tents w built in lights

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

scott-atl
Donator
Donator

tents w built in lights

Post by scott-atl »

a new option I've noticed from tent makers like big agnes. the only advantage that I can think of would be setting up in the dark. could make it easier I guess.
smahurin
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: tents w built in lights

Post by smahurin »

Ya its interesting. Honestly I think it makes more sense for their car camping tents than the backpacking tents. I realize its only adding about 2oz to the copper spur series tents, but if you're backpacking you need a head lamp anyways regardless of whether you have tent lights. And at least me, I'm not looking to read a book or anything backpacking. Plus I'm curious whether the light string makes it a pain to pack up the tents (likely not a big one though).

But on the car camping tents seems to make alot of sense. I'd love for my car camping tent to have a set of built in lights, which I suppose I could buy as BA has the light strings sold independently too. Would just make it easier than my lanterns to play cards, read a book, etc with the light suspended overhead.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Marketers are clever folks aren't they?
Just another gadget that, if successful, will prove that some people will buy anything. 8)
This light is similar to the "backpack bear spray" in that regard.

Personally, I'd rather see the tent makers spend their money and research effort on things like better, lighter, stronger tent materials, improved seam construction and seam sealing, pole material, design and construction, etc. etc.

As always though, people should be free to buy whatever they like....even something tent with a "built-in light"!

What's next y'all? A tent top solar charger charger for your smart phone? 8)
Including a custom, waterproof, pocket for your phone sewn on to the tent's interior tub wall.

YeeeHaww!
Ain't innovation grand? I love innovation!
:arrow:

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jen

Post by Jen »

Sorry,Pete.
Although your idea is a good one, someone beat you to it. You coulda been a billionaire!
:P

http://efergy.com/blog/orange-in-tent-o ... d-camping/#
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Jen wrote:Sorry,Pete.
Although your idea is a good one, someone beat you to it. You coulda been a billionaire!
:P

http://efergy.com/blog/orange-in-tent-o ... d-camping/#
ROFLMAO! :arrow:

:wink:

George Carlin
PJ

Post by PJ »

We read all the time when we're backpacking - and a headlight works just fine. No need to carry 2 extra ounces - take more palcohol instead!
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by joybird »

PJ wrote:
We read all the time when we're backpacking - and a headlight works just fine.
THIS is why I finally broke down and bought a Kindle. For seven ounces, I can take all the books I want (including Molvar's trail guide), some crossword and sudoku puzzles, AND have them self-lighting in a way that doesn't wipe out all my night vision. Came in way handy last summer when I was hunkered down in a tent for much of the day during a long, cold, messy, sleety storm that had socked me in at Gunsight Lake.

I swore I'd never consider anything but "real" books, but I'm sure eating some tasty crow when I backpack with my Kindle. :wink:
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

On a slightly different topic, I have often thought that a backpack with lights would be a great idea. I can't begin to count how many times I have stopped on a trail and searched through my backpack trying to locate some item in there. Sometimes I have to virtually empty the pack to find it. My solution recently has been to carry a small flashlight in a side pocket and use the flashlight to look through my pack.

Lyman
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

joybird wrote: THIS is why I finally broke down and bought a Kindle. For seven ounces, I can take all the books I want (including Molvar's trail guide), some crossword and sudoku puzzles, AND have them self-lighting in a way that doesn't wipe out all my night vision. Came in way handy last summer when I was hunkered down in a tent for much of the day during a long, cold, messy, sleety storm that had socked me in at Gunsight Lake.

I swore I'd never consider anything but "real" books, but I'm sure eating some tasty crow when I backpack with my Kindle. :wink:
Deb and I have had Kindles for a couple of years now and I can't bring myself to go back to paper books, they take up so much room and we can carry them when we are out camping, I did a check on mine a couple of weeks ago, and in the time I have had mine, I have read over 100 new books, and I believe Deb is well over 300 books, that would have never been read without them.

Good invest and does not add much weight to your pack.
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

For those who do backpack with their kindle where do you keep it while packing? Do you do anything special to protect it?
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

smahurin wrote:For those who do backpack with their kindle where do you keep it while packing? Do you do anything special to protect it?
Both Deb and I have fold over cases for ours, that protects them, in fact I found out how well back in January, when we came home to about 3 foot of snow, Deb dropped mine in the snow and we couldn't find it, so it set out in the snow for over a day and I finally found it, dried out the case and figured the kindle was toast, low and behold, still works with no problem without any problems at all, the case protected it from impact, cause I was digging in the area and hit it with a shovel and didn't get any moisture in it. So if you are thinking about getting one, I would make sure and get a good case for it, they really do protect them.
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

smahurin wrote:For those who do backpack with their kindle where do you keep it while packing? Do you do anything special to protect it?
Although I normally have "book-like" cover for my Kindle (I find that more comfortable to hold than the flat Kindle by itself), when I backpack I remove the cover to save weight and bulk. I put the Kindle in a heavy-duty, waterproof sleeve and then pack it in the waterproof compartment on the underside of the lid of my backpack. I figure up there it's not going to get banged around much. The sleeve I used is one made by Seattle Sports http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productc ... oduct=1937. I liked it because it was relatively cheap and it has a loop on the back that I can slip my hand in to make it easier to hold the Kindle.
missguinness
Donator
Donator

Post by missguinness »

daveparker wrote:
joybird wrote: THIS is why I finally broke down and bought a Kindle. For seven ounces, I can take all the books I want (including Molvar's trail guide), some crossword and sudoku puzzles, AND have them self-lighting in a way that doesn't wipe out all my night vision. Came in way handy last summer when I was hunkered down in a tent for much of the day during a long, cold, messy, sleety storm that had socked me in at Gunsight Lake.

Deb and I have had Kindles for a couple of years now and I can't bring myself to go back to paper books, they take up so much room and we can carry them when we are out camping, I did a check on mine a couple of weeks ago, and in the time I have had mine, I have read over 100 new books, and I believe Deb is well over 300 books, that would have never been read without them.

Good invest and does not add much weight to your pack.
Heff and I both carry Kindles when backpacking. I read really fast and on a 12 night backpacking trip, I could go through easily 6 books. I am NOT carrying 6 books with me and there is only so many times that I can re-read the same book during that time. We buy very few books since we can download books from the library.

We don't use cases with the Kindles, but we do put them inside out clothing bag, which is water resistant, stuffed around other things in our backpack. I love that there are so many others who take Kindles with them.
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
~Victor Hugo
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I get paperbacks pretty much "free" at the used book store in Kalispell....but I see the utility of a Kindle so....
Alright, alright, y'all talked me into it.
I ordered a Kindle last night. "Paper White" version. 8)

pete :wink:

PS
I bought 2 years worth of replacement protection since I can break anything.

George Carlin
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

kindles are kool

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”