Advance Reservation Permit Pickup - A Senior Moment?

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Advance Reservation Permit Pickup - A Senior Moment?

Post by sbosecker »

I'm trying to figure out if I'm having a Senior Moment or...

I thought I had a dim memory that, in the past, one could pick up a Backcountry Permit that was the result of an Advance Reservation up to 48 hours prior to the start of the itinerary. I had always picked it up the day before but I thought I had read somewhere that I could have come in earlier.

I was trying to verify that (48 hours) via the Glacier NP website but I can't find a reference to when one can get the permit associated with an Advance Reservation... the only thing I could find on the web site was regarding walk up permits could be given out 24 hours prior to an itinerary's start.

EDIT: While eating supper I realized that the email I received with the notice that I had been granted an Advance Reservation might have some information. I found that email and, sure enough, there was a printed URL (not an actual link) that the email indicated would provide more information regarding my Advance Reservation.

When I cut & pasted that URL into my browser I could read a PDF file that indicated I could pick up the permit "...no sooner than 24 hours in advance of trip departure..."

So...

Does anyone recall it ever being 48 hours in advance of trip departure?

I suspect I've garbled this memory and the 48 hours was for some other item but I thought I'd see what foks here remembered.

Scott
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Advance Reservation Permit Pickup - A Senior Moment?

Post by Ear Mountain »

I have never seen an ability to pick up backcountry permit earlier than 24 hours before departure. In other works the earliest one has always been able to pick up their permit was first thing in the morning the DAY BEFORE the start of their trip.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Advance Reservation Permit Pickup - A Senior Moment?

Post by sbosecker »

Ear Mountain wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:42 pm I have never seen an ability to pick up backcountry permit earlier than 24 hours before departure. In other works the earliest one has always been able to pick up their permit was first thing in the morning the DAY BEFORE the start of their trip.
Ear Mountain,

Thanks,,, I must have been confusing this pickup constraint with something else.

Best regards,

Scott

Return to “Backcountry Permits”