A bartender's guide to Glacier

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: A bartender's guide to Glacier

Post by PeteE »

Nice B&W's at Two Medicine.
"Anger" is what comes to mind when considering the weather that day.

I'm 99 and 44/100's % sure that's a great blue heron, a pretty common but truly awesome bird.
https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+he ... irefox-b-1

During Virginia's bow season I spent a lot of time at the Hog Island Wildlife Refuge, adjacent to the Surrey Nuclear Power Plant.

I loved watching them from my tree stand forage for fish, lizards, crayfish, frogs, little snakes, crabs, pretty much anything that moved is on their menu.
Blue herons step ever so slowly along the waterline stalking their prey--and strike with truly astonishing speed when they spot something in range.
The herons had a roost on the refuge as well. The "din" of all that guttural calling of a hundred or more herons was incredible!

Sorry to go on about blue herons but I loved the hours I sat watching them 8)

pete 8)
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I think you're right Peter. Here's a better crop in color.

Maybe that will shave off another 3 or 4/100ths.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Yeah, nothing else that big that it could be except maybe a sandhill crane.
Sandhill cranes fly with outstretched necks.
Herons fly with crooked necks as in your image.

pete :wink:

PS
One day I was flounder fishing on the Eastern Shore of Va.
I watched a great blue heron catch several small blue crabs swallowing them whole...sorta.
After catching the crab, the heron shook the crab violently, legs and claws flying off the crab's body.
The heron then tossed the body up in the air catching it such that it went down "point first". Dunno if left or right side of crab though 8)
Same with small snakes. They'll shake the daylights out of a snake and then glomp it down head first.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Badgerhiker

Post by Badgerhiker »

I just finished your trip report. I was late finishing it because I was camping and hiking in N Arizona and S Utah. Just got back late last week. Once again, your B&W Pics are stunning. The details just jump out of the picture at you. Lee Ridge is such a nice quiet hike. Years ago I wanted to do the loop like you did but my arch started hurting and I wimped out and did an out and back. Only saw one other person all day and a moose. :D Thanks for taking the time to put your report together, I know it's a lot of work. P.S. As a photographer you would love the desert southwest, so much color and unique rock formations. Plus they have a lot of dead trees! :wink:
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Badgerman,

Thanks for the very generous comments. Good on ya for hitting the Southwest. I haven't spent much time there, but we did a trip to Western CO (Pagosa Springs, Telluride, Silverton area), another couple to Moab, and I was able to spend a few days at the south rim. Great area but you have to have good timing or a high tolerance to heat. There are still a bunch of famous areas I've never seen, but all the hidden gems.

Since you asked :D here's another photo. Last one on the way out of Dodge.

The main peak probably has a name...and the one on the left probably does too.

Jay
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

The main peak probably has a name...and the one on the left probably does too.
Nice picture! I've seen a bunch of pictures (and taken a few) from about there and I never get tired of that view. Of course you are right about the names... just right of center is Sinopah and on the left is Painted Tepee. From Two Medicine Pass there is a short easy saddle leading to where the smoke hole would be.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by tibber »

Jay w wrote:Tibber, high praise, thank you. I'll have to try adding some club soda to a white Russian. I have been adding a splash of Gran Marnier or Contreau to some drinks and it adds an interesting after taste. So, I've been having fun just "winging it."

So what are the three vials of elixar? It looks like a clear (blanco) tequila, a barrel aged (anejo) and a blood mary type of mix.

Jay
There are many recipes of course. Wendy said this 3-banger wasn't the way she's normally had it. So I did a little Rx - From wikipedia: "Authentic sangrita from the Lake Chapala region of Jalisco is made with Seville orange, lime and pomegranate juices, with chili powder or hot sauce added for heat. However, most modern sangrita recipes (particularly outside of Jalisco) have mistakenly attributed the red appearance of the drink to tomato juice instead of the chile powder. While some would argue that there is no set rule on what sangrita should contain, as the main ingredient, it is commonly considered by older residents of Jalisco that tomato and particularly branded recipes such as the "Clamato" mix stem from uninformed efforts to recreate the drink due to its growing popularity. It can feature a blend of orange, lime, tomato and/or pomegranate juices, or pomegranate-based grenadine with the addition of something spicy (hot sauce or fresh/dried chile), and sometimes white onion and salt."

And since I was on the topic I read further: "unlike that bracing blast of pure lime and salt, sangrita is intended to complement the tequila, not just erase it. More than a heavy-handed way of making the spirit go down easier, sangrita enhances a quality sipping tequila—usually a silver (un-aged) one, though some folks serve it with gently aged reposados as well. The idea is to take a nip of one, then the other, back and forth, without shooting it all down at once.
The hallmark of successful sangrita, no matter the exact recipe, is that it balances the potency of the tequila. That means a good dose of acidity (hence sour oranges in those earlier incarnations) and enough sweetness to keep that acidity in check, all while delivering flavors that pair well with the tequila itself. As for the spicy chili? Instead of intensifying the tequila burn in an unpleasant way, it manages to act as a bridge between the strong alcohol and fruity chaser."

My friend prefers sticking with the non-tomato base. Here is an article, where the further reading came from, that gives you some recipe options https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/04/how ... quila.html

Anyway, I liked the picture of the heron, a rare sighting in the Park I think. I liked the cropped photo.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Orin, thanks and thanks for the info. I was up on that pass once, and I swear the wind was gusting to 65 mph. Hard to stand up.

Tibber, wow, that's a thesis you wrote up there. I guess I see the idea of enhancing the tequila taste since I often sip a shot with a beer, but I find that I tend to sip on the tequila until it's gone and then drink the beer. Good tequila (that I've had anyway) seems to not have much taste and I can understand how people get into high end tequila. High end scotch, not so much.

Sorry for the slow reply.

Jay
KyCindy
Gender?: Female

Post by KyCindy »

Hi Jay
I enjoyed your trip report. Good mixture of stories, hikes, photos and photo tips. I loved the people watching stories. The cocktails are a nice addition to your tale. I like the play on a hitchikers guide to the galaxy. It was very entertaining report. We had a 10 day trip in July 2017 and are returning in July 2019 for 2 weeks. Cracker Lake is one of the hikes we didn’t do that is on our wishlist for next summer. I’m hooked on Glacier and like hearing about others adventures in the park. The lady walking back with no shoes. Ouch!
Thanks
Cindy
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Cindy, thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed the report. I haven't read the Hitchhikers guide. That's one of those classics along with Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance that I haven't read. Of course you could name virtually any book and I haven't read it.

It's a bit chilly here so I was slow getting out for a walk this morning. I was thinking there was still open water so I could get some steamy photos, but at 10F (and windy), it's now frozen over. In fact a guy was out skating and the lake was making a lot of cracking noise. He stuck to a little bay--shallow and a little thicker ice. (The bay is on the opposite side of the peninsula in the photo.)

Jay
Badgerhiker

Post by Badgerhiker »

Jay w wrote:Badgerman,

Thanks for the very generous comments. Good on ya for hitting the Southwest. I haven't spent much time there, but we did a trip to Western CO (Pagosa Springs, Telluride, Silverton area), another couple to Moab, and I was able to spend a few days at the south rim. Great area but you have to have good timing or a high tolerance to heat. There are still a bunch of famous areas I've never seen, but all the hidden gems.
Jay
Another great B&W Jay. The weather was great on my desert southwest trip with highs around 55 to 65. The key is to go end of October, early November. Your B&W's really got me interested in that style of photography. I converted more of my pics to B&W than I normally would have and am pretty happy with it. So this one's for you Jay.

Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Hey Badger, great shot. What a crazy rock formation. Sounds like you had a good trip and weather. Thanks for sharing.

About all I have to share (and I know I'm getting off topic) is that a house blew up in St. Paul. It's actually pretty close to where I work, so we went down there and had a look around. https://patch.com/minnesota/saintpaul/v ... -explosion

Then we walked around a nearby area called Swede Hollow which has a railroad tunnel that's on the historic list.

Nearby is the abandoned Hamm's Brewery, which I'd like to get inside and spend days shooting. Here's one from just inside the fence line around the building.

Finally, we had a beer inside (one building has a brewery, another has a distillery, but a number of buildings are empty). Ok, that puts us back on topic, right?

Jay

Return to “Trip Reports”