Many Glacier June 16-26 2018---RAIN and WIND!

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Many Glacier June 16-26 2018---RAIN and WIND!

Post by PeteE »

Just came back from 5 nights at Many Glacier.
This won't be a long report since it rained from Friday night about 10PM until Tuesday around noon.
So not much hiking done and not many pics. Still had a GOOD time as JayW and his wife arrived Sunday 8)
What a hoot and fun those two are!! :mrgreen:

Jay and I did get two hikes in: Red Rock Falls during a short lull in the rain Sunday.
Did Iceberg Lake on Tuesday after the rain pretty much stopped around noon.
Weather wasn't too bad, just cloudy and overcast, threatening to rain on us any moment at times.
We lucked out. Never did put on rain gear. :D
We got to the "beach" crossing the outlet creek on a snow bridge that won't be around long....gettin' thin.
Pics on that later.

Crappy weather for me until this morning. I'm leaving so of course it was a spectacular, crispy clear, cold morning!! :evil:
Good weather for Jay and JuJu to hike.
We were just really getting SICK of the constant rain.

Here's a moose bull clip.
If people would just be patient and let these animals just "do their thing" they'll usually getting bett opportunities to see/photograph them.
There were two cars in front of me that kept moving forward and not allowing the bull to cross.
Traffic the other way spooked the moose as well. So he kept running back and forth.
He clearly wanted to cross the road and go to Lake Mary below.
So I stopped blocking traffic behind me, hoping nothing came the other way so he could cross the road...and it worked...this time 8)

About a minute or so
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ctN ... q-1920.mp4

Here is a 3 pane pano looking back into Many Glacier this morning.
If cut off, go here

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-3q5 ... fDC-XL.jpg

I'll be back

Looking down at Iceberg Lake from the area where I left my GPS.
Didn't find it. I blame the marmot who was living under the rock where I thought I left it!
You can see other visitors far below heading towards the lake
8)

[bI was above and to the right of Jay in the pic above. Look just left of the red dot. That's Jay setting up tripod for some images.
[/b]

Always somebody swimming! 8) There was another guy to the right in the trees. That melt pond is COLD!
Last edited by PeteE on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Many Glacier June 16-20 2018---RAIN!

Post by tibber »

Thx for update Pete. As always, enjoyed your report. I presume the rain will melt some of the snow?

That rain is apparently widespread. I've seen the report on Augusta and now they're issuing flood warnings around Great Falls too.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

tibber wrote:Thx for update Pete. As always, enjoyed your report. I presume the rain will melt some of the snow?

That rain is apparently widespread. I've seen the report on Augusta and now they're issuing flood warnings around Great Falls too.
Thanks Tibber :)

Yeah, the rain did melt a lot of snow.
I'm now of the opinion that trails will be clear at around the "normal" dates...whatever "normal" means! LOLOL

I'm not surprised about the flood warnings.
I've not seen it rain that hard and that long in a good while...if ever in my 16 years here ! :)
That "cut off low" just DUMPED rain in Many Glacier for 3 days solid.

I'll have more pics and a few tidbits of information later today/tonight.
Gotta go to work and get ready to go back tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again.

pete :wink:

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Here's a few more snaps I made with my lil Sony P&S.
I didn't want to dunk "Big Daddy Sony"--again-- falling crossing a creek or something 8)
Soooo...I'm just posting these to show some of what the Iceberg trail is like.
Jay was taking the really good images while I yakked with him and anyone else who got near :)

Took this from up where I lost my GPS the week before. The "melt pond" is lower left. Hikers have made a trail around it to where they/we crossed the outlet creek. Upper left is the long bare scree slope coming down off the "shoulder" of Mt Wilbur. The ShrangriLa hike, one of my all time faves brings you down to the lake from that shoulder.Ignore the raindrop on my lens :evil:

I walked straight down the scree to where this little stream was entering the melt pond. Jay was busy taking pictures up above.

I did an about face to take this shot looking over the melt pond towards Crowfeet, Henkel, and Atlyn. Looked like more weather coming in from the NE, but thankfully it never developed.

A right face now gives this look along the ledge wall of the melt pond

Another 1/4 turn to the right and back to the little stream falling into the melt pond.

Crossing "snow bridge" can be tricky at times. It's not always easy to know just how stable the snow over the creek is at any given point.
The Green line indicates the two open places where the creek is exposed. So you have to cross someplace in that area....the Blue line showing the path most were taking. The Red line indicate a "distinct depression" where the snow/ice has "sagged" from water under cutting it. Best to stay clear of features like that except where you cross, and then be careful lest you step through a weak spot.

After crossing the creek, I headed over to the "beach" where most people congregate to have lunch, maybe take a swim :shock:
There was a family over there when got to the beach. Look left of red dot(made that dot way to big :( ). They're right by the creek that comes in down there.

Doing a 180 and looking up at Iceberg Notch and left of it in the clouds is Iceberg Peak. I have 3 nights at Granite Park Chalet in early September. I plan to climb up to Iceberg Notch...from the other side 8) via Northern Highline trail and Ahern Pass

Later on when all these little water features dry up, the rock formations along this part of Iceberg Lake trail will look relatively dull and rather "unremarkable"...imo 8)
However this time of the year, wet with the mini waterfalls, they really are beautiful and photograph well, especially for a good photographer like JayW

Grinnell Point from the Swiftcurrent Motel parking lot on Wednesday morning. Crystal clear chilly morning. Bummer that I had to drive back to work :(

Same time Mt Wilbur. Had to be a great hiking day.

Driving out. The confluence of Boulder Creek on the left and Swiftcurrent Creek on the right. Beautiful a week ago. 4 days of rain turned it ugly, and dangerous.
Not a place to let kids play near.

Tis all for the moment.
Headed back to Many Glacier tomorrow as soon as I can get away from work.
Dunno what the plan will be for the weekend.

George Carlin
mtrot

Post by mtrot »

Thanks, Pete, for the great report and pics!
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

mtrot wrote:Thanks, Pete, for the great report and pics!
I just returned from the 2nd half of my time at Many Glacier camping 9 of last 13 days there for this report.

Lot more fun this time over in spite of some less than ideal weather. :)
I have some good "lame video" of "Alice" the Many Glacier CG moose cow and her calf.
Alice and her baby(~6 weeks old) hung out right behind our neighbors campsite for about an hour on Sunday AM. :D
It'll take me days to catch up posting here. Got work to do :(

People are seeing lots of animals around the Swiftcurrent/Many Glacier area.
Many moose and grizzly bear sightings on trails around the area , in the CG as well as a griz in the Swiftcurrent parking lot by the store. :shock:
So...take care when you get here.
I'll try to get a few things posted later tonight.

George Carlin
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

Great moose clip. “There was this great big moose. He like to drink a lot of juice.” (Water, in this case.)

You were right that the poor guy just wanted to get across the road.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Here's a couple snaps from our hike to Apikuni Falls and the valley above the falls on Monday June 25.
Nice day except for the wind which was blowing 30-40mph :shock:
Wind is pretty common at Many Glacier but it was just blowing too hard to do what we wanted to do--climb the ridge east of the falls.
We'd have gotten literally "blown away" going up there.
There were times when I was nearly blown off my feet!

Got a busy few days of work coming up and a doc's appointment today.
I'll work on video of "Alice" the moose and her baby next. I think folks will enjoy that.
:)

Here's a few snaps with more later.

This was early in the morning. Alice laid down with her calf behind our neighbors tent. She hung around for nearly an hour that morning. She and her baby got up after "chewing" a while to browse on the trees and bushes around the campsite. It's difficult to appreciate the size of moose until you see them standing next to a familiar object like a picnic table. Alice is a BIG mature cow as you see in later pics and video.

The wind was blowing hard enough to send water 50ft in the air above the top of the falls. Here you can see the "mist" from the wind blown falls.

The geezer in the valley above Apikuni Falls with Apikuni Mt in the background. I'm glad I wore my shirt with a hood! The wind was fierce up there.

Gotta have a boot shot. The falls was to my right. The rock was hard and sharp to sit on and the geezer doesn't have a lot of "padding" to sit on!

Lots of Pasque flowers blooming above the falls

Lots of "dead trees" for Jay and I to photograph up there.

More when I get a chance.

George Carlin
flippography

Post by flippography »

Wow. Absolutely fantastic, thanks for the report PeteE. Looking forward to more snaps!
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Here is the video I took of Alice and her calf in the Many Glacier CG on the 24th.
I didn't do much editing to the clips.
She was in the trees and it was hard to keep the camera in focus as it would sometimes focus on a tree limb or nearby brush.

Runs 11:41 minutes

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-h76 ... Z-1920.mp4

George Carlin
PeteE

Re: Many Glacier June 16-26 2018---RAIN and WIND!

Post by PeteE »

The sky was kind of gloomy Saturday morning the 23rd but at least it wasn't raining.
So off we went to Jackson Overlook to hike to Florence Falls, one of GNP's best imo.
No doubt in my mind that after all the rain in the past week that Florence Falls would be roaring---and it was.
Unfortunately, when we arrived the wind was blowing hard and creating a "mist" that was making photography extremely difficult.
Hard to hold camera steady and impossible to keep water off the lens.
We stayed just long enough for a few pics and headed back.

Here are a few "snaps" I made. JayW will have some nice images 8)

Jay setting up for one of his shots at Deadwood Fall. Deadwood Falls is about a mile from Jackson Overlook

Drowning is the leading cause of death in GNP. Lots of wet rock so extreme care is required if you mess around these falls.

This little bird isn't afraid of the roiling, thundering creek--an American Dipper--a unique bird in North America.
A chunky bird of western streams, the American Dipper is North America's only truly aquatic songbird.
It catches all of its food underwater in swiftly flowing streams by swimming and walking on the stream bottom.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ame ... r/overview
I love watching these amazing little birds brave the creeks of GNP

Jay approaching the suspension bridge over Reynolds Creek near the REY campground.
I have a "rule" when folks hike with me:
ONE person on the bridge at a time. Period.
No exceptions unless it's assisting children or someone who needs help crossing.
It's easy to get these suspension bridges "bouncing". Getting bounced off the bridge during high water won't end well.
So DO NOT let your hiking companions or children "grab ass" on these bridges.

View along the Gunsight Lake trail

St Mary River. Glacial till gives the water that distinctive aquamarine color

Extreme care is also required crossing these narrow, one rail log bridges as well. Wet logs can be slippery. No "grab assing" here either.
Crossing one at a time is best here too.
I have a video clip showing how swiftly the water was flowing underneath this one.
Though not deep, the fast water would carry you down stream to who knows where.

Jay getting a shot at Florence Falls. Too bad the gorge was full of mist from the swirling, gusty wind :(

Lower part of Florence Falls. There is more that's out of sight above what's visible here.

I tripped and fell not long before this selfie. Nothing hurt except my "dignity". The whole area near the falls was sopping wet and slippery.

Next up are a few snaps from Red Rock Falls.
Later 8)

George Carlin
indiana hiker

Post by indiana hiker »

Pete, Is the trail to Florence still pretty overgrown, as it was a few years ago?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

indiana hiker wrote:Pete, Is the trail to Florence still pretty overgrown, as it was a few years ago?
No, the trail was not overgrown which was a bit of a surprise, but...
All this rain in the past week or two combined with the long days could change that.
Plants like thimbleberry and cow parsnip, etc. will grow like mad in the current climate.

Both the Gunsight trail and the Florence trail were wet and muddy. Numerous little streams to hop/rock hop.
Most of those were seasonal and will dry up when the rains slack off in July.
I wore rain pants and stayed dry.

I fell the first time tripping on a root--hooked it with my toe when I didn't pick up my right size 14 quite far enough :(
Second time was at Florence Falls on that last 50ft that is real steep and was slick "mud".
Didn't hurt anything except my dignity 8)
The geezer has learned "how to fall" and subsequently "giddy up" over the years! :)

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Here are a few "snaps" from Red Rock Falls.
And to be clear, they are "snapshots" taken with my little Sony H10 point and shoot camera.
I'm a bit reluctant, for now, especially in crappy weather to carry my A77II.
When I figure out the best way for me to carry my A77 with accessories--securely, I'll use it a lot more.
Work on getting some actual "images".
But for now it's "snaps" 8)

pete
:wink:

This turned out to be a kind of fun pic. this was the first shot I made after scrambling up the rocks to the top of the falls.
When I got home and looked at it...it looked like a "reflection" [to me] at first. The extension of the rock ridge I was standing on, combined with the creek making a left turn and dropping off at the same time.

Red Rock falls is a super place for photographers.
One could easily spend all day here. Scramble around in the rocks for different looks and different lighting.
If you do get up in the rocks, take care. Falling into the falls here would be fatal 99%+ of the time
And no soft landing if you fall on that red argillite 8) The thin layers in the argillite are very hard, and sharp.

Yeah, please be careful around waterfalls--beautiful, but deadly. Falling into that thundering maelstrom would end badly.

Looking down as the falls transitions to the creek, I liked the contrast of the green trees against the red rock...with someones "blue" jacket top center frame.

Looking up steam at Mt Wilbur, one of GNP's iconic peaks...imo 8)

Same foot position as pic of Mt Wilbur above--just made a careful left face on the rock edge. The velocity of the water racing through this narrow channel in the rock was incredible.

Moving upstream a little bit gives different view. Swiftcurrent Mt in the background.

I love flowers even if I can't remember their names.

Had to have my "boot shot" even though it meant sitting on that sharp rock! 8)

George Carlin
indiana hiker

Post by indiana hiker »

Pete, from the look of those pictures, you don't need to worry about using your "better" camera. Those are beautiful, and thanks for always sharing your pictures and experiences.

Return to “Trip Reports”