trying it around the house, seemed ok, but didn't have any water or supplies in it.
I saw the one review on the REI page that didn't like the "thin" waist belt.
What a nit pickin' WHINER. LOL!!
He/she isn't going to like ANY Osprey day packs since every single one has the same waist belt configuration.
( I guess Osprey hasn't got the word that obese is the "new normal".)

I loaded my little Talon 6 with 5lbs 5oz which is about all I can get in it.
I did 6.6 miles in 1:55minutes yesterday. No discomfort at all.

No problem reaching anything in the pack while walking(or jogging if I was jogging).
I simply loosen the waist belt about an inch and slide it around so it's in front.

George Carlin

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”