Old News

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Old News

Post by llholmes1948 »

Old news from the Yesterdays Column of the Hungry Horse News:

40 years ago

Aug. 7, 1975

Three Park visitors, a family from Illinois, were attacked in the morning by a bear on the trail to Grinnell Glacier. The bear species was unknown at the time. Injuries were serious but not critical.

50 years ago

Aug. 6, 1965

A trail from Canada to Mexico along the Continental Divide was proposed and President Johnson requests trails information from the National Park Service. A portion of the trail would run through Glacier Park.
Diego
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Old News

Post by Diego »

A few weeks after the family was attacked, two emps were hiking the Cracker Lake trail and were attacked by a sow with two cubs. They had talked about what would they do if attacked, because of the family being attacked. I can't remember their names for the life of me, but one was a bell hop, I think, at GPL. He was grabbed out of the tree they had climbed, and ended up needing over 100 stitches. He finally got the sow to leave by doing what he had planned, getting off a karate kick to the bears nose. His face, legs and back were clawed up. They had to walk back several miles to the trailhead to get help. Sure wish I could remember their names.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Old News

Post by llholmes1948 »

Thanks for that additional information.

I believe I was in the Park visiting for a couple weeks in 1975 at the time of the Grinnell Glacier trail incident and I vaguely recall reading about this incident in the Hungry Horse News at the time.

My recollection from reading about the incident was that a family of three were hiking to Grinnell Glacier. The young boy in the family was hiking in advance of the other family members, surprised a bear and was attacked and injured.

A similar incident occurred in one of the Park's rare mountain lion attacks. In that incident a child was hiking on a trail in advance of other family members and was attacked and injured by a lion.

I have taken those incidents to be rather instructive that parents should be sure that children hike with the party and not get too far ahead or behind the rest of the group.

Lyman

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”