Northern Backcountry Hikes at the end of July

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

joshillian
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Northern Backcountry Hikes at the end of July

Post by joshillian »

My son and I are trying to plan a backcountry hike starting at Kintla or Bowman on July 28 and exiting either Chief Mountain or at Many Glacier 6 days later. One unique opportunity that we are trying to seize upon is that we will have other family members in the area that will be able to transport us to Kintla and from Chief Mountain/Many Glaicer.

How plausible is that itinerary at the end of July? I've been reading elsewhere that many times campgrounds near the Brown and Boulder Passes don't open until the first week in August.

Just wondering if we need to radically rethink our plans.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Northern Backcountry Hikes at the end of July

Post by orin »

If you consult

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/ ... ap-Web.pdf

you will see that Boulder and Hole campgrounds don't take reservations until 8/1. Brown starts taking reservations on 7/15. So when you send in your reservation request don't ask for those camps before those dates. Depending on snow conditions, it is possible that those camps will open earlier. If so you might be able to modify your itinerary when you arrive to take advantage. But your reservation request has to work without them in case they don't.
joshillian
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Northern Backcountry Hikes at the end of July

Post by joshillian »

Thank you, Orin! Very much appreciated!

Return to “Backcountry Permits”