What's September like?

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Carol Lynn
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

What's September like?

Post by Carol Lynn »

First, I've gotta say how glad I am that this forum is still here! I wasn't able to log on for quite a few days several months ago so I thought the forum had died. I'm glad I tried it one more time. Now I'll have to catch up on Pete's photos!

I'm thinking about planning a trip for September 2022. I've been to the park twice before, but both times in July. I would really like to avoid the crowds I keep reading about and the reservation system if that still exists next year, so that has me thinking about September. I want to be able to stay at the Many Glacier Hotel (my favorite hotel ever!) which closes Sep 13, 2022, so I suppose I would start my trip around Sep 8 for 10-14 days. What kind of weather conditions might I expect during that time frame? Any other considerations I should take into account at that time of year? I'm not a backpacker, or even a big hiker, but just enjoy photographing the beautiful landscapes and wildlife of the park.

Thanks!
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Re: What's September like?

Post by PeteE »

Carol Lynn wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:05 pm First, I've gotta say how glad I am that this forum is still here! I wasn't able to log on for quite a few days several months ago so I thought the forum had died. I'm glad I tried it one more time. Now I'll have to catch up on Pete's photos!👍👍😎

I'm thinking about planning a trip for September 2022. I've been to the park twice before, but both times in July. I would really like to avoid the crowds I keep reading about and the reservation system if that still exists next year, so that has me thinking about September. I want to be able to stay at the Many Glacier Hotel (my favorite hotel ever!) which closes Sep 13, 2022, so I suppose I would start my trip around Sep 8 for 10-14 days.

What kind of weather conditions might I expect during that time frame?
This not the answer you want, but here's my 2cents.
The weather can be quite variable. It can be hot, but more likely will be mild to warm days and cool nights.
If you're lucky, and a cold front, even a weak one, moves through, the air clarity will be good to really good. :)
Bring what you need for wind and chilly weather. Cold fronts can be strong yet "dry(ish)".
The air clarity is sometimes just awesome. Landscape photo time for sure!
Some recent September photos

September 21 2020. You don't have to hike very far at all to get some great images.
This a seven image pano shot from Sun Point at 0720---maybe a 100 yards from the parking lot.
Not another soul there but me. This "screen" image pales in comparison to the 36" print(which is very sharp)
The sun lit peaks "glow" a golden color in the print :)

More from that day here https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/GTTS- ... /n-wfNGt8/

And last
September 28 2020
An early mini snow storm came through the night before and made the Logan Pass area beautiful...
For those who arrived EARLY! A lot of this snow was gone by 2-3PM
5 image pano
More from that day here https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Logan ... /n-X6CsBZ/

Any other considerations I should take into account at that time of year?
DO your reservation making the very instant you can. You cannot reserve rooms, cars, anything too soon. It IS that important imo. Many of the motels, concessions and restaurants out side the park on the East Side start shutting down in mid September.

I'm not a backpacker, or even a big hiker, but just enjoy photographing the beautiful landscapes and wildlife of the park.

As I pointed out above, you don't need to be a hiker to get good images.

Thanks!

Most welcome
pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Carol Lynn

Post by Carol Lynn »

Hi Pete,

Thanks so much for your response. Those two panos that you posted are absolutely gorgeous! I will hope for such good weather on my trip.

Carol
McKee80
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by McKee80 »

Here are some pictures from mid-Sept 2018. North Fork, Belly River areas. We had smoke, haze, crisp and clear, hot, cold, hail, snow, and rain over 9 days.

Carol Lynn

Post by Carol Lynn »

McKee - Thanks so much for posting those beautiful photos and describing the many weather conditions you experienced in September. I guess I would have to accept the chances of bad weather in return for fewer crowds.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”