So what new piece of gear have you purchased lately?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jen

Re: So what new piece of gear have you purchased lately?

Post by Jen »

Jay w wrote:I realize you've made your choice but the tarp is also in a photo on pg 3, Oct 5th under Trip Reports/Other National Parks post Yellowstone/Tetons 2016.

Just putting out that opportunity for you to get sucked into another trip report. :D

Jay
Heading out for a walk with Maia on this beautifully drizzly 46º day. I look forward to delving into the Yellowstone report while we dry out later this afternoon. :)
Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Jay w »

I'd have to look to make sure, but my poor memory says it's a Kelty Noah 12x12. It comes with poles that I didn't bring on the trip. I used a cord to hang the thing. So the weight probably includes some pole weight. It's not light though, but folds much smaller than a tarp and is lighter.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

Jen wrote:My most recent purchase was the Tarp Tent I bought last year for our family trip to Cloud Peak Wilderness. We needed a 4 person lightweight tent and the Hogback has been amazing! Love it!
https://www.tarptent.com/hogback.html

I have my eye on a new sleeping bag for this year (handing my Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 down to Maia). ;)
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

Thanks for the Thread, Teapot! I heart new gear! Congrats on the new pack for Cam!
If I can ever get my leg fixed and back on the trail again, a tarptent rainbow is at the top of my list. Seems like a tremendous company and I've only ever seen positive reviews. Sounds like you're enjoying yours!
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I took a look in the basement. I have the Kelty Noah 12x12. It came without poles, but I have a tarp cover with poles that I bought for providing shade when I'm doing back yard projects. I brought the poles from the tarp cover to Bowman, but never used them.

That's what I remember and I'm sticking to it.

BTW, it is a nice addition for car camping. If it rains in the back country, you'll have people buying you virtual beers or even kegs. If you have a few people splitting up kitchen supplies, it would be a nice addition.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Jay w wrote:I took a look in the basement. I have the Kelty Noah 12x12. It came without poles, but I have a tarp cover with poles that I bought for providing shade when I'm doing back yard projects. I brought the poles from the tarp cover to Bowman, but never used them.

BTW, it is a nice addition for car camping. If it rains in the back country, you'll have people buying you virtual beers or even kegs. If you have a few people splitting up kitchen supplies, it would be a nice addition.

Jay
I still say that Kelty 12x12 ~2 lb tarp is overkill for backpacking.
I guess if you have a "slave" like a kid (child labor laws?) to carry a heavy tarp it's no big deal. 8)
Have Maia sell cookies and pickup cans and bottles to buy a lightweight tarp.
An 8x8 sil-nylon would be a fraction of the weight and plenty big for 2 people in a food prep area.
Buy a cheap 12x12 at Home Depot for car camping. :mrgreen:

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jen

Post by Jen »

Jay w wrote:I took a look in the basement. I have the Kelty Noah 12x12. It came without poles, but I have a tarp cover with poles that I bought for providing shade when I'm doing back yard projects. I brought the poles from the tarp cover to Bowman, but never used them.

Jay
Yep! It is likely we will be a party of 4 for the backpack so I am happy with my choice especially at that price. I like the idea of receiving beers for bringing the tarp. Even if they are virtual beers!
kdoc

Post by kdoc »

Jen wrote:My most recent purchase was the Tarp Tent I bought last year for our family trip to Cloud Peak Wilderness. We needed a 4 person lightweight tent and the Hogback has been amazing! Love it!
https://www.tarptent.com/hogback.html

I have my eye on a new sleeping bag for this year (handing my Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 down to Maia). ;)
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

Thanks for the Thread, Teapot! I heart new gear! Congrats on the new pack for Cam!
Make sure you order that sleeping bag well in advance, mine took nearly the full 5 weeks when I ordered it last year.
Jen

Post by Jen »

kdoc wrote: Make sure you order that sleeping bag well in advance, mine took nearly the full 5 weeks when I ordered it last year.
How do you like it???
kdoc

Post by kdoc »

Jen wrote:
kdoc wrote: Make sure you order that sleeping bag well in advance, mine took nearly the full 5 weeks when I ordered it last year.
How do you like it???
Love it, nice and lightweight, packs really small. Got a 40 degree version and kept me warm enough even the morning it snowed up at fifty mountain.
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

Jen wrote:I am thinking of getting an ultralight tarp to hang over the food prep area in case of crappy weather. They are really pricey though. I see some great deals on footprints. Any insight as to whether that might work as an overhead tarp?
I repurpose old plastic shower curtains for a lot of things, that might work, and not be too pricy!! :-)
Jen

Post by Jen »

kdoc wrote:
Jen wrote:
How do you like it???
Love it, nice and lightweight, packs really small. Got a 40 degree version and kept me warm enough even the morning it snowed up at fifty mountain.
I placed my order on Sunday. I am pretty excited about this! :arrow:
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

:| :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :|

Jen, which temperature rating did you go with?
Jen

Post by Jen »

teapot57 wrote:
:| :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :|

Jen, which temperature rating did you go with?
850 fill, 20º, regular length, 58 wide. :)
Goat

Post by Goat »

My latest new piece of gear? Hmmm...well, I bought a new polycro groundsheet from gossamer gear a while back. And, although not exactly new, I sent my MLD duomid in for a zipper replacement. Can't give up my 'mid, we've seen lots of adventures together and it's still going strong after 6+ years. Hard to beat 15 oz for a bomber shelter (including stakes).

Goat
missguinness
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by missguinness »

I don't know if this qualifies as new gear, but last year we were introduced to a product called deFUNKit. We all have those synthetic fabric shirts that even being diligent in washing, after 5 minutes of wearing it, it starts to smell. This stuff really works. Originally bought it on Amazon for $20. It only does 1 load of wash but when you throw in all your workout/hiking gear, it's perfect because if we (Heff and I) were to replace shirts and shorts it would cost A LOT more than $20. We washed our clothes last July and the smell hasn't returned. We decided to make it an annual wash of clothes. Yesterday, I found the stuff for $10 at Leftlane. Sweet! On a different note, I recently became a product tester for REI. They sent me their Igneo 17 sleeping bag. Best part is I get to keep the gear. :arrow:
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
~Victor Hugo

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”