New online backcountry question

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

bkfilms
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

New online backcountry question

Post by bkfilms »

Hey Group, question regarding the new process. I have hike Glacier 4 other times for long treks, 20+ days each time. I am hoping to come out this summer and do 15 days, the first leg will be about 4 days, then I exit and cross a road which I understand starts a new permit. The second leg is the other 11 days across the Northern traverse or Northern loop. In the past when I was out for long extended back country treks I could list all that I wanted even when exiting out on a road and back in, with one application…. understanding that I would still be paying for two permits. I want to make sure I can do the whole leg or a variation of my goal for the whole 15 days, so rather not apply just for the 11 and hope to get the other 4 with a walk up (which may be my only option), or submit two applications and only be awarded only the 4 day trip.
Can I list my wish list of all 15 days (2 permits) on one application any more?
Dose anyone have any advise on how to do this?
Thanks, love this Glacier Chat Page, used it many time for past trip as well to advise folks on their trips. Thanks Dave!

BK Miller
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: New online backcountry question

Post by joybird »

Hello!

I don't think that it is accurate that you have to start a new permit if you "cross a road". From the GNP Backcountry Camping page:

"Trip Itineraries
Itineraries must be contiguous. You cannot exit one trailhead and drive to another trailhead to access campgrounds on the same trip. Note: Hiking short road sections on foot—Many Glacier and Two Medicine developed areas, Crossing Going to the Sun Road at Jackson Glacier Overlook—to connect longer itineraries is permitted."

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/backcountry.htm

However, if you have specific questions, I recommend calling or e-mailing the BC office.

Good luck!
Jen

Re: New online backcountry question

Post by Jen »

Yes!

Call them up! "Sara" was very patient with my permit questions this year!

Return to “Backcountry Permits”