Badgerhiker's 2018 Trip Report

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Badgerhiker's 2018 Trip Report

Post by tibber »

Don't know how I missed your report on Gunsight Trail... first what a long day you had that ended with a fright; glad it was just the moose.

It's nice that you ran into those people as I think hiking with others is usually a more enjoyable experience because of the sharing factor. I like your squirrel story too. You needed to have my friend Wendy with you to fend it away. I feel lucky as all of my trips to Glacier have not involved mosquito issues. I always hear how bad they can be but fortunately, I haven't experienced it. Good thing too as we don't have to deal much with mosquitoes here in Arizona; especially the Valley of the Sun.

I like the shot of Lake Ellen Wilson when you can see under the water. I love the colors of the rock around Wilson on that side coming down from Gunsight Pass.
Interesting photo looking toward Sperry with the burn and such.

Logan Pass... all of those sheep :arrow: OMG! how cool was that and you got some great photos. I always like a nice sun star in a photo too.

As to the San Juans in CO I've seen pictures of that area and it does look fabulous for sure. I always think I need to go to a different park in the summer other than Glacier but I love Glacier so much. I think I'd maybe like to see some of the Colorado action in the Fall as I love Fall color.

Anyway, thx for the report and pictures, it was a good read.
Jay w
Gender?: Male

Post by Jay w »

Yeah, I missed the update too. Man, the ram pictures are great. The silhouette is classic and the next one is great too. Good stories about the varmint and the moose too.

One thing about the San Juans is that the trail maintenance is not like Glacier. The trails I hiked were rough, so 5 mile hike to Iceberg is pretty easy, but a 5 mile in the San Juans are a gonad buster. There’s also more altitude, so account for that. It’s been a lot of years since we were there. We ended up heading to north of Silverton and really enjoyed a campground up there (10,000 ft).

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Badgerhiker

Post by Badgerhiker »

tibber wrote: As to the San Juans in CO I've seen pictures of that area and it does look fabulous for sure. I always think I need to go to a different park in the summer other than Glacier but I love Glacier so much. I think I'd maybe like to see some of the Colorado action in the Fall as I love Fall color.

Anyway, thx for the report and pictures, it was a good read.
Glacier will always be my favorite park but it's nice to see other areas too. Last year a friend and myself went to Yellowstone and the Tetons for the solar eclipse. We climbed Mt Leidy east of the Tetons and watched the most spectacular thing in my life. When the eclipse started the moon's shadow raced down the Tetons toward us and shrouded us in total darkness. I looked up and where the sun used to be was a black hole in the sky with bright white plasma ray's shooting off the edges. You could actually see stars in the sky and in every direction the horizon was glowing red like a sunrise/sunset. In two short minutes the temp dropped to the point where everyone was shivering. Suddenly the Tetons were lit up by sunlight and seconds later so were we. From our vantage point we could see the wall of darkness race away from us to the east. I can see why people travel the globe to experience this.
Jay w wrote: One thing about the San Juans is that the trail maintenance is not like Glacier. The trails I hiked were rough, so 5 mile hike to Iceberg is pretty easy, but a 5 mile in the San Juans are a gonad buster. There’s also more altitude, so account for that. It’s been a lot of years since we were there. We ended up heading to north of Silverton and really enjoyed a campground up there (10,000 ft).

Jay
My sister lived in Grand Junction Co for a few years so while visiting her we've driven through the San Juan's a few times. I've always wanted to go hiking there but finding info was a lot harder than the NP's. No Glacier Park Chat equivalent to ask questions on. 8) Your not kidding about the elevation. One day we drove from Grand Junction to Telluride and took the free Gondola up the mountain. At the top I got the bright idea to climb up the next ski slope. I got a bad headache and a nonstop cough. Neither one went away until we dropped back down in elevation. Looking back on it we climbed over 6 thousand feet in only 4 hours and I was suffering from the beginnings of altitude sickness. Not smart trying to hike up the slope after that. I will definitely need too take a couple days too acclimatize. The scenery was awesome though. The mountains had fresh snow on them and we hit the aspens in peak color. To bad the sun wasn't out for this picture.

Last edited by Badgerhiker on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

There are some really nice photos here! Thanks for posting your report.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
PJ

Post by PJ »

What a great trip you had! Thanks for posting the travelogue and all the pictures - it made my day reading it!
KyCindy
Gender?: Female

Post by KyCindy »

Great report. The pictures at Logan Pass were cool especially the sillouette. I liked the one at Prince of Wales hotel with the explanation of how you did it.
Thanks
Cindy

Return to “Trip Reports”