Videos from the Sue Lake Bench

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Videos from the Sue Lake Bench

Post by paul »

Hi Folks,

I had a fantastic trip this year and one of the highlights was exploring the Sue lake area. Here are some videos I made during my visit there. I hope you enjoy it. PS: sorry for the quick panning I'm still learning video taking technique.

I think I say in the video that I'll never climb up there again. Well, I'm now rested and I know I will definitely revisit this place.
https://youtu.be/JQ94K5wveMo

Here's from above Lake Margarete
https://youtu.be/2PMaLuskSzU

More of the same.
https://youtu.be/9wIKxuZqvfE

It reminds me of a movie ... The Sound of Music
https://youtu.be/PL4jfeK1yWw

One final look around
https://youtu.be/S23ziq7mgxU
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Videos from the Sue Lake Bench

Post by joybird »

Thanks for posting those, Paul! What fabulous views. :arrow:

I'm totally jealous that you got up there, and that the weather and smoke situation was so good. Can I tag along with you next time? I eyed that route when I went up to Stony Indian Pass in 2014, but I didn't have the guts to try it solo.

And, man o man, Margaret is amazing, isn't she? I was blown away when I hiked up to her that year, and in some ways she is even more spectacular when you can see her in her entirety from above like that; how surreal that blue is! I never dreamed I'd ever get to see that view, so thank you for sharing it with us. :D

It was also really cool to be able to get such a good view of the notch which I assume is where that climber must have dropped down to Margaret from the other side when his partner fell as they were climbing the Lithoid Cusp. (http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.co ... oid#p94884) Everytime I see that ridgeline I think of that incredible effort he made, but we rarely get to see it from this Margaret/Sue side. Thanks for giving that different perspective.

BTW, the Sound of Music link didn't work for me...? Can you please check it and repost?
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

joybird wrote:Thanks for posting those, Paul! What fabulous views. :arrow:

I'm totally jealous that you got up there, and that the weather and smoke situation was so good. Can I tag along with you next time? I eyed that route when I went up to Stony Indian Pass in 2014, but I didn't have the guts to try it solo.

And, man o man, Margaret is amazing, isn't she? I was blown away when I hiked up to her that year, and in some ways she is even more spectacular when you can see her in her entirety from above like that; how surreal that blue is! I never dreamed I'd ever get to see that view, so thank you for sharing it with us. :D

It was also really cool to be able to get such a good view of the notch which I assume is where that climber must have dropped down to Margaret from the other side when his partner fell as they were climbing the Lithoid Cusp. (http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.co ... oid#p94884) Everytime I see that ridgeline I think of that incredible effort he made, but we rarely get to see it from this Margaret/Sue side. Thanks for giving that different perspective.

BTW, the Sound of Music link didn't work for me...? Can you please check it and repost?
Thanks Joyce,

You sure can tag along next time I do it. I always feel a little angst when I'm by myself off-trail because a simple tumble could leave me with a broken ankle and no way to rescue myself.

Anyway, Margaret is an amazing lake, I love that color and seeing it from above is pretty special. Also found the whole area up there is very unique.

I think you're right about that notch being the one used by the climber to drop down to Margaret. I've see that from the lake as well.

Thanks for the tip on the link I'll check on it.

Paul
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

AWESOME views in those videos Paul!!

Must have been incredible up there. As we descended from Stoney Indian Pass, we looked across that valley and up toward Sue longingly, wondering what it must be like up there. Thanks for sharing!!

That Margaret is a Real Beauty. So glad to have seen her again this year. Must have been a treat to see her from above Paul!

Remarkable rescue story regarding that Notch Joybird. Had not heard about that before but 'way to go' David Steele and Two Bear Air.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

TnTammy wrote:AWESOME views in those videos Paul!!

Must have been incredible up there. As we descended from Stoney Indian Pass, we looked across that valley and up toward Sue longingly, wondering what it must be like up there. Thanks for sharing!!

That Margaret is a Real Beauty. So glad to have seen her again this year. Must have been a treat to see her from above Paul!

Remarkable rescue story regarding that Notch Joybird. Had not heard about that before but 'way to go' David Steele and Two Bear Air.
Thanks Tammy, it sure was a great day!
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Thanks for posting these videos, Paul! You’ve really piqued my interest in exploring this area. I’m hoping to do a lollygag in the Mokowanis Drainage in July, exploring side trails like Bear Mountain and Margaret Lake. I may consider this side trip as well.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

teapot57 wrote:Thanks for posting these videos, Paul! You’ve really piqued my interest in exploring this area. I’m hoping to do a lollygag in the Mokowanis Drainage in July, exploring side trails like Bear Mountain and Margaret Lake. I may consider this side trip as well.
Thanks Teapot. The best way to explore the area is to get a couple of nights at MOL or a near by camp like GLH/MOJ. That way you'll have enough time to check out the side trips. The Sue lake bench takes a full day since getting there involves hiking 2/3 the way up to Stoney Indian pass.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

I’m thinking of trying for something like COS GLH GLH ELF. I would do it with a daypack on the day between GLH stays. These are my thoughts for now, but March is a long way off so it could change! I’ve done most of the dayhikes I want to do, so I would like to see more of the backcountry next summer.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

GLF is okay but it's not as nice as COS. If it were me, I would do COS, GLH, GLH, COS. Also this would make it easier for you to do Bear Mountain lookout as a day hike once you get to COS for the last camp.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Paul,

Did you happen to keep track of your elevation gain up to the Sue Lake Bench?

Thanks,
Tina
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

teapot57 wrote:Paul,

Did you happen to keep track of your elevation gain up to the Sue Lake Bench?

Thanks,
Tina
Sorry Tina, I did not track elevation on my trip. I'd say it's probably somewhere between 1500 to 2000 ft.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

No worries! Your estimate is good enough for me. Thank you!
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Post by McKee80 »

Thanks for the videos. That looks amazing. In fact, it just made my list for this summer (assuming permits, etc.). Would it be do-able as a side trip on the way from MOL to STO? I guess you have to carry your pack, since there is nowhere to hang it. Looks like a little less than a mile of steep uphill?
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

McKee80 wrote:Thanks for the videos. That looks amazing. In fact, it just made my list for this summer (assuming permits, etc.). Would it be do-able as a side trip on the way from MOL to STO? I guess you have to carry your pack, since there is nowhere to hang it. Looks like a little less than a mile of steep uphill?
You would have to carry your pack up the steep rough ramp (and of course back down again). It's not a trail and it has boulders and loose rock to deal with. I think it's doable but it will test your abilities. Also be careful coming down. It is very steep in places and it would be easy to turn or break an ankle. That would be not be good if you are alone. Definitely use treking poles.

Return to “Trip Reports”