Hking GPS

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

il2gnp
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Hking GPS

Post by il2gnp »

I would like to start tracking the elevation gain and loss of my hikes along with the miles. Does anyone have a hiking GPS that they like for this?

Thanks, Barb
(just became a hiker when I retired: loved Glacier, Yellowstone, and the Canadian Rockies in 2013, and Yellowstone in 2014, currently planning a trip Alaska in 2015)
Marmotman
Gender?: Male

Re: Hking GPS

Post by Marmotman »

I have the Garmen Oregon 400t. I got it about 4 years ago. Love it. The T stands for trails. It has preloaded topo maps with trails. I save all my tracks and download them into Google Earth to see where I've been. (I'm a Geek, I know) Also with Garmen BaseCamp free software you can see your profile including elevation changes and mileage. More than once the pre-loaded trails has saved my bacon in finding snow covered trails and/or getting me back home when the route disappears. (Always have a paper map backup just in case!) I can get about 2 shorter days of hiking (12 - 15 hours total) on one set of rechargeable batteries.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I believe you'll be better off with the Garmin eTrex 30.
I have one and it is a very fast and accurate GPS.
I believe it has much newer technology and software than the Oregon 400(but not certain about that.)
It will take you a while to set up the fields like you want...and like anything, it takes practice to become proficient.
But it'll do all you want and a lot more.
I know mine is a LOT smarter than I am...for now anyway. 8)
The free Basecamp software is a must have too ...imo.
And it does track elevation. I found that the milage and elevations correlate very well with paper map data
Two suggestions:
1. Buy a Garmin GPS
2. Don't go cheaper than the eTrex30. It's a good value if bought on Amazon...I rarely see it less anywhere else. You won't get the best of the GPS features on a cheaper model.

From the eTrex30 review link:
Barometric altimeter – This will give you more accurate elevation readings and allow you to see an elevation plot of your tracks

Here is a pretty good summary of features and reviews of the eTrex 30 and the Oregon 400(I'm not sure they make that model now)

eTrex30
http://gpstracklog.com/2011/10/garmin-e ... eview.html

Oregon 400
http://www.gpsreview.net/garmin-oregon-400t/

pete :wink:
Last edited by PeteE on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

The good news is any basic hiking GPS will track your miles and elevation gain.

If you've never had a GPS before I would second Pete's recommendation, Garmin units are generally the cat's meow and the model he recommends looks pretty solid.

I have one of the older Garmin GPSmap 60CSX models, which have been replaced by the 62 series and I'd recommend them as well.

Older garmin units wouldn't necessarily have high sensitivity antennae and would lose satellite signal in forested areas (anything with tree cover) although I think almost all new gps will have better signal strength. I'd get a hand held unit over a watch-type, although they don't have the 'I'm James Bond' coolness to them.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”