2021 Backcountry Permit Applications: Date for submittal now March 17

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

Selkie
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2021 Backcountry Permit Applications: Date for submittal now March 17

Post by Selkie »

Paul,
I really enjoyed your Winds trip. Had in mind possibly trying to link the Winds to my two Yellowstone backpacks in September (Canada being closed), but the distance between is too great. So I hope you are able to develop another fine itinerary.

(From someone who has haunted car reservation sites: best to get that in place soonest.
Agencies sold down inventory last year, in absence of business travel (and now chip shortage). Cars are being transferred from less in demand locations that business travelers don't use to fill the needs of major airports, so rates are rising everywhere.
Think $200-400 per day.)

paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by paul »

Hi Selkie,

Thanks for the tip on car reservations. If it's that high per day, I don't know if I could pull the trigger for a 7 day rental. I look into getting this done soon. Still wish I could go to Glacier though. My BC permit application was rejected today, ugh!

Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir

teapot57

Post by teapot57 »

So yesterday I got my second and final permit. I had submitted two permit applications, one for a 2-3 night trip within a one week date range, and the second for a 3 night trip anytime between August 1 and September 15, but in the notes I carved out the date range that I used for the first permit and specifically asked them not to give me anything during that time.

Neither permit that I received was close to what I requested, and they are both one night permits for the exact same date! I got one night at REH, and on the second permit I got the SAME night at Lake Isabel.

Not quite what I was looking for, but you win some, you lose some.

Sorry, Paul. That’s a bummer, especially since it’s been awhile since you’ve been to Glacier.

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Neither permit that I received was close to what I requested, and they are both one night permits for the exact same date! I got one night at REH, and on the second permit I got the SAME night at Lake Isabel.
That's very weird Tina. How could they make that mistake?
Dear Backcountry Permit Applicant,
We have processed your Advance Reservation Application and were unable to confirm any of your itinerary choices.

Got this yesterday regarding my other app.
But I still have the 3 nights at ATL so no whining from me.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

FWIW....The car rental business working out of KGPI has some problems, and apparently KGPI isn't alone.
Among the challenges that car rental companies face at the moment is "limited supply".
Or often they might have the wrong "mix" of models available. In some cases, they sold off SUVs__POPular with tourist families-- during covid
Aand kept more "business model cars"--Not popular for tourists with families.
Many rental outfits sold off inventory a year ago due to covid-19. So there's an overall shortage of vehicles available right now.
Limited supply facing high demand. So best get working on your rental, if you don't have one yet.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

teapot57 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:16 am
So yesterday I got my second and final permit. I had submitted two permit applications, one for a 2-3 night trip within a one week date range, and the second for a 3 night trip anytime between August 1 and September 15, but in the notes I carved out the date range that I used for the first permit and specifically asked them not to give me anything during that time.

Not quite what I was looking for, but you win some, you lose some.

Sorry, Paul. That’s a bummer, especially since it’s been awhile since you’ve been to Glacier.
Hey Tina,

What date were the permits for? Which one do you plan to use?

Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir

teapot57

Post by teapot57 »

Hey Tina,

What date were the permits for? Which one do you plan to use?

Paul
August 8. I’ll FB Messenger you