BC Campgrounds - The Best of the Rest?

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

BC Campgrounds - The Best of the Rest?

Post by Sue Z »

Hello Glacier Gurus!

I'm in the very lucky position of having checked off most of my bucket list of backpacking hikes in GNP. They have all been spectacular! So now what?

With the Date of Destiny (March 17th) quickly approaching, it's time for me to consult the Glacier Hive Mind to figure out where to camp next.

Here's what I've already done:
KLE-UPK-BOU-HOL-BOW-BLE
CME-GAB-GLH-STO-KOO-GSE
JOE-SPERRY CHALET-STE
TNE-OLD-TSE
CBE-ATL-MOR-CBE
LPE-GRANITE PARK CHALET-SCE

Here's what I'd like do this year:
CRACKER LAKE

Which other BC campgrounds would you recommend (without retracing my steps too much)?
Must have either a lovely hike or a lovely campground.
Note: 1. I'll be there in early September. 2. I'm old and increasingly lazy. [Edit] 3. My group will have 2 cars, so no problem with shuttling.

Is it worth staying at COBALT LAKE for a night, so I can make a side trip up to see Two Medicine Pass? Should I add UPT, or is it too crowded with day hikers to offer a nice experience?

I've never stayed at Fifty Mountain. Is it worth crawling up to Flattop and spending the night there in order to get to Fifty the next day? I hear the Sue Lake overlook is a nice side hike.

I've day hiked to the Ptarmigan Tunnel and enjoyed the view from the other side, but I haven't camped at ELF or HEL. Time to check them out?

What about the Quartz Lake Loop, and all the other west side lakes (besides Kintla and Bowman)" Are any of them worth the overnight trip?

Red Eagle Foot?

I'd like to check out Firebrand Pass. Is LUE-OLL-OLC-FSE a nice trip, or is it better to just day hike to Firebrand Pass?

If none of the remaining campgrounds are all that interesting, I might try to revisit Boulder Pass, or maybe stay at GUN and ELL instead of day hiking past them.

Thanks, everybody. Wishing you all good health and happiness. And hiking.

My best,
Last edited by Sue Z on Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Z
McKee80
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: BC Campgrounds - The Best of the Rest?

Post by McKee80 »

I've only stayed at a handful of sites, but I really liked Mokowanis Lake. It's beautiful, small (only two spots), and sometimes there are moose around. The view of pyramid peak from the food prep area is sweet. We spent two nights there and took side trips to Lake Margaret (which is insanely pretty and an easy hike) and the Sue Lake bench, which is equally pretty and less easy. But amazing views to Margaret and beyond. And you can walk to Chaney Glacier around the base of Mt Kipp. It would be re-tracing your steps, though.
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

McKee80 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:17 pm I've only stayed at a handful of sites, but I really liked Mokowanis Lake. It's beautiful, small (only two spots), and sometimes there are moose around. The view of pyramid peak from the food prep area is sweet. We spent two nights there and took side trips to Lake Margaret (which is insanely pretty and an easy hike) and the Sue Lake bench, which is equally pretty and less easy. But amazing views to Margaret and beyond. And you can walk to Chaney Glacier around the base of Mt Kipp. It would be re-tracing your steps, though.
The awesome side hikes would make revisiting that area worthwhile. Thanks!
Sue Z
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

You might want to do a trip into the Belly River with an itinerary like this.

Going in at Chief Mtn.
COS--> MOL-->MOL--> ELF-->out at Chief Mtn, or back to Many Glacier via the Ptarmigan Tunnel if you can solve the shuttle problem.
An early start will get you to COS with time to hike to Bear Mt overlook.
COS to MOL is relatively easy with not much elevation gain or loss.
Two nights at MOL give you plenty of time explore at and around Margaret Lake(highly recommended). Then come back and "chill" for the evening.
MOL to ELF is about 9.7 miles, but again, with the fairly easy day before, hiking to ELF shouldn't be too hard.
Again, not much elevation gain or loss. ELF is a beautiful camp ground. Very popular which is why it's a one night limit.
You can substitute among the various campsites along this Belly River route and still make a nice itinerary.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

PeteE wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:51 pm You might want to do a trip into the Belly River with an itinerary like this.

Going in at Chief Mtn.
COS--> MOL-->MOL--> ELF-->out at Chief Mtn, or back to Many Glacier via the Ptarmigan Tunnel if you can solve the shuttle problem.
An early start will get you to COS with time to hike to Bear Mt overlook.
COS to MOL is relatively easy with not much elevation gain or loss.
Two nights at MOL give you plenty of time explore at and around Margaret Lake(highly recommended). Then come back and "chill" for the evening.
MOL to ELF is about 9.7 miles, but again, with the fairly easy day before, hiking to ELF shouldn't be too hard.
Again, not much elevation gain or loss. ELF is a beautiful camp ground. Very popular which is why it's a one night limit.
You can substitute among the various campsites along this Belly River route and still make a nice itinerary.

pete :wink:
Clever suggestion, as it gets me to ELF, as well!
Shuttle is no problem - group will have two cars. I'll edit my first post to mention that.
Thanks!
Sue Z
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Great post, I was thinking on doing similar for feedback on my permit ideas for this year.

Good suggestions on Belly River.

I really like the tunnel (both sides), but am always uneasy with the reservation because the trail from Many Glacier is often closed for bears.

Gunsight Pass would be another recommendation. If you're looking for longer, perhaps start at St Mary and stay at Red Eagle and Reynolds. Or add Snyder Lake.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

zozeppelin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:46 pm ...I really like the tunnel (both sides), but am always uneasy with the reservation because the trail from Many Glacier is often closed for bears...
One of the advantages of beginning a backpack at Chief Mountain is that if you end your trip at say, COS, ELH, ELF, you then have a choice of going out at Chief Mountain, or Many Glacier(if you have transport figured out).

Obviously that choice doesn't work if you need the tunnel and the Iceberg Lake trail open to do different itinerary that continues on like an West to East Northern traverse ending at Many Glacier.

The Belly River is pretty scenic territory. So doing any form of "out and back" isn't the worst trip in the park. 8)

pete
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Sue,
Here's what I'd like do this year:
CRACKER LAKE
I’ve done Cracker Lake a couple of times, and I do highly recommend it, as long as you have good weather. It is an amazing place to have to yourself in the evenings and mornings. The dayhikers typically clear out in the late afternoon, and most of those there do not go down to the backcountry site. A couple of issues:

1. Wind. The backcountry rangers will warn you of this for good reason. We almost lost our tent once while setting up and would have if 4 people hadn’t been holding on to it. It was that windy. But fortunately, the wind died down by evening. I would watch not only the weather but the wind forecast, and have a backup plan if high winds are predicted for your stay.

2. Exposure. The area around the campground is wide open as far as vegetation, so on a sunny day, there are not many places to find shade and if it rains, your only shelter is your tent. This also explains why the wind is an issue there. I have entertained the idea of spending 2 nights here to explore the other side of the lake, but the full sun exposure could be an issue on a warm day.

3. Pit Toilet. It’s always disgusting and overused, due to the amount of dayhikers. Also, it’s a good distance from the campground. But that does make for a gorgeous early morning walk.
Is it worth staying at COBALT LAKE for a night, so I can make a side trip up to see Two Medicine Pass? Should I add UPT, or is it too crowded with day hikers to offer a nice experience?
I would definitely recommend Cobalt Lake with a dayhike to Medicine Pass. I have never camped at Cobalt, but have dayhiked there, and it seems like a nice little campground. I would skip UPT, personally. It’s too highly visited by dayhikers and I’ve seen many walking through the campsites, even eating there, and there is not a good place that I’ve seen to sit and hang out by the lake.
I've never stayed at Fifty Mountain. Is it worth crawling up to Flattop and spending the night there in order to get to Fifty the next day? I hear the Sue Lake overlook is a nice side
If you want to add FIF to an itinerary, maybe try it the opposite of what you suggested, and start from Logan and do Granite Park first, then Fifty Mt, then Flattop. Now someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I’ve heard and read, it’s easier to go this direction because you avoid the hump up to Flattop but maybe this adds another big climb somewhere else?
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

zozeppelin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:46 pm
Gunsight Pass would be another recommendation. If you're looking for longer, perhaps start at St Mary and stay at Red Eagle and Reynolds. Or add Snyder Lake.
I've never stayed at Red Eagle Foot nor Reynolds. Didn't think of going into Gunsight that way. Nice idea! (How's that 14-mile day? It looks flat enough. And it seems like there would be nice lake views?)

Thanks!
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

zozeppelin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:46 pm
I've never stayed at Red Eagle Foot nor Reynolds. Didn't think of going into Gunsight that way. Nice idea! (How's that 14-mile day? It looks flat enough. And it seems like there would be nice lake views?)

Thanks!
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

teapot57 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:03 am I’ve done Cracker Lake a couple of times, and I do highly recommend it, as long as you have good weather. It is an amazing place to have to yourself in the evenings and mornings. The dayhikers typically clear out in the late afternoon, and most of those there do not go down to the backcountry site. A couple of issues:

1. Wind. The backcountry rangers will warn you of this for good reason. We almost lost our tent once while setting up and would have if 4 people hadn’t been holding on to it. It was that windy. But fortunately, the wind died down by evening. I would watch not only the weather but the wind forecast, and have a backup plan if high winds are predicted for your stay.

2. Exposure. The area around the campground is wide open as far as vegetation, so on a sunny day, there are not many places to find shade and if it rains, your only shelter is your tent. This also explains why the wind is an issue there. I have entertained the idea of spending 2 nights here to explore the other side of the lake, but the full sun exposure could be an issue on a warm day.

3. Pit Toilet. It’s always disgusting and overused, due to the amount of dayhikers. Also, it’s a good distance from the campground. But that does make for a gorgeous early morning walk.
I would definitely recommend Cobalt Lake with a dayhike to Medicine Pass. I have never camped at Cobalt, but have dayhiked there, and it seems like a nice little campground. I would skip UPT, personally. It’s too highly visited by dayhikers and I’ve seen many walking through the campsites, even eating there, and there is not a good place that I’ve seen to sit and hang out by the lake.
Thanks for the excellent intel on Cracker, Cobalt and UPT.
If you want to add FIF to an itinerary, maybe try it the opposite of what you suggested, and start from Logan and do Granite Park first, then Fifty Mt, then Flattop. Now someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I’ve heard and read, it’s easier to go this direction because you avoid the hump up to Flattop but maybe this adds another big climb somewhere else?
You're absolutely right. I was just hoping to avoid the crowds on the Highline by sneaking in the back way. Won't do it if the climb and the campground are truly awful, though.

Thanks!
Sue Z
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

Fifty Mountain is so nice I would put up with almost anything to get there. The trail up to Flattop is not my favorite. It is in the burn all the way and is south facing so kind of a slog on a hot day. The campground is fine but not exceptional. On the other hand I really enjoyed the trail between Flattop and Fifty. It crosses a broad relatively flat mountaintop with great views both east and west. And the Sue Lake overlook is one of my favorite places in all of Glacier.

i also like Red Eagle Lake. The campground is also in a burn and can get hot in the middle of the day but it has good views and earlier in the season the flowers are amazing. Last time I was there I shuttled to St. Mary Falls and took the lakeshore trail to Red Eagle Lake and then out to St. Mary entrance the next day.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Looking for some advice on a Two Medicine to McDonald Lake route. I have done gunsight pass before, but never been in the Two Medicine area, so appreciate the insight.

I think I have landed on my ideal permit as NON-ATL-REF-REY-ELL.

That said, Red Eagle and Reynolds are more or less fixed because they are the logical stopping points, where the next camp would be much too far.

My questions and alternatives are:
Recommendation on Red Eagle Foot or Head?
Recommendation on Atlantic Creek or Morning Star Lake?
Recommendation on No Name or Upper Two Medicine? Cobalt would be nice, but even going COB-MOR-REF would break me (and over 17 miles so only a walkin modification at that).
Ideally I could push to Gunsight instead of Renyolds, but not sure I have that in the tank, as I've stayed about both and definitely prefer GUN+SPE over REY+ELL.
Sidetrips worth considering?
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

zozeppelin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:06 pm

My questions and alternatives are:
Recommendation on Red Eagle Foot or Head?
Recommendation on Atlantic Creek or Morning Star Lake?
Recommendation on No Name or Upper Two Medicine? Cobalt would be nice, but even going COB-MOR-REF would break me (and over 17 miles so only a walkin modification at that).
Ideally I could push to Gunsight instead of Renyolds, but not sure I have that in the tank, as I've stayed about both and definitely prefer GUN+SPE over REY+ELL.
I favor Red Eagle Foot over REH for better overall views. As for ATL vs MOR, Morningstar is the clear winner.

For side trips, Florence Falls is interesting. When I did it last, the trail to the Falls was becoming quite overgrown, however. And there is the spur trail to what is left of the Blackfoot Glacier area, accessed after the swinging bridge at Gunsight.
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

zozeppelin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:06 pm Recommendation on Atlantic Creek or Morning Star Lake?
Totally agree with wnysteve - Morning Star Lake is much nicer than Atlantic Creek. What ATL does have going for it, however, is location, and that can be everything on a long hike.
As for side trips, Medicine Grizzly Lake offers a chance to see moose, if you've got the energy.
Sue Z

Return to “Backcountry Permits”