EXPED Air Mattress

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

EXPED Air Mattress

Post by PeteE »

This text is a repeat of comments I made on Paul's thread.
I added a video here to show how much noise it makes while moving around on it.

I have one of these in large wide bought in early 2012.
http://www.rei.com/product/811907/exped ... -7-air-pad
I'm 6'4"/180, so I bought the large/wide (78"L and 26"W and 21oz.)
I have had to repair one tiny pinhole leak in 2013. Took all night to go half way down.
I'm a side sleeper. I don't believe it's a noisy pad. Whatever, it is by far, the most comfortable pad I have ever owned.
No it's not light at 21oz but comfort is important to me. Comfort for me means better sleep.

I roll mine up "full width" and fits easily in a old stuff sack that's about 23"x5". I strap it on the outside of my pack.
Rolling it avoids "creases" folding makes. Better idea imo.
You can carry yours however you like 8)

Y'all may want to watch this review even though it is somewhat negative compared to the NeoAir.

pete 8)

"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
paul
Donator
Donator

Re: EXPED Air Mattress

Post by paul »

Thanks Pete,

The noise seems limited on the exped.

The review video had some legitimate negatives of the exped compared to the neoair. The biggest negative for me was that it's not as warm as the neoair. I'm the market for a new sleeping pad because my current pad doesn't insulate enough.

Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

It looks like the exped synmat hyperlite has an R-value of 3.3, which is the same as a neoair xlite. At a comparable weight (both are 12oz). Or the synmat winterlite with an R=4.9 comes in at 16oz. The expeds do offer a ton of loft 2.8" is almost twice what my thermarest sports right now. Interesting pete.

I have no experience with the sea-to-summit but their ultralite insulated pad (again R=3.3 but at 16oz) looks intriguing to me. They also have a comfortlight insulated with a higher R.
http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?ite ... 2=0&o3=906

Pete: You ever had any issues with the exped leaking? I have seen reviews that said the expeds develop leaks fairly easily (they have the lightest weight fabric apparently) so was just curious if you've ever had any issues?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Pete: You ever had any issues with the exped leaking? I have seen reviews that said the expeds develop leaks fairly easily (they have the lightest weight fabric apparently) so was just curious if you've ever had any issues?
Yeah, I've had one leak, a really tiny one. It would take overnight for it to deflate about 1/2 way.
And it was a real "B" to find. I finally took it outside and used some Dawn dish detergent for a "bubble agent" and found it.
The patch kit works well. The patch has held up well.

I want to reiterate that this is the most comfortable[for me] air mattress I've owned.
I realize that people have their own individual needs and wants---and they aren't the same as mine.

I also do things like stow gear at the foot end and sides so the mattress can't slide much either way on the tent floor.
And my tent floor isn't long enough to permit much movement anyway.
I also thoroughly "sweep" my tent site removing as much debris as I can.
Many of the bc sites have brooms in the outhouse. Make sure you return them.
I use a tree branch if no broom. Get all those lil rocks and twigs out of the way.

Low resistance to punctures is probably its biggest drawback. I can live with it for now.
The EXPED probably isn't a good choice if you are going into really rough country where you don't have relatively "nice" campsites as in GNP.

I have camped in temps that were below freezing with my EXPED.
I used a different bag and I dressed in warmer sleeping clothes.
I wasn't cold. But then I have never relied on my mattress pad as a major factor for keeping me warm.
Back when I hunted/bow hunted a lot, I slept a many a sub freezing night on those old closed cell pads.
But I was younger then 8)

pete :wink:

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Keep in mind that the EXPED I own is the large one 78"x26" and weighs 21oz.
The shorter narrower models are comparable in weight to NeoAir and other brands.
There are almost always tradeoffs when you try to go ultralight.
Some are worth it and some not so much ...imo.
I think people get way too anal about the weight of some stuff.
I can't get too excited about weight differences of a couple ounces, or even 4 or five ounces.
Geez! You can compensate for 4 ounces in a dozen ways.
So get what "WORKS" for you and just "suck it up" if you can't find something to leave out to compensate.
Do a few extra pushups, or miles, or whatever 8)

later
gotta go to work

pete :wink:

George Carlin
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

Thanks for the input. I know paul was looking for an air mattress and I've been looking into them as well. Good to hear how comfy it is. Right now I'm on a thermarest prolite plus, which is ok, but at 1.5" thick I definitely see some of the air paids that are 2.5 or 2.8" thick and wonder... plus I'm admittedly a gear whore.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”