June 1970 Heavy Rain

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

June 1970 Heavy Rain

Post by llholmes1948 »

I was surprised to see this item in the Yesterdays Column in the Hungry Horse News. I had just arrived at Lake McDonald Lodge for my first summer there about 5 or 6 days before this rain hit. The corner of the hotel dining room was in danger of being washed away by the rising waters of Snyder Creek. The employee rec room which was beside the creek was damaged as I recall and I think the Snyder dorm, an employee dorm beside the creek and one of the oldest buildings in the complex, was evacuated. I recall watching a Park Service bulldozer working at the mouth of Snyder Creek clearing trees and debris so the creek wouldn't back up and do more damage around the hotel. I think the Sperry Trail received some damage from this rain. At least now, thanks to this item, I know what date it was! It seemed like it rained for several days.

Lyman

"50 years ago

June 19, 1970

Heavy rains caused about $200,000 in damage to Glacier National Park. The Park saw three inches of rain in 24 hours.

The Going-to-the-Sun Road had a hole in it, trees were down, a footbridge was washed out and there was other damage. Front page photo showed a bulldozer in Snyder Creek, trying to keep water from doing more damage."
PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: June 1970 Heavy Rain

Post by PeteE »

Was there a link? 8)
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: June 1970 Heavy Rain

Post by llholmes1948 »

PeteE wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:36 pm Was there a link? 8)
This is the link to the full column:

https://hungryhorsenews.com/news/2020/j ... -a-new-10/

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”