Latest 2020 Season Opening News

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

al_in_al
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Latest 2020 Season Opening News

Post by al_in_al »

PeteE wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:38 am
orin wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:11 am I'm just going by the July 13 map that zoezeppelin posted about 3 posts back. It shows that the Firebrand Pass trail will open on the 13th.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/ ... July13.pdf
OK I see.
The trouble is that just because the trail crew has cleared the trail, or the trail is scheduled to be cleared doesn't mean squat.
The most recent information from the National Park Service(the map Al_in_Al posted) shows that EVERYTHING East of the Divide will be closed all season.
That could change of course, and probably will for trails along the GTTS road.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe GNP posted something on Fakebook. 8)
Someone may want to check that.

I'm leaving home at around 0300 this morning to drive to Avalanche to get an early start hiking to the lake.
I want to see if I can get a sunrise shot at the lake.

Cheers

pete :wink:
Pete, there *is* a new map that zoezeppelin and orin shared the link to on GNP's website. It shows that Firebrand is "in the green" (open area) starting Monday. The map that I shared is still valid through tomorrow, as far as I can tell.

The park hasn't ever said that everything east of the divide will be closed all season. But they are opening access slowly. The spokesperson said in a news article (not sure which one now) that trails in Many Glacier may open at some point to hike-in only this season, but that area is still not open as of Monday.

GNP is posting updates on social media, but all the information generally shows up on their website first. You have to check the news releases page and the status update page. They have been using Twitter to post when the GTTSR is closed due to overcrowding - but you can usually view Twitter pages without having to have an account.

Hope sunrise was good!
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor
Gender?: Male

Post by zozeppelin »

al_in_al wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:34 am
The park hasn't ever said that everything east of the divide will be closed all season. But they are opening access slowly. The spokesperson said in a news article (not sure which one now) that trails in Many Glacier may open at some point to hike-in only this season, but that area is still not open as of Monday.
Take these with a grain of salt:

Glacier National Park Facebook: It should be possible later in the summer to hike to the Grinnell Glacier Overlook off the Highline Trail, but at this point there are no plans to open the Grinnell Glacier Trail that originates in the Many Glacier valley.

Glacier National Park Status Page: Throughout 2020 some areas of the east side of the park will remain closed and trails in those areas may not be open.

Kerzman (GNP Spokesperson) said that access to popular sites in the eastern half of the park such as Many Glacier might be accessible via foot later in the year, but so far no passage across the divide is allowed.

I tend to find official social media responses often disconnected or outdated from actual policy / direction from my experience with airline and hotel programs. I think everyone official is intentionally vague as they are adjusting on the fly as the situations change, and facebook rep interpreting things literally at this point. For the majority of visitors, MG and TM will be inaccessible regardless of their trail open status due to the distance/elevation and overnight backcountry requirement (unless the Blackfeet change course, but GNP probably isn't prepared for that if they do).
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

zozeppelin, al_in_al, and orin:

Thanks for the updated information. I didn't mean to offend anyone.
It's just frustrating that available information if often sketchy and/or conflicting.
I do understand that they're "winging it", but I still believe they could do better.
I'm glad to know Firebrand Pass will be available from Monday on. :)

I got to the lake around 0545 and I could see it was gonna be no good. :(
The sky was washed out with zero clouds and there never was any "color".
The lake was calm so I may be able to salvage a reflection picture.

Would you believe there were people TENT CAMPING at the head of the lake.
I saw two, maybe three tents on that big gravel beach that is on the left as you view the upper end of the lake.
I had my new wide angle lens, but it's sharp so I'll post a pic later.
I reported it to a Ranger who notified the Park LEO.(More from the Ranger when I post my pics in photography)
Lots of trash on and around the beach too...water bottles, banana peels, candy wrappers
What the hell is wrong with people?

later

pete

PS
I'll bet there were two hundred people on the beach within a half hour of my leaving.
I'm serious. As I was coming down the upper third of the trail I saw several groups of 50 or more people heading toward the lake.
They weren't "together" as in a church group. It was just that crowded.
Reminded me of the crowds on the boardwalk on the way to the Hidden Lake overlook.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

al_in_al wrote:... The park hasn't ever said that everything east of the divide will be closed all season. But they are opening access slowly. The spokesperson said in a news article (not sure which one now) that trails in Many Glacier may open at some point to hike-in only this season, but that area is still not open as of Monday...
Yeah, I misspoke and got that wrong.
There is no East side access to the park from the Blackfeet Reservation.
So yes, they may open some of the trails on the East side to hikers, or maybe even horses.
I suspect they'll be conservative about the East side trail openings for safety reasons.
If someone gets hurt, lost, or some other emergency...it might be hard to get them out.

Thanks for pointing out my error :)

George Carlin
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

PeteE wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:12 pm Would you believe there were people TENT CAMPING at the head of the lake.
I saw two, maybe three tents on that big gravel beach that is on the left as you view the upper end of the lake.
I reported it to a Ranger who notified the Park LEO.(More from the Ranger when I post my pics in photography)
Lots of trash on and around the beach too...water bottles, banana peels, candy wrappers
:x :x :x
Seriously, what is wrong with people? That's so disappointing.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

al_in_al wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:19 pm
PeteE wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:12 pm Would you believe there were people TENT CAMPING at the head of the lake.
Not the best picture since it's cropped and blown way up, but you can see the blue tent and then what look like two more to the right of it.

George Carlin
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Website updated projected trail openings for Monday (all brought to you by 623 .... whatever happened to 650?):
St Mary Falls Trailhead to Virginia Falls
Otokomi Lake from Rising Sun (with some snow) - add this to the list of assumed backcountry sites to open soonest(along with ARR, CAM, UPK, BOW; next GUN, GRN, SPE, and hopefully REH/REF as that would be a good sign for TM).
Hidden Lake (with snow)
Gunsight Pass Trail to Florence Falls (bridge out)
Jackson Glacier overlook to both Reynolds Creek and SIyeh Bend / Piegan Pass Trails

Notably missing is the trail around St Mary to Red Eagle, which is clear.

Ironically, letter of the law says Reynolds Creek Campground could open but won't be 'reservable' because of the 'not 1st night' restriction. Although I've camped there with others that was their first permitted night (starting from JOE trailhead).
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

PeteE wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:17 pm
al_in_al wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:19 pm
Not the best picture since it's cropped and blown way up, but you can see the blue tent and then what look like two more to the right of it.
This is awful, what a shame!
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
solohiker5555

Post by solohiker5555 »

risingwolf wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:28 pm Stick a fork in it, it’s done.
Today is July 8.
Peak season ends on a late Labor Day Sept 7, 61 days away.
For those of you with late season experience, is it fair to assume the peak season for back country sites is a bit earlier than Labor Day? Please say it is so!!
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

I'm beginning to think that some people are truly swines. :shock:
The mountains are calling and I must go.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

solohiker5555 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:54 pm
risingwolf wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:28 pm Stick a fork in it, it’s done.
Today is July 8.
Peak season ends on a late Labor Day Sept 7, 61 days away.
For those of you with late season experience, is it fair to assume the peak season for back country sites is a bit earlier than Labor Day? Please say it is so!!
In a "normal" year I'd say yes.
It's anyone's guess this year.
my 2cents

George Carlin
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

Fairbanks142 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:02 am I just submitted this suggestion on the Glacier NPS site:

Here is very easy way to significantly increase awareness of the traffic and congestion issues that you're experiencing at the west side entrances: On the main Glacier NPS page, instead of the banner saying only that part of the park is closed, also include that the open entrances to the park have heavy congestion and delays.

For example: "Portions of Glacier National Park Are Closed; Limited Open Areas Are Heavily Congested; Expect Delays".)

Make it so that you can't miss this information within seconds of opening the main page. Otherwise, many visitors to the site in its current state will not go to the sub-page to carefully read the information, and they will continue to be unaware of the situation. Thanks for your consideration of this.

I'm sure that many visitors to Glacier don't even look at the NPS site....but for those that do, why not state it clearly at the top of the main page, rather than burying references to the traffic and congestion on a sub-page that most won't read?
It looks like they took your suggestion! When they updated it yesterday, they changed the headline to state "Glacier National Park Partially Reopens - Expect High Visitation Levels and Limited Parking"
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

al_in_al wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:52 am It looks like they took your suggestion! When they updated it yesterday, they changed the headline to state "Glacier National Park Partially Reopens - Expect High Visitation Levels and Limited Parking"
Yes! They replied to me a couple of days ago and thanked me for the suggestion...and I saw the page was updated as well. 8)
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Back to the demand speculation, looks like down 50% in June. July numbers will be more telling, getting torwards prime season and closures reducing/GTTSR open.

https://www.kpax.com/news/montana-news/ ... ind-normal
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

That might be one of the dumbest, most poorly written articles I've read in a while.
"...2-hunderd,2-thousand visitors" Huh?
how bout 202,000.

"Last year, nearly 8,000 people had already been to the park at this point"
8000? really?
Does anyone iin the media proof read anymore?

"Total overnight stays show some of the most dramatic drop, with the number of people sleeping in the park down 91-percent in June, and off more than 92-percent this year."

Really? That's news?
One campground open and who wants to stay in the motels and lodge under the under the current restrictions and conditions?

Did any of you expect last years numbers?

George Carlin

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”