Do I have any "last minute" options modifying permit?

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Gent43062
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Do I have any "last minute" options modifying permit?

Post by Gent43062 »

First off... I'm thrilled! I'm headed to the backcountry with wife/daughters to COS/MOJ/ELF/HEL/GAB starting 7/16. What's really a luxury is that I'm in Ohio and can plan around this the known dates.. Versus the alternative of getting a "walk in" permit that doesn't allow the planning. Although I'm really happy with having an itinerary locked in, I have to personally say that I'm always looking to improve. If STO, FIF, GRN, MAN happened to open up when I arrive St. Mary on 7/15, is there anything I could do to do the loop? If I walk into the ranger station requesting to trade ELF/HEL/GAB for STO/FIF/GRN/MAN, would they do it? I feel like I'm being greedy/selfish but I know I love hiking the high ridges, and have researched how beautiful STO --> MAN must be. Besides this, we'd prefer our hike be a loop for obvious reasons. Any thoughts on what options I might have if sites would happen to be open starting 7/18? Seems all NP's have different rules.
Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts--Happy trails!
PeteE

Re: Do I have any "last minute" options modifying permit?

Post by PeteE »

Gent43062 wrote:First off... I'm thrilled!
Hehehehe....got the Glacier Bug didn't you? 8)

I'm headed to the backcountry with wife/daughters to COS/MOJ/ELF/HEL/GAB starting 7/16.
Well done, you can "work" with that.

What's really a luxury is that I'm in Ohio and can plan around this the known dates.. Versus the alternative of getting a "walk in" permit that doesn't allow the planning.
That's true, you have a reservation and so some certainty for planning.

Although I'm really happy with having an itinerary locked in, I have to personally say that I'm always looking to improve. If STO, FIF, GRN, MAN happened to open up when I arrive St. Mary on 7/15, is there anything I could do to do the loop?
In theory you could do that if all those sites were available on the right dates, etc(HIGHLY unlikely imo).
However, they would likely just write a new permit using what they could from your current permit, BUT...

I believe as a practical matter you should forget that.
It's highly unlikely that the passes will be passable due to a big snow year. And I'm pretty certain that the Ahern drift between FIF and GRN will not be passable that early for average hikers, and even many experienced hikers. (Ahern would probably require crampons and an ice ax for safe crossing)
The switchbacks coming down to Many Glacier from Swiftcurrent pass might still be blocked too.
It's possible that all these places will be snow free in mid/late July this year, but I doubt it.
That's my own opinion anyway. 8)
So I wouldn't count on doing that route.

If I walk into the ranger station requesting to trade ELF/HEL/GAB for STO/FIF/GRN/MAN, would they do it?
I seriously doubt it.

I feel like I'm being greedy/selfish but I know I love hiking the high ridges, and have researched how beautiful STO --> MAN must be. Besides this, we'd prefer our hike be a loop for obvious reasons.
I don't blame you for wanting to do a loop like that!! :)

Any thoughts on what options I might have if sites would happen to be open starting 7/18?
I do have some ideas for you as I'm sure others will. Be right back with them.

Seems all NP's have different rules.
Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts--Happy trails!
You're welcome. You have a great trip ahead of you!

pete :wink:

I would recommend that you become intimately familiar with this page and how to use it to modify your permit.
This page lists all the campsites, their current status, and most important--availability six nights out.
They post this both on-line and on each BC door around 4:30-5PM each afternoon. No permits are issued after posting until
7AM the following morning.
Everyone then has time to peruse the posting to see which campsites will have a space(s) available the following morning.
So start watching this page beginning around June1st so see how it works. Imagine you were walking in that morning to do a modification, or a walk-in.
It's not hard to see how it works.
https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/ ... status.cfm

This page is a must read as well, especially the foot notes and "fine print".
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/ ... ap-Web.pdf

Soooooo....

You now have
In at Chief Mountain
COS-->MOJ-->ELF-->HEL-->GAB--> Chief Mountain

COS-->MOL-->ELF-->HEL-->GAB-->out
would be good since MOL is a much nicer campsite--smaller and no horses allowed.

If you can add a day, this itinerary would allow a day to explore up the trail towards Stoney Indian Pass.
And/or if you are comfortable with some basic route finding and bushwhacking, hiking up to Margaret Lake.
There is a beautiful waterfall below Margaret Lake as well. More on that if want to know.
So maybe:
COS-->MOL-->(GLH or MOJ)-->ELF-->HEL-->GAB-->out
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
TnTammy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by TnTammy »

Congrats Gent!
You’re headed into some gorgeous territory this summer. We took some extra time to enjoy this area last summer so I wholeheartedly concur with Pete’s suggestions. MOL is a beautiful camp and a night there makes for enough time to go up to Margaret with it’s unreal turquoise waters. Agree also that if you could add a night in that vicinity, it would allow you to go up to or near Stoney Indian Pass with spectacular scenery and waterfalls. If you get the chance to add Glenn’s Head as your campsite, you’ll be rewarded with one the the most photogenic spots we’ve seen in the park, that of Pyramid Peak (hopefully) mirrored in Glenn’s Lake. Also nice to have some time at Cosley and Glenn’s in the afternoon for a swim as both have shallow shelves into waters that have been warmed through the day...heavenly!
ELF and Helen won’t disappoint either. Do check out Dawn Mist Falls on your way over. ELF has the most colorful rounded stones, irresistible for skipping although there have been waves both times we’ve visited. Helen is just beautiful and we will
Surely return there to try to see it in good weather.
Wishing you a grand time and hope you might share a trip report,
Tam
Gent43062

Post by Gent43062 »

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely keep track of the site availability. In my initial research prior to requesting permit, I recall reading that MOL had several advantages over MOJ... Unfortunately, or fortunately, I selected "Substitute different campgrounds along the same route" and they substituted MOJ for my 2nd night--this was the minor change to my first choice itinerary. No way I'll know the outcome had I not selected to be flexible, so I'm not looking back!

I really like the suggestions for side trips--I looked into Margaret Lake on maps and it looks promising--especially if I could leave/stash a full pack at camp (ideally, MOL)... Of course, "The Loop" was the goal, but Mother Nature decided to open it for business a little later this year--I've got the bug, and will be back for this! I like the option of a side trip up to Stoney as far as surface/weather allows though. Promising options.

Also, although we all like to swim, I really thought this would be iffy in July--and it very well may be considering the run off to be expected. But the Cosley/Glenn's site suggestions with their shallow shelves is something I wasn't aware of. We'd love to take a dip--not too many things better for the soul than a dip in a backcountry lake! I didn't have Dawn Mist falls on my list, so I'll look into that too.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide suggestions--really helpful. And it definitely adds to the anxiousness! Take care!

Return to “Backcountry Permits”