Latest 2020 Season Opening News

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Latest 2020 Season Opening News

Post by PeteE »

al_in_al wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:49 pm Pete - I’m pretty sure that happened last season - the dates sound familiar from last year.
DUH!!!!!!!!!
I guess I'm tired from my trip and senility is setting in :(

I wasn't paying attention to the dates of that posted article.
That said...
WHY, WHY don't they delete crap like that which has no relevance anymore?
Why not write an updated version with a dateline for the current year if they want to talk about roads and construction?
How hard is that?

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

From the website:

What Do We Know About Next Summer?
At this time no decisions have been made about facilities and services in the park for the summer of 2021. The Park has not had time to assess recent information on the continued closure of roads on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation. Once we know how that may alter plans for the summer of 2021 we will share those plans here.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Good ide
zozeppelin wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:47 pm From the website:

What Do We Know About Next Summer?
At this time no decisions have been made about facilities and services in the park for the summer of 2021. The Park has not had time to assess recent information on the continued closure of roads on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation. Once we know how that may alter plans for the summer of 2021 we will share those plans here.
Good idea but I would suggest beginning a new thread for 2021 like:

Latest 2021 Season Opening News

I have nothing to base the following opinion on other than gut instinct:

I believe the Blackfeet will continue to be a problem when it comes to opening the East Side of the park.
The covid situation is not looking too good at the moment in this area.
Nobody knows yet whether or not any of the vaccines currently being administered will work, or how well they'll work.
Will the Blackfeet get themselves vaccinated, and when?
Many questions and no answers at this time.

So I'm considering spending more time in places other than GNP. That way if the park opens fully, fine and dandy.
If the East side remains closed, I'm looking elsewhere. I'm not in a mood to put up with last years crowds.
I'm looking at places nearby I can go to day hike, backpack, and wild camp.
From Kalispell, it takes me 90 minutes to get to Logan Pass, and about 2 1/2 hours to get to Many Glacier--IF traffic isn't bad.
There's a LOT of pretty nice places outside GNP I can get to in 90 minutes--even more if I allow 3 hours driving time.

just sayin' 8)

George Carlin
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

Because you live in the area you know about many of the good hiking places that are not in GNP. We are taking our chances and have made our reservations on the east side of the park. Fingers crossed we will be able to stay there. The mobs of people are unfortunate and may continue this year if this pandemic is not under control by this summer. We love Glacier but it surely has changed in the last 20 years in terms of the amt. of people going to the Park.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

calicotraveler wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:20 pm Because you live in the area you know about many of the good hiking places that are not in GNP. We are taking our chances and have made our reservations on the east side of the park. Fingers crossed we will be able to stay there. The mobs of people are unfortunate and may continue this year if this pandemic is not under control by this summer. We love Glacier but it surely has changed in the last 20 years in terms of the amt. of people going to the Park.
Hi Michele:

I didn't mean to come off sounding smug about living here with all the advantages that gives me.
I'm well aware that I'm very lucky to live out here.
And yes, it's got to be really frustrating for all of you who need to make your plans well in advance.
Some of my own family who are considering a visit are in the same situation.
Travel for everyone is going to be a big question mark for a while.

You're right about the last 20 years. I will have been here 19 years in April 2021.
I've seen a lot of the change, especially in the last 5 years. It's crazy.

The only advice I can give you and anyone else planning to come in 2021 is come "prepared" to change or modify your plans.
Make your reservations as early as possible. Some of you that heretofore haven't rented a car might want to consider it this year.
If visiting GNP becomes a problem for some last minute reason, you can go elsewhere.

I've nagged people here about getting an early start for years.
That's even more important now if you want to avoid the worst of the lines and crowds, or getting a parking place.
And that advice holds whether or not the East Side opens. Pent up demand is likely to mean more people that ever coming here.

So given that,COME ON out here! :mrgreen:
The landscape will always be here waiting.

Cheers and good luck to all those coming in 2021.

George Carlin
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

Pete,
We don't live there, but I have seen the same. We came to Glacier for the first time in 2005. I made our plans about 6 months before and had my choice of in-park accomodations. The only delays on GTTS road were for construction.The trails were open, and you could always find a spot at any trailhead (including Logan Pass) with just a couple loops through the lot.

Fast-forward a few years, and I had to start planning earlier and earlier. Now, I make our plans a year in advance (as soon as the in-park reservations are open), it takes literally hours (and 3 or more different PCs/iPads open to different browsers hoping one will get through, all while hitting redial hundreds of times to get through via the phone). It's a big difference, and exhausting, but still worth it for what we get out of our visit.

Like Pete said, we try to be flexible. I bring books and paper for writing. We try to hike the less traveled trails vs. the "Top 10." Hopefully things will settle down in the next few years, even if they don't go back to the slower pace we had when we first came there.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

brindledog,
You may wish to keep an eye on the Blackfeet COVID-19 Incident Command FB page.
This from December 29:
The Blackfeet Tribal Business Council, on December 29, 2020, by resolution, has extended Tribal Ordinance 121 until September 30, 2021.

The Blackfeet Incident Command has extended the Stay At Home Order until January 14, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
EXPLAINING THE EXTENSION:

There seems to be confusion on the extension of Tribal Ordinance 121. This extension is to allow the Incident Command Team to continue, as well as other items under the CARES Act. Also, it requires face masks, social distancing, and other CDC regulations.

The Stay At Home Order is a phased plan that allows for the reservation to open up gradually as cases continue to decline or remain closed as they increase. This is decided on in 2 week increments by the Incident Command.

The reservation businesses are governed under a Tribal Business Order which is changed on an as needed basis.

The closure to the east side of Glacier National Park is a separate issue that will be worked on by the Tribe and Glacier Park in the near future. No plans for a 2021 closure have been decided on.
Good luck!
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

Thanks, Marjorie. We actually have a reservation at St Mary for one night next August. I need a Plan B...

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”