Trekking poles---worth the hassle?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

gypsyjack
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by gypsyjack »

Hockey Ref...I agree: I've always found that singing was an excellent way to scare away the wildlife! I once sang some opera arias on the way to Iceberg...never saw any bears. Or deer, or other mammals. Except for ground squirrels: which is my proof that they are tone deaf.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Hockey Ref »

I once sang some opera arias on the way to Iceberg...never saw any bears. Or deer, or other mammals.
What about humans? Did you scare those away, too? :D
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Thanks for all of the very helpful comments on poles.

How do you determine how far the poles should be extended? Is there any basic rule of thumb on this?

I assume most people who use poles use them for the entire hike. That is, they do not keep the poles collapsed in their pack during flat sections and bring them out and use them only on steeper sections.

I imagine that clapping your hands together to make noise is not much of an option when using poles!

Lyman
gypsyjack

Post by gypsyjack »

About the extension of poles: I'm no expert, but I've always heard that they should be set up so that when you grip the hand, your forearm is about horizontal, or perhaps slightly above that (which is my own preference).
About clapping hands: well, I guess holding the poles does hamper clapping, but it doesn't stop ya from singing!!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

gypsyjack wrote:About clapping hands: well, I guess holding the poles does hamper clapping, but it doesn't stop ya from singing!!
I am afraid that other hikers would pay me to discard the poles and go back to clapping. Perhaps I should bring a tape of me clapping and play it on the trail.

Lyman
ND

Post by ND »

This brings me back to the old question. Why is it us that have to worry about surprising bears? They're the ones with the heightened senses, right? I suggest that the bears do the clapping and wear the bells. :lol:
gypsyjack

Post by gypsyjack »

Oh ND, I think you've hit on it: we should put the bells on the bears! That way we'd be well forewarned. I nominate you to head that committee!
J2E

Post by J2E »

I just picked up 2 poles at Walmart for $9 a piece. Swiss Gear brand, and they're similiar to the ones I found at Dicks Sporting Goods for $19 each, but these didn't have the compass and were cork gripped rather than molded rubber. The shock absorption mechanism was much much stiffer and didn't seem like it'd have much affect at all. Otherwise they were identical.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Here is something that I have always wanted to ask. Does the use of trekking poles tend to chew up or damage trails by dislodging small rocks, etc.? Have there been an environmental assessment of their use? Do trail crews shudder at the sight of hikers with poles?

Thanks,
Lyman
gypsyjack

Post by gypsyjack »

Interesting question. I've never seen my poles make the slightest mark on the trail. I would bet that boots make a far bigger impact, particularly those with lugged soles. The back of my head made a slight impact on the trail coming back from Dawson Pass when I slipped over the side for a bit (bad knees). But overall I think the number of hikers at Glacier is so low relative to other National Parks that it's negligible...except perhaps is very sensitive areas (e.g. alpine meadows, and perhaps around popular waterfalls). I have noticed plenty of horse shoe prints on trails, but the regular horse trails are groomed for horse travel. Well, more or less.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

I would think that boot traffic would tend to pack down a trail whereas pole tips would have a tendency to dislodge small rocks and cause more loose rocks to be on the trail. I am thinking of places such as the upper portion (switchbacks) of the Siyeh Trail or the switchback section from Ptarmigan Lake to Ptarmigan tunnel. But that is just speculation on my part. I doubt this makes much of a difference on the trails in Glacier given their modest use.

Maybe a study of this would be an interesting project for a student majoring in recreation management, etc.!

Lyman
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

I'm quite certain that someone hiking downhill without trekking poles would dislodge more stones on average than someone using trekking poles. This is simply because the poles give you more control over foot placement and reduce the pressure with which you step.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Heff936 wrote:I'm quite certain that someone hiking downhill without trekking poles would dislodge more stones on average than someone using trekking poles. This is simply because the poles give you more control over foot placement and reduce the pressure with which you step.
Good point!

Lyman
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

One more comment. Trekking poles are not straight sticks. What makes them different is they have straps. When worn properly the force of the push on the pole is transferred to the arm. The hands do not grab the pole but guide them. Again when worn properly the poles can be grasped lightly by the thumb and first finger.

Also when not needed for a moment, like when taking pictures or whatever, the poles can dangle by the straps.

I'm always a bi-polar kind of guy these days.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Rose
Donator
Donator

Post by Rose »

I love this thread. Such a wealth of information from people who use the trekking poles. More questions....

If someone were interested in purchasing trekking poles for the first time would you recommend they try the Walmart $9 ones or put the $20 on a better pair?

If you were going to buy a better pair, what brand, what features is best and around what price range?

After reading the information here, had I taken my husbands offer of buying me trekking poles for our April Fools Day anniversary, I might have avoided the broken leg a few days later! :shock:
~Dreams Often Become Realities~

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”