2020 Backcountry Permits

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2020 Backcountry Permits

Post by PeteE »

zozeppelin wrote:Pete, thanks as always for the insight (and pictures)!

My only request, is that if the park gates are open, let people do walk-in reservations regardless of site and trail status (wildlife and snow hazards aside). Treat them like undesignated permits (in terms of trail and camp condition expectations) - the point being 'clear' trails and 'non-winter status' camps, and the staff/resource needs that go along with it, should not be prerequisites for backcountry camping.

If a person(s) can provide their own transportation and understands the trail/camp status compromise, what good reason is for them not to be able to do it? I see little to no additional resources needed and little to no disease risk, especially considering any other park open related activity.

The only argument I could see is there is an inherent safety risk of having limited resources for evac, but I would argue there would be appreciable less risk of the need for evac due to the pedigree of hiker who would be much better on average due to decreased glamping conditions. I can appreciate it's really easy to punt backcountry to 2021 by assuming standard condition requirements and subsequent staffing requirements, but I'd hope some logic and compromise can be had.
You're forgetting that we now live in a "Nanny State". Everyone is afraid of being sued if people are allowed to do as you and I would advocate. When people get hurt these days they immediately look for "somebody" to blame---and then sue.
So the one size fits all solution is invoked and we're all punished. Better to close everything down than allowing some of us to assume the risk of going camping on our own. It's pathetic, but that's the way it is in the 21st Century.
This same logic is part of why there will be cell service in the park soon. The Nanny Staters will demand it along with the big Cell Phone companies.
Some "wilderness" experience huh?
The Beartooth and the Bob are looking better every day! 8)
I agree with a lot of what you say.
This is from Memorial Day weekend 2015 on the way to Bowman Lake.
If you aren't willing to deal with this sort of thing--stay home
8)
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-5q2 ... f-1920.mp4
Last edited by PeteE on Sat May 02, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Post by cdsmith379 »

I received my backcountry reservation for North Cascades NP, so other national parks are continuing to grant them.

Not sure why Glacier has chosen not to.
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Post by NDjason »

cdsmith379 wrote:I received my backcountry reservation for North Cascades NP, so other national parks are continuing to grant them.

Not sure why Glacier has chosen not to.
What's your route in NCNP? We backpacked there last summer and had a great trip (Copper Ridge - Chilliwack River Loop).
~ jason

Return to “Backcountry Permits”