2018 Backcountry Permit Buzz

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

2018 Backcountry Permit Buzz

Post by teapot57 »

Today’s the day to finalize your backcountry permit application and submit your offering to the backcountry gods.

Good luck to everyone submitting permit applications tomorrow morning!

If you have any last minute questions, ask away. And share your success with us, but remember not to publicly post your actual permit number.

:arrow:
McKee80
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: 2018 Backcountry Permit Buzz

Post by McKee80 »

Its been strangely quiet the last week. This is my first year requesting a trip. I do have a quick question:

Is it possible to cache food at Goat Haunt? I haven't been able to find any information on this. I'd be passing by there halfway through an eight night trip and it would be nice to save the weight (and space).

Thanks,
Sean
Syrio

Post by Syrio »

Do you have to wait until 8 am mountain time to open your app and click through to submit or can you be on the final page of your permit and click submit at 8 AM?
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Post by McKee80 »

I was planning on being on the final page, but I read some posts from last year that said you are locked out of your form until it opens. So you have to wait for each page to load on your way to the payment screen. I guess we'll see. Also, you can pre-load your payment info on the site, so you won't have to do it at submit time. I'm curious as to how slow that site is going to be when the time hits.
Syrio

Post by Syrio »

I do know that you can't have two separate permit applications open at the same time. It'll kick you out of both. So if you're planning on submitting for two separate trips, do the one you want most first.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

after a gazillion revisions, hopefully I'm ready to go. My main computer at home broke last nite though so I have to use my lap top which is not that comfortable to work with so I may drive to work 45 minutes early so I can be ready to SUBMIT (7AM for me). So with any luck, Belly River, here I come :arrow: .

PS Tina, thx!
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

:arrow: :arrow: Good Luck to ALL Y'ALL tomorrow!! :arrow: :arrow:
Selfishly i'm submitting offerings to the backcountry gods for many of you b/c you share such great pics and video. (Tibber, hoping you hit peak wildflower season :mrgreen: )

Looks like we're checking out Idaho's Sawtooths this year, so I'll hope to have something good to give back.

Best of Luck E'erbody!
daschmit

Post by daschmit »

Greetings, Tammy, from a fellow Nashvillian. If you have not been there before, the Sawtooths are absolutely magnificent, particularly in late September. They are very reminiscent of the Tetons, only 3,000 feet lower in elevation, and far less heavily visited. If you haven’t already seen it, here is the link to a lengthy Youtube video for a backpacking trip that the narrator made in the Sawtooths during late October:
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

McKee80 wrote:Its been strangely quiet the last week. This is my first year requesting a trip. I do have a quick question:

Is it possible to cache food at Goat Haunt? I haven't been able to find any information on this. I'd be passing by there halfway through an eight night trip and it would be nice to save the weight (and space).

Thanks,
Sean
Hey Sean,

Yes, it is possible to cache food at the Goat Haunt bear box. I did it about 5 years ago. We checked with the rangers on duty at the time and they said it was okay. They actually removed the food for several days and stored it in the station because they were concerned that some visitors from the boat at Goat Haunt may disturb the food. So it's okay to do, but there is some risk because you get a lot of people going through there and some of them have no idea and just do what they please.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Post by McKee80 »

paul wrote: Yes, it is possible to cache food at the Goat Haunt bear box. I did it about 5 years ago. We checked with the rangers on duty at the time and they said it was okay. They actually removed the food for several days and stored it in the station because they were concerned that some visitors from the boat at Goat Haunt may disturb the food. So it's okay to do, but there is some risk because you get a lot of people going through there and some of them have no idea and just do what they please.
Thanks Paul, that's great. Now I just need a permit :)

Sean
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Thanks for the info Daschmit! Will check out video and reach out via PM.

Again Good Luck Everyone. Would enjoy seeing what itineraries you all land.
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Post by NDjason »

Seemed a little slower this morning than last year, but application away!
~ jason
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Post by cdsmith379 »

It was slower this year. First attempt kicked me out and I had to go through all the pages again. Timestamp 10:02:38 AM EDT. Good luck everyone.
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Post by McKee80 »

Yep, I got timed out, too. 10:04:02. Probably not going to get the job done. We'll see. Good luck everyone.
Syrio

Post by Syrio »

Can't even get to the form. They shouldn't use pay.gov if it can't handle it.

Return to “Backcountry Permits”