Hiking Boot Dilemma

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

raddr
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Hiking Boot Dilemma

Post by raddr »

Thanks to the incredibly knowledgeable and helpful posters here I have my gear needs pretty well figured out for my GNP trip later this month. I do have one unsolved issue, however. I recently bought a nice pair of Salomon Gore Tex hiking boots that I am currently breaking in. I bought them because my recent trip to the Smokies was an exercise in frustration with wet feet due to the rainy, wet conditions found on most trails in that area. I decided I needed waterproof boots for future expeditions there and elsewhere. Enter the new waterproof Salomons. I love the lightness and comfort but I find that my feet sweat a lot in them and I rubbed blister on a 7.5 mile hike last Sunday, probably at least in part due to the fact that my feet were so wet despite moisture-wicking wool socks. Admittedly it was a very hot Texas day but my feet were soaked not even halfway into the hike as I recall. I am buying some Coolmax sock liners which may help but I doubt it will make a huge difference - at least here in Texas. Maybe this won't be such a concern in relatively cool Glacier. My older non-waterproof Vasques are cooler, just as comfortable, and have never rubbed a blister. However, besides not being waterproof they are a little heavy and don't have as much ankle support.

So I guess my question is how important is the waterproofing for hiking in Glacier? I might end up bringing both pair but if I just bring one which would you recommend?
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Re: Hiking Boot Dilemma

Post by scott-atl »

I'd go w comfort.
Jen

Post by Jen »

scott-atl wrote:I'd go w comfort.
Agree
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Are you sure the wetness is coming from sweat? Were you walking through wet grass? What kind of socks (material) were you wearing.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I have the Solomon GTX's, coincidentally so does JayW as I found out.
Light, good support, especially with my custom orthotics.

My feet don't sweat that much. However, I always carry an extra pair of socks.
I'm wearing Darn Tough socks these days. I've come to like that tight weave they use.

So, at the risk of making your pack 4oz heavier 8) I would suggest you change socks, maybe several times while you hike.
Check your feet for potential hot spots. If you find one, cover it right then.
Hang the wet ones on your pack. They'll dry quickly...unless it's raining :)
There's nothing like the feeling of putting on dry socks on a long hike.
Dry socks are a psychological boost if nothing else.

And do not over train these last 10 days or so.
Take it easy on your feet and knees. Sounds like you are ok in terms of your heart/lung fitness.
Take care of the blister you have now. If you do walk some, consider covering it with mole skin.
The absolute LAST thing you want is to arrive here with a blister of any sort.

And yeah, I go with comfort over waterproof for hiking here in GNP.
Personally, I don't put much store in the "waterproofness" claims any of these brands make anyway.
If you get caught out in a rain storm, having those spare dry sox will be nice.

Gaiters can help keep your boots dry too, both from rain, and wet morning vegetation on some trails.
Get short, waterproof, or repellant gaiters.
And don't tuck your long pants(if worn) into your gaiters. Some people think that looks cool...whatever 8)
If you tuck pants inside your gaiters , they'll work well to funnel water inside the gaiters and down into and/or on to your boots :shock:

Face it.
This first trip here will be a learning experience for you.
There's sometimes no way to know about some stuff until you just get out there and see what works.

"Just Do It"
...as the man once said 8)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jen

Post by Jen »

I agree with Pete on the socks. I always have at least one extra set of socks in my day pack. When I stop for lunch I usually air out the dogs while I eat and change socks before hitting the trail again.

As for the gaiters, I definitely tuck my pants in if I am using them for wet vegetation. I like to keep my pant legs dry. :)
raddr

Post by raddr »

Great advice guys and gals - thanks!

Jay: Yes it is sweat for sure. Despite the spring floods the trails are bone dry here now. I think I am going to try an antiperspirant on my feet and see if that helps. It is really hot here in N. Texas so maybe that is the real problem. I can't imagine I will sweat as much in Glacier!

Pete, Jen: Extra socks are a great idea. Do you all find gaiters necessary in GNP during the summer? I guess you never know when you will get caught in rain but other than that?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

raddr wrote:Great advice guys and gals - thanks!

Jay: Yes it is sweat for sure. Despite the spring floods the trails are bone dry here now. I think I am going to try an antiperspirant on my feet and see if that helps. It is really hot here in N. Texas so maybe that is the real problem. I can't imagine I will sweat as much in Glacier!

Pete, Jen: Extra socks are a great idea. Do you all find gaiters necessary in GNP during the summer? I guess you never know when you will get caught in rain but other than that?
Dry socks are critical imo to prevent blisters
First, I would try one of these products before using an "antiperspirant".
Read up on the benefits of "lubricants" and blister prevention.
http://walking.about.com/od/blisterscha ... erprep.htm

I wear gaiters all year long off and on. I wear the short, nylon type that aren't hot in the summer...or don't seem so on me.
This size, only mine are tan and treated with permethrin.
http://www.rei.com/product/852794/outdo ... ow-gaiters
I seem to stumble a lot 8)
And so I wear them as much to keep rocks and debris out of my boots as for rain or wet vegetation.
I take them off and hang them on my pack when not needed.

Some people find gaiters to be hot and so they might aggravate your feet sweating.
Were I you, I wouldn't wear them unless you anticipated hiking through wet brush or it rained.
Take them off after getting through wet areas.

As for tucking pants in, or not.
I could care less if my pants get wet or dirty. I look like "Pig Pen" anyway after an hour of hiking.
Your pants will dry quickly if they get wet. Your boots and feet will not. 8)

PS
I've worn "Smart Wool" socks it seems forever...
However, the last couple years I have been wearing "Darn Tough" brand socks and I like them better.
My niece is married to an US Army Ranger. He told me a lot of guys really liked the Darn Tough socks when they were in Iraq/Afghanistan.
And it is definitely "hot" over there...more ways than one. :shock:

I like the tight weave and the snug fit of the Darn Tough socks.
They may help you. I'd try a pair were I you.
http://www.socksaddict.com/3381-Darn-To ... Socks.aspx

George Carlin
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

Although I try to stay reasonably fit, I have never trained for a hike. Hiking makes me fitter. (Is that a word?)
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Hiking makes me fitter. (Is that a word?)
Of course "fitter" is a "word"....if you want it to be a word. 8)
Stuff like rules for "comparative and superlative adjectives" e.g. fit, more fit, most fit, don't matter anymore.
Proper syntax and spelling rules aren't required in the English language now days.
If I(or you) say it's a "word", then it's a word. How one spells and pronounces their word is personal choice.
Disagreeing with the above is probably a "micro-aggression" and one could be prosecuted under the law. 8)

/sarc

George Carlin
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

Verbose but nice.
raddr

Post by raddr »

macchia wrote: Dry socks are critical imo to prevent blisters
First, I would try one of these products before using an "antiperspirant".
Read up on the benefits of "lubricants" and blister prevention.
http://walking.about.com/od/blisterscha ... erprep.htm
Quick followup: I applied a coating of a foot antiperspirant before a 5 mile hike this morning. It was very hot and my clothes were soaked but my feet remained almost completely dry. So much better than the last time when I was swimming in my shoes. Problem solved. :)

This is the stuff if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AF7 ... ge_o06_s01
jamesdak
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by jamesdak »

Well, I'm mainly a road cyclist now days but as on old marathoner and ex soldier I've always fought hot spots on the feet. The last couple of years I've been using my chamois lubricant, Chamois Butt'r on my feet before each hike. Just a light coat mainly on the balls and heels is all I need. Add in the dry socks like others say and blisters seem to be a thing of the past. I swear by the Smart Wool Socks and agree with everyone else about carrying a dry pair and swapping out. On a day long hike I normally find a place around lunch time to take a dip in a creek or at least soak the feet. Then make sure they are well dry before putting the socks back on and continuing.
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

raddr wrote:Great advice guys and gals - thanks!

Do you all find gaiters necessary in GNP during the summer? I guess you never know when you will get caught in rain but other than that?
I almost always wear gaiters when hiking in Glacier, but its more just to keep dirt, dust, rocks, pine needles out of my boots and socks. I have a couple pairs of Dirty Girl Gaiters. (. https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/ ). They're very light and work well keeping junk out of your boots but aren't too hot, although they do come in some hot colors!
DonnaGail
Gender?: Female

Post by DonnaGail »

I never like to hike in shoes/boots that aren't waterproof because I always seem to encounter water on the trail. I do like to use liners depending on the trail and if I am breaking in new boots and I make sure my wool socks have a tight weave where I can't see my finger when I stretch the fabric. Extra socks are almost a necessity for me when backpacking. And sometimes an extra pair for the camp and sleeping is good. Keeps my feet warm when I sleep and the mosquitoes off my feet when walking about the camp. Liners will work for this too to save on the weight.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”